Mataró is a city in Catalonia, Spain.
Take a train from Barcelona airport; travelling time is 1 hour. One-way tickets are €2.25, and a T-10 Zone 3 ticket is €17.40 for 10 trips in either direction. All trains leaving the airport pass through Mataró (Note: there are works on the line for the first half of 2006 requiring a change at either Sants or Clot-Arago); they depart half-hourly between 6am and 11pm.
Taxis from the train station to hotels in the center of Mataró are approximately €3.
It's small enough to walk just about anywhere in Mataro. If you're feeling particularly lazy though - the Mataro Bus network has 10 different lines and a very clearly layed out map at every bus stop (EUR 2.00 per journey or you can use a T-10 single zone card).
Some Roman ruins.
Various architectural works by Puig i Cadafalch.
- Hire a boat at the marina.
- Run or swim at the beach.
- Rock climb on the artificial wall in one of Mataró's parks.
The buzzing market at Placa de Cuba (every Saturday morning) is good to pick up fresh fruit and veg - as well as to soak up the atmosphere.
- Pizzeria Lluis, Baixada Escaletes 10, 93 796 29 68. Great food, friendly staff and quite cheap -- pasta dishes for €5-6. They only have menus in Catalan, though, so you may need to ask the staff for advice.
- Nou Mundial, Camí Ral, 548. 93 789 15 97, . This bar and restaurant serves a variety of good food, including pizza (€8-€9), paella (€10-€15), seafood and tapas. They cope surprisingly well with large groups of foreigners with no reservations.
- La botigueta del Malambo Camí Ral 540. 93 798 80 59. Food to take away and products from Argentina. Weekend menu 11.95€.
- Cavall D'Or, Camí Ral, 624, 93 757 87 10. Cheap and tasty Chinese food, such as Sizzling Chicken Plate for €6.45.
- Xanascat the National Network of Youth Hostels for all of Catalonia. Rates from €15 to €24
- NH Ciutat de Mataró , Camí Ral, 648. tel 937 575 522. email [email protected] Room rates from €57 to €125.
- Hotel Castell de Mata , State highway II, Km. 649. tel 937 901 044 or 937 901 045. fax 937 551 117. email [email protected] Room rates €72.
- Alberg Can Soleret , Rda. Països Catalans. tel 937 575 707 or 933 026 162. fax 937 579 015. email [email protected] This youth hostel is some distance from the city center. Beds from €16.