Memmingen is a city of about 42,000 people in the German Federal State of Bavaria. The numerous courtyards, patricians' houses and fortification in its old town are well worth seeing. Due to its proximity to the Allgäu region it is also a popular base for tourists who are planning to visit the Bavarian Alps or the Lake Constance.
Memmingen can be easily reached via car, train and plane.
The railway station is about a 5minute walk away from the town center. Remember there are special train tickets for Baden-Württemberg and Bayern. With these ticket up to five people can use all regional trains for a whole day for about 30 Euro (all together). Both the Baden-Württemberg-Ticket and the Bayern-Ticket are valid for travelling to Memmingen. The Bayern-Ticket also covers the costs für the local public bus transport. More information about these tickets can be obtained from the Deutsche Bahn.
There are luggage lockers next to the building. If all lockers are in use it is suggested to ask at the DB booking office for alternatives.
The "Allgäu-Airport" is located about 2.5 km from the city centre of Memmingen. Ryanair serves the airport and offers flights from Alghero, Alicante, Dublin, Edinburgh, Faro, Girona, London-Stansted, Malaga, Manchester, Oslo-Rygge, Palma, Porto , Reus, Rome, Stockholm-Skavsta, Trapani and Valencia. Wizzair connects Memmingen with Kyiv, Lviv and Belgrade. A bus service in front of the terminal connects the airport with the train station in the centre of town. The bus ride with the bus lines 810/811 or 2 costs 2,50€ and takes about 10 minutes. A taxi from the airport to the town will cost between 10€ and 15€.
Memmingen is right at the intersection of the A7 (Hamburg - Hanover - Ulm - Memmingen Füssen) and A96 (to Austria and Munich) autobahns.
The town center is small enough to walk to all places of interest in the city. You can get a free map at the tourist office ("Stadtinformation") at the market square.
However, if you you plan to visit nearby attractions out of town taking a bus might be the right choice. The bus station is next to the train station. Tickets can be bought when entering the bus. Please check the return times in advance. After 7pm there is no regular bus service but a so called "Anrufsammeltaxi" (hailed shared taxi), where a telephone notification in advance is necessary.
If you choose to discover the countryside around Memmingen, smaller villages in the Allgäu region or if you want to follow the touristic route "Oberschwäbische Barockstraße" you may decide to hire a car. At the airport you will find the car hire agencies Sixt, Herz and Europcar. Another car hire service by Europcar is near the train station. A local car hire service called "Auto Greif" is located at Colmarerstr. 34.
- The Market place is one of the most picturesque sites in the town. It is surrounded by the town hall, the Großzunft(Guildhouse) and the Steuerhaus (tax house). On Tuesday and Saturday morning there is a farmers market held, where fresh vegetables and fruit are being sold.
- Medieval old town center
- Medieval city gates and towers: About 2 kilometers of the town wall, including five towers and five gates have been preserved.
- St. Martin's church: Seasonally from May to October the tower of the church can be visited in the course of a conducted tour. (see here, german language only). Tours in English may be possible, if you ask in advance (phone: +49-8331-856920).
- Antonierkloster: The well preserved former Hospital Brothers of St. Anthony monastery has been built in the 15th century. Today the building is used as local library, museum and event house for lectures, Kabarett or art exhibitions.
Around the old town walls where the moats used to be in the Middle Ages public park areas have been created. The moats have been filled up with exception of the "hohe Wacht" in the south of the old town and a part of the "Königsgraben" south of the "Westertorplatz". One of the parks is the Zollergarten a short woalk north of the market place.
In the north outside the old town there is a wider-ranging park named "Neue Welt". Although it is a 10-minute walk away from the center it is a popular place for relaxation. A beer garden, Kneipp facility, volleyball field, streetball court and a skate park are a part of it.
Municipal park "New World"
- Walk along the touristic routes "Roter Weg" (red route) and "Grüner Weg" (green route). These will guide you to most of the sights in town.
- Fischertag (Fisherman's day) in July
- Wallenstein Festival : with about 4,500 participants one of the biggest historical reenactments in Europe. It takes place every four years. (next time in July 2012) and commemorates the invasion by Wallenstein in 1630.
- Annual fair "Memminger Jahrmarkt" in October which is special because of its location. Public streets and places right in the town centre are closed to traffic to make room for the fair.
The major shopping street starts at the marketplace and leads directly to the Schrannenplatz.
- Zur blauen Traube, Kramerstr. 8, ☎ +49 (0)8331 3326.
- Weinstube Weber am Bach, Untere Bachgasse 2, .
- Memminger Waldhorn, Waldhornstr. 11, ☎ +49 8331 9272778, .
- Moritz, Weinmarkt 6-8, ☎ +49 (0) 8331 9299224, .
- Las Carretas, Schrannengasse 5 (on the 1st flor of a building right at the Schranenplatz), ☎ +49 (0)8331 496676. Mexican restaurant and cocktail bar. Happy hour from 7 pm to 8 pm.
- Klösterle, Im Klösterle 1, ☎ +49 (0)8331 497600. Regional meals.
- Ristorante Palazzo, Goldhoferstr. 7, ☎ +49 8331 4906855. Situated on a business park outside the inner city is one of the best Italian restaurants in the region.
- Café Hamptons, Marktplatz 16 (right at the market square), . Modern mediterranean café.
- Coffee Fellows, Am Theaterplatz, . A coffeehouse chain which is popular in southern Germany. Free WiFi.
- Hochgenuss, Schrannenplatz 6, . Modern café in the fourth floor on the roofs of the Schrannenplatz square. Also with an outdoor area and a panoramic view over the square an the "Fraunkirche" church.
For a pub crawl start your way at Lindentorstraße near the train station, head to the Schrannenplatz and then continue along the street Baumstraße. On your way you will find an amount of pubs and bars.
- Münchner Kindl, Lindentorstraße 5, ☎ +49 8331 9748899. opened daily.
- Green Tree, Baumstraße 3. Irish Pub with Thai touch.
- Gottschalks Piano Bar, Ulmer Str. 7. Pub with live music.
- Podium, Schrannenplatz, ☎ +49 8331 12276, .
Clubs and discos
- Eiskeller, An der Hohen Wacht 7 (central). Fri-Sat. Bar, Club and Lounge. The only club right at the center of Memmingen. Special location right inside an old town wall building.
- Alpenmax, Fraunhoferstr. 7, . Thu, Fri, Sat. Discotheque with one main area, an après-ski party area and a dance café.
- Underground, Allgäuer Straße 6, . Another club with two area. In walking distance of the Hotel am Südring.
- Gasthof Lindenbad, Lindenbadstraße 18 (550 metres to the station), ☎ +49 (0)8331 3278, . Supposedly the cheapest way to stay in Memmingen. Less than a 10 minutes walk to the town center. SGL 25/30€; DBL 50/60€; BKF 5€; garage 5€. (47.989392,10.188648)
- Pension Erb, Zollergraben 5 (centrally located only 3 minutes walking distance from the market square; 600m to the station), ☎ +49 (0)8331 - 8 48 68, . Very central and yet quiet and reasonably priced. Breakfast included. SGL 41€; DBL 71€.
- Gasthof Schwabenhof, Illerstraße 42 (1.4 km to the station), ☎ +49 (09 83 31- 6 28 72, . Located outside the city center. Might be a choice for low-budget tourists. SGL 39€; DBL 68€.
- Hotel Weisses Ross, Salzstr. 12 (400m to the station. Very central.), ☎ +49 8331 936-0, . Ideally located, good reputation. SGL 79€; DBL 115€; TPL 135€.
- Hotel Falken, Roßmarkt 3 - 5 (500m to the station), ☎ +49 (0) 833 194 510, . SGL 75/78 €; 100/120,00€; TPL 138€; EB 19€; dog 8,50€.
- Hotel Engelkeller, Königsgraben 9 (850m to the station), ☎ +49(0)8331-98 444 90, . SGL 82€; DBL 118€; EB 25€; baby cot 18€; dog 8€, parking 0€. (47.985732,10.176322)
- Drexel's Parkhotel, Ulmer Str. 7 (next to the city hall; 700m to the station), ☎ +49 (0)8331 9320, . SGL 63-89€ DBL 84-117€.
A post office in the inner city of Memmingen can be found at Lindentorstr. 22.
Other post offices:
- Machnigstr. 4
- Augsburger Str. 90
- Wernher-von-Braun-Str. 21
- Dr.-Karl-Lenz-Str. 4
- Oberer Kirchweg 1
There is an internet cafe "Internet Café Unlimited" at Kalchstr. 35.
At some cafes like the Coffee Fellows and the Cafê Rau you can get free access usin WLAN.
- Buxheim Charterhouse
- Schwäbisches Bauernhofmuseum in Illerbeuren: Swabian Open-Air Museum with historic farmhouses. Weekdays it can be reached by bus.
- Benedictine abbey church in the village of Ottobeuren. The abbey can be reached by regional bus from the central bus station (next to the train station) in Memmingen.
Citys of touristic interest around Memmingen can be reached easily by train od by car: