Marbella is one of the Mediterranean's most representative tourist venues and a top favorite for travelers. What was once a small white village of fishermen is now one of the most cosmopolitan beach resorts on the Costa del Sol in Spain.
Malaga Airport (Aeropuerto Pablo Ruiz Picasso) is serviced by most European carriers otherwise fly in to Gibraltar, both airports are around 30 minutes drive from Marbella centre.
The main coast road (N340, now known as the A7) connects the major towns along the whole southern coast and Marbella is approx 30 minutes drive along the N340 from the provincial capital, Malaga. If you are prepared to pay the toll fee (around 5-10 Euros depending upon season) you can take the new AP-7 road which runs parallel to the N340, but with less traffic and higher speed limits means you will reach your destination more quickly.
There are high quality regular bus services along the length of the Costa. Although cheap, the buses can run to their own timetable(!) and are often very busy in summer.
There is a train service between Fuengirola and Malaga, which due to be extended to run further down the coast to Marbella in the near future.
- Hire Car - all the major car hire firms are represented, but the best value will probably come from local firms. Guide prices vary, but you should be able to pick up a small car for around 80-90 Euros for a week in off season.
- Taxis are cheap enough and plentiful, though if travelling any distance, you would be advised to agree the fare in advance. Official rates should be displayed inside any licensed taxi. It is possible to hail a taxi in the street, just look for the green 'libre' notice on the windscreen or the green light on the roof at night.
Taxi Phone Numbers from some Costa del Sol locations:
- Marbella - 952 823 835
- Benalmadena - 952 441 545
- Estepona - 952 802 900
- Fuengirola - 952 471 000
- Mijas - 952 476 593
- San Pedro - 952 774 488
- Torremolinos - 952 382 744
- The Old Town & Orange Square - although a modern town, Marbella is full of history, its origins date back to 1600 BC so it's fair to say there is a little part of history to be found in every corner of the "old town", with its Moorish castle, and famous "Orange Square". The historical old quarter with the Andalucian/Moorish mix can still be found with its flower filled balconies and narrow streets.
- Puerto Banús - is the famous yacht marina, lined with popular bars and restaurants, and a veritable posers' paradise. Plenty of late night bars and the odd celebrity are to be found here, but don't forget your wallet, it's not cheap!
- Golf - If you love golf then Marbella has spectacular golf courses that have been designed by the likes of Seve Ballesteros, Peter Alliss and Clive Clark. There are more than 40 quality courses to be played throughout the Costa del Sol making it a perfect destination for the golf enthusiast. See also: Spain section of main Golf article
- Horseracing - about 15 minutes from the centre of Marbella is the Hipodromo Mijas Costa. The recently built all weather racetrack has meetings throughout the year including floodlit night racing on summer weekends. The course also boasts plenty of entertainment including bars, music and restaurants.
- Ski - Marbella is the perfect base to visit the famous Spanish Ski resort of Sierra Nevada (1.5 hours away by car)
- El Corte Inglés - Ramon Areces 29660 Puerto Banús Tel. 952 90 99 90
- Marina Banús - C/ Ramon Areces, Centro, (opposite El Corte Inglés). Puerto Banús
- New Yorker - Ramon Areces, s/n Centro Comercial Marina Banús 29660 Puerto Banús
- Versace - 29660 Puerto Banús Tel. 952 81 02 96
- Casta & Puro - Avda. de la Ribera Complejo Gran Marbella 29660 Puerto Banús Tel. 677 29 50 57
- Al Dente & Champagne Bar - Urb. Jardines del Puerto, Puerto Banús; tel. 952 90 61 81 - Italian restaurant
- Babilonia Restaurant - Ctra. de Istan - Km.0,8 29600 Marbella; tel. 952 82 88 61 - Italian & international
- Brown's Bar and Bistro - Pino Golf de Don Carlos 18 Elviria, Marbella; tel. 952 838 604 - British cuisine
- El Argentino - Centro comercial elviria; tel. 951 310 087 - charcoal grill
- El Oceano - CN 340 Km 199, Miraflores; tel. 952 587 550 - international
- La Meridiana - 0.1 km N, Cno. la Cruz, S/N, 29600 Marbella; tel. 952 776 190 - international
- Trader Vic's - Urbanización La Alcazaba, Puerto Banús; tel. 952 816 100 - international
- Dreamers - Ctra.N-340, Km.175. Rio Verde 29660 Nueva Andalucia; tel. 952 812 080
- La Notte -0.1 km N - Cno. la Cruz, S/N, 29600 Marbella; tel. 952 777 625
- Nikki Beach - Playa Hotel Don Carlos Carretera de Cadiz 29600 KM. 192 ; tel. 952 836 239
- Ocean Club - Avda. Lola Flores, s/n, Puerto Banús; tel. 952 810 292
- Olivia Valere - upscale restaurant, bar and disco; Ctra. de Istan - Km.0,8 29600 Marbella; tel. 952 82 88 61
- Pension Aduar, Calle Aduar N 7, Marbella, ☎ +34 952 773 578 ([email protected]), . Book on-line the recently renovated Pension Aduar, which is open 24 hours a day all year round. Hostel is situated in the heart of Marbella, on a typical peaceful and charming street of the Old Town, only 100 meters away from Plaza de los Naranjos and just at a short walk distance from the beach, restaurants and the shopping area.
- Alanda Hotel and Spa (*****) Boulevard Principe Alfonso Von Hohenlohe, S/N,Marbella Telephone : 952899600
- Gran Hotel Guadalpin Marbella Spa (*****) Principe Alfonso de Hohenlohe, cn40 Km.179, Tel. 952 243 242
- Marbella Club Hotel (*****) CN340, Km 180,Marbella Telephone : 952822211
- The Townhouse (hostel) C/Alderete 7 Plaza Tetuán, Marbella Telephone : 0034 952 90 17 91 Fax : 0034 952 90 17 91
- The Beach House (hostel)Urb El ChaparralCN. 340 km 203 Marbella Telephone : +34 95 249 45 40 Fax : +34 95 249 45 40
- Gibraltar - visit the historical British Colony, climb the famous rock and see the mischievous Barbary Apes. NB You will need your passport as the Spanish Guardia operate a full border control.