Melbourne/StonningtonMelbourne : Stonnington
Stonnington is an area and municipality in Melbourne, just south-east of the City Center. It includes the main centres of South Yarra, Prahran and Toorak. The area is regarded among Melburnians as one of the most desirable and expensive places to live. It is very popular for its high-end shopping and exquisite dining, especially along Toorak Road in South Yarra, and Chapel Street in Prahran. Famous attractions in this district include the beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens, the Prahran Market and the Shrine of Rememberance.
Stonnington lies just south-east of the City Center and can be easily reached by car, tram and suburban train.
Tram 8 runs along Swanston Street in the City Center to South Yarra and Toorak along Domain Road and then Toorak Road, terminating at the junction of Toorak and Glenferrie Roads. From the City Center, South Yarra is about 15 to 20 minutes away. Toorak is another 5 to 10 minutes away. Prahran is best reached from the City Center by Tram 6 (towards Glen Iris).
South Yarra station is served by four suburban train lines - Cranbourne, Pakenham, Frankston and Sandringham. The station is located along Toorak Road. Toorak station is on the Frankston lines and is located along Malvern Road in the southern part of the suburb. Prahran station is on the Sandringham line, and is located just off High St.
The main thoroughfare in South Yarra and Toorak is Toorak Road. Chapel Street forms a major thoroughfare between South Yarra and Prahran. The best access from the City Center is via St Kilda Road, turning left at Toorak Rd, Commercial Rd or High St.
- Prahran Market is the small version of the Victoria Markets. Locals love it and shop for fresh veggies, organic food, fish and delicatessen.
The Chapel Street shopping district in Prahran is often called the 'longest catwalk in the Southern Hemisphere'. It begins in Windsor in the south and runs to the Toorak Road intersection. The shopping strip is full of hundreds of local designer boutiques, big name fashion stores and denim specialists. It's also a great place to experience Melbourne's world-renowned café culture. Greville Street is a must-visit, lined with quirky boutiques and eateries.
Toorak Road runs through the centre of South Yarra through to Toorak. Like Chapel Street, it is filled to the brim with brand-name stores and local boutiques.
The Jam Factory Shopping Centre  in South Yarra is another trendy place to shop, set in a historic building with an interesting history. Along with clothes and food, there is also a cinema complex.
- Alannah Hill, 533 Chapel St, South Yarra, ☎ +613 9826 2755. With designs ranging from ultra feminine to almost theatrical, Alannah Hill clothes still have mainstream appeal due to great cuts and good use of fabrics. edit
- Chapel Bazaar, 217-223 Chapel St, Prahran, ☎ +613 9529 1727. Retro reigns supreme at this undercover market where stallholders sell off their trinkets and treasures. edit
- Cyberia, 579 Chapel St, Prahran, ☎ +613 9824 1339. Designer threads for the well-heeled missers and misters. edit
- Greville Records, 152 Greville St, Prahran, ☎ +613 9510 3012. Music lovers haven for specialised titles, tickets for concerts and great advice on the next big thing in music. edit
- Bacash, Domain Road, South Yarra. It is an amazing restaurant serving the best seafood in Melbourne. It is located next to the Botanical Gardens and offeres excellent service and an amazing wine list.
- Hoo Haa, 105 Chapel St, Windsor, ☎ 9529 6900. Although hard to find, Hoo Haa makes up for it by showcasing a whimsical and eclectic decor that caters favorably to its clientele of swish and swank 20 and 30 somethings. edit
- France Soir, 11 Toorak Rd South Yarra, ☎ 98668569. One of the most highly awarded restaurants in Australia, France Soir, as its name suggests, serves food that is as French as it gets. Owner and sommelier Jean-Paul Prunetti has more than 1500 different European and Australian wines on offer. Definitely a treat. edit
- Fritz Gelato and Donuts, Prahran Market, Stall 120 Elizabeth Street South Yarra, ☎ 9826 6114. Mon Closed Tue 7.30am-5.30pm Wed Closed Thur 7.30am–5:30pm Frid 7:30am–6pm Sat 7.00am–5:30pm Sun 10.00am–4pm. An award winning Italian style icecream store. edit
Chapel Street and Toorak Road has some of the best nightlife in Australia, with most clubs open 24 hours!
- Lyall Champagne Bar, 14 Murphy St,South Yarra, ☎ 98688222. Enjoy the finest fizz in this opulent but laidback setting that has a glamorous feel. edit
- Red Orange Bar, 194 Commercial Road,South Yarra, ☎ 9510 3654. Great spot for after work drinks or a tipple on the weekend. Has an all weather courtyard that is enjoyable throughout all seasons. edit
- LOST, 30 Bray Street, South Yarra, ☎ 03 9915 8100. 7am-1am. Award winning gourmet pizzas and cocktails with a modern Italian cuisine. edit
- Borsch, Vodka and Tears, 173 Chapel Street, Prahan, ☎ +61-3-9530-2694, . Borsch, Vodka and Tears is a Polish vodka bar, serving quite a number of genuine Polish vodkas, a number of other vodkas and a reasonable amount of decidedly non-Polish absinthe. Ordering vodka in the slightly smaller tasting glasses is a comparitively economical way to drink. edit
- BlueBar, 330 Chapel Street, Prahran, ☎ 9529 6499. With a hip, almost too cool for school clientele, BlueBar draws in its punters with a relaxed, chilled out vibe and a consisently busy crowd. edit
- Electric Ladyland, 265 Chapel Street, Prahran, ☎ 9521 5757. The newest bar on the Chapel St block, Electric Ladyland has found its niche with a luxurious décor and an impressive selection of cocktails. edit
- The Cullen - An Art Series Hotel - A unique and daring boutique hotel inspired by the artwork of Adam Cullen. Opening in November 2009, it is the first Art Series Hotel in Melbourne to open its doors. 164 Commercial Road Prahran 3181 VIC
- Prahran and South Yarra Serviced Apartments - Fully furnished serviced apartments, townhouses and suites providing accommodation in Prahran and South Yarra for business, relocation or holiday. Dozens of apartment locations in the City and surrounding suburbs.
- Nomads Chapel St Backpackers:  22 Chapel St (just north of Dandenong Rd), Windsor, 9533 6855 ([email protected], fax 9533 6866). Jan-Apr dorm beds $20-26, twin $29 pp, double $75.
- Oaks South Yarra, 1A Yarra Street, ☎ +61 7 3246 1610, . checkin: 14:00 hrs; checkout: 10:00 hrs. Located 10 minutes away from Melbourne CBD, this hotel provides comfortable apartment accommodation with modern facilities such as gym access and a BBQ and deck area edit
- Claremont Guesthouse  .
- The Olsen, 637-641 Chapel Street, tel. +61 3 9040 1222, . 239 room boutique luxury hotel. Studio suites with kitchenettes, design and decor is inspired by Australian artist Dr. John Olsen.