Mangaratiba is a small port in the state of Rio de Janeiro. For tourists, it is mainly a place to catch a ship to Ilha Grande, as well as being the site of one of the most traditional beaches in the state.
Costa Verde have several daily buses from Rio de Janeiro, R$37.50 and about 2.5hours. Note that not all Paraty buses pass through here, so check the latest timetable online on their website or you may find yourself waiting for a while in Rio's bus terminal.
There is a daily ferry from Ilha Grande, departing at 5:30pm, arriving around 6:50pm, R$15.
By car follow the scenic coastal road BR-101.
The beach, popular with locals.
There are plenty of places to eat around the main square.
There are not many options for lodging in Mangaratiba, but you will probably only be sleeping here one night before getting the morning ferry anyway.
- The "Traveller's Hôtel" is just in front of the pier to Ilha Grande. A little bit expensive.
- "Pousada Mendoza" is cheaper, R$25 the night for a single room, R$35 with breakfast at hotel Mendoza (these prices are likely a bit out of date), and clean enough to sleep one night before going to Ilha Grande. The pousada is in the street behind the tourist information kiosk.
- "Hôtel Mendonca", the best hotel of the town (not saying much). Room, single occupancy R$95, double occupancy R$150 (May 2016).
- Pousadinha da Liza Rua Arthur Pires 342 (about 500m before the bus stop and pier along the main road). Fan room R$50 single occupancy, R$70 double occupancy. A/C room R$70 single occupancy, R$100 double occupancy (May 2016). Wifi, TV in rooms, free water/tea/coffee/hot chocolate/biscuits/bananas, microwave to use. Owner speaks English. Ph. 21-964955594, 27891864 or 994315461.
- The ferry to Ilha Grande leaves at 8am daily, and there is a special sailing at 10pm on Fridays. You can easily rent a place to park your car in Mangaratiba while you are on Ilha Grande.
- Costa Verde have buses to Rio, 4 per day as of May 2016. Check their website for the latest prices.
- There are local buses south to Conceicao Jacerai and Angra dos Reis.
|Routes through Mangaratiba