| || |
| || |
Revision as of 19:55, 5 August 2009
Manitoulin Island is large island in northern Lake Huron in the province of Ontario, Canada. It is the largest fresh water island in the world.
There are two ways to get to Manitoulin Island: by car, or by boat. The swing bridge at Little Current, at the northeastern tip of the island, connects Manitoulin to Ontario's highway network. From there, it is a little less than 2 hours by car to Sudbury and almost six hours by car to Toronto.
From mid-May to mid-October, a ferry called the MS Chi-Cheemaun  travels from Tobermory to the village of South Baymouth, at the southeastern tip of the island.
There are lots of cyclists on the Island but there are no trail systems (Trans Canada Trail). Please ensure that safety procedures are taken as you will have to share the road with cars. There are extensive back roads that are quieter and less traveled than the main highway roads.
- The second-largest freshwater beach in Ontario at Providence Bay
- Hiking on the Cup and Saucer Trail and the oddly-named Mounted Animal Trail
- Haweater Weekend (first weekend in August)
Bridal Veil Falls - Kagawong (Waterfall at the top of the hill in Kagawong with pathways leading down the Kagawong river ending at Mudge Bay)
- Brookwood Brae Golf Course, 359 Ketchankookem Trail Mindemoya, ☎ (705) 377-4979, .
- Great Spirit Circle Trail, P.O. Box 469, #15 Hwy 551 M'Chigeeng, ☎ (877) 710-3211, . Learn more about the aboriginal culture though shopping, Pow Wows, tours and more.
- Manitoulin Island Country Club, PO Box 387-25 Golf Course Road Gore Bay, ☎ (705) 282-2282, .
- Manitoulin Tourism Association, 70 Meredith Street East, Little Current, ☎ 705 368-3021, . Provides information on tourism and businesses in the area.
- McLaughlin Real Estate Brokerage, Box 181 Gore Bay, ☎ (705) 282-3196, .
- Manitoulin Chocolate Works, 160 Main Street (Kagawong), ☎ 705-282-0961, . 10-5. The business was born from the inspiration of two sisters with the creative entrepreneurial spirit. It is the only one of its kind and the chocolates created there are naturally just as special. (45°54'5.7599,-82°15'39.6)
- Batman's Cottages Tent & Trailer Park, 11408 Hwy. 6, Box 102 Sheguiandah, ☎ (705) 368-2180, .
- Camp Mary Anne Resort, Box 144 Rockville Road, Mindemoya, ☎ (705) 377-4972.
- Green Acres Tent & Trailer Park, Highway 6 Sheguiandah, ☎ (705) 368-2428, .
- Hide Away Lodge, PO Box 1012 kagawong, ☎ 705-282-8882, .
- Manitoulin Inn, PO Box 163, Hwy 551 Mindemoya, ☎ (705) 377-5500, .
- Manitoulin Resort, 12 Holiday Haven Road, Manitowaning, ☎ (705) 859-3550, .
- Providence Bay Tent & Trailer Park, 5466 Hwy. 551, Box 66 Providence Bay, ☎ 1 (800) 269-2018, .
- Red Lodge Resort, RR#1 Sheguiandah, ☎ (705) 368-3843, .
- Rockgarden Terrace Resort & Spa, 1358 Monument Road Spring Bay, ☎ (705) 377-4652, .
- Santa Maria Trailer Resort, Square Bay Road, Spring Bay, ☎ (705) 377-5870, .