Manchester/SouthManchester : South
South Manchester covers the south of Manchester as far south as the M60. It lies within The Historic County Boundaries of Lancashire. It contains amongst others, the following neighbourhoods:
- Didsbury Historically, this was the home of many of the wealth merchants who traded in the city and is an area with strong Jewish links. It was further developed as railways grew with much more housing built in the 1930s. It is one of the most up-market and expensive residential districts within Manchester. here you will find a mixed academic cosmopolitan community with a smattering of media stars. It offers a wide selection of bars, cafes and restaurants and looks and feels more like an English village than a suburban district.
- Hulme: is at the heart of Manchester's counterculture, the area had suffered badly from inept town planning throughout the 1970s until early 1990s. Regeneration of old housing has improved the appearance of the district.It is one of the birth places of the European dance scene and home to a vibrant multi-cultural population of artists, punks, anarchists, environmental activists and party people.
- Moss Side: Just to the west of Rusholme, is home to a large African and West Indian community a lively an yet tough area is worth a visit for its Caribbean cuisine and pubs.
- Old Trafford: Notable for two large sporting venues: Old Trafford Cricket Ground, the home of Lancashire County Cricket Club, and Old Trafford Football Ground that belongs to Manchester United Football Club. It is also within walking distance of the glamorous Salford Quays redevelopment.
- Whalley Range: Referred to as "Leafy Whalley Range" is one of Manchester's first and finest suburbs started in the early 1830s, built by local banker and businessman Samuel Brooks as "a desirable estate for gentlemen and their families". Here you will find Grand Victorian houses within beautiful tree-lined streets that border Alexandra Park.
- Chorlton-Cum-Hardy: Known as Chorlton is one of the hippest suburbs of Manchester and residential area of choice for the city's arts, theatre, and music crowd. It offers a wide range of continental-style cafe bars and eateries with trendy shopping around Beech Road and Chorlton Green.
- Withington: Is a diverse district housing a mixture of "professionals" and "students" and close to the University of Manchester and the Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Rusholme: A multi-cultural community, home to the largest concentration of South Asian restaurants in Manchester known as the "Curry Mile" (along Wilmslow Road). Here you find cuisine from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, North Africa and the Middle East.
- Levenshulme: Underpinned by community and innovative eateries, this suburb is now best know for its independent Saturday market - Levy Market
Manchester International Airport, known locally as Ringway, is located to the South of Greater Manchester and offers Domestic, European and Intercontinental flights. Direct trains serve Salford Crescent from the Airport's railway station. However, to reach most parts of the city, the best option would be to take a train to Manchester city centre and take a tram from Piccadilly, a train from Piccadilly or Victoria to the relevant suburban stop, or a bus.
Liverpool John Lennon Airport is located approximately 30 miles to the West of Manchester and can be reached by car, via the M62, or by coach, which stops at Manchester Chorlton Street and Eccles without the need for pre-booking. Liverpool Airport is served primarily by budget carriers.
Barton Aerodrome, between Eccles and Worsley, is now called City Airport. It contains the South Lancashire Aeroclub, which offer pleasure flights.
Levenshulme Rail Station serves Levenshulme and nearby Fallowfield
Around Old Trafford the use of public transport is highly recommended for visitors, as the roads can take 3 hours to clear after big events such as a football match! Local travellers can take the Manchester Metrolink, getting off at Old Trafford station. This is located right next to the cricket ground, whilst the football ground is a 10-minute walk up the road. There are services every 6-12 minutes.
For football fan travellers a preferable and quicker option is rail: a dedicated station is right behind the football stadium's South stand, open only on matchdays: it is called Manchester United FC Halt station. Trains are provided by Northern Rail and there are about 5 or so services before and after the match to the mainline Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road stations. Tickets cost about £2.40 and the journey takes 10 minutes.
The 192 bus serves Levenshulme, a single costs around £2.30. The magic bus serves Withington and Fallowfield costing around £1 for a single journey.
Both the Old Trafford football and cricket grounds are very impressive buildings with a few sights, such as the Matt Busby statue, worth a look.
- Watch sport at Old Trafford, see either Manchester United Football Club, one of the most famous and successful football clubs in the world or Lancashire Country Cricket Club.
- Manchester United Football Club, (A dedicated station is right behind the football stadium's South stand: it is called Manchester United FC Halt station. Trains are provided by Northern Rail and there are about five or so services before and after the match to the mainline Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road stations.), . Open only on match days. Generally, a very high quality of football. Tickets for matches against lesser opposition are quite easy to come by (the stadium holds around 75,000 people) and can be purchased from the club's official website or the Ticketing & Memebrship Office. League matches with the top clubs, Arsenal or Chelsea, and local rivals Manchester City and Liverpool, as well as competitive matches against any of the big European teams (Barcelona, Inter Milan etc.), will only very rarely be available on general sale. edit
- Lancashire Country Cricket Club, (Take the Manchester Metrolink, getting off at Old Trafford station. This is located right next to the cricket ground. There are services every 6-12 minutes.), . edit
- Indoor skydiving at Manchester Ifly. Situated in the heart of Trafford City, you can soar like a bird in the first 14ft (4.3m) diameter iFLY wind tunnel to be built in the UK. With wheelchair access and highly trained instructors, we welcome flyers of all abilities.
- The Trafford Centre is a large indoor shopping and entertainment centre. Activities include LegoLand Discovery Centre Manchester.
- <do name="LegoLand Discovery Centre Manchester" alt="" address="" directions="Take the Manchester Metrolink tram to Stretford, where you can catch the Metrolink Shuttle Bus direct to The Trafford Centre." phone="0871 222 2662" email="" fax="" url="http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/en/index.htm" hours="" prices
- Visit Levenshulme Market every Saturday (March-Dec) with a host of different independent traders selling food, art and local craft beer. The market is held on the Levenshulme rail station car park.
The Manchester United Megastore is located in the East stand of the football stadium, from where many kinds of Man Utd merchandise can be bought. Likewise, the cricket ground also contains a small shop for cricket merchandise.
At the football stadium, refreshments are available at half time: crisps, KitKat chunkies, pies, Pepsi, tea and coffee. A meal deal, with tea/coffee, pack of crisps and KitKat, costs £2.80 approx. The culinary delights of Rusholme's curry mile are no more than 30 mins away.
- Levenshulme hosts Levenshulme Market every Saturday (March-Dec) with a host of different independent traders selling food, art and local craft beer. The market is held on the Levenshulme rail station car park.
- <eat name="Sultan Restaurant" alt="" address="513 Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester, M20 4BA. " directions="" lat="" long="" phone="" tollfree="" email="" fax="" url="http://www.sultan-restaurant.co.uk" hours="" price="">is a hidden local gem of superb mediterranean and middle eastern cuisine. Run by the former chef of the very succesfull restaurant Aladdin, it offers generous portions at low prices with many vegetarian options. They do not sell alcohol, but you are welcome to bring your own bottle; there is no corking fee.</eat>
Alcohol is not permitted in either the Old Trafford football or cricket grounds, and will be confiscated by stewards. There are, however, numerous bars and cafes in the district for pre- or post-match drinks.
- Trafford Hall Hotel, 23 Talbot Road, Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0PE (http://www.venturehotels.co.uk/Trafford-Hall-Hotel/budget-hotels-manchester.aspx), ☎ +44 161 848 7791, . This hotel is located near old trafford football ground and has great transport access to Salford and the city centre. £50 for a hotel room. edit
- Radisson Blu Manchester Airport, Chicago Avenue Manchester M90 3RA, ☎ +44 161 490 5000, . The Radisson Blu Hotel Manchester Airport is the only hotel directly connected to the Manchester Airport terminals. There is easy access to popular city attractions, including the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester United Football Club and Manchester Evening News Arena. edit
- Airport Inn Manchester, Altrincham Road, Wilmslow, SK9 4LR, ☎ +44 871 221 0247, . The Airport Inn Manchester is ideally located at the runway, less than 10 minutes from the Manchester Airport terminal. The hotel is in a great location for exploring Manchester. edit
- Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport (Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport), Manchester Airport, Outwood Ln, Manchester M90 4HL, UK (The 4 star Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport is within easy walking distance of Manchester Airport and less than 15km from Manchester City Centre), ☎ +44 161 498 0333, . checkin: 24 Hours; checkout: 24 Hours. Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport is the hotel of choice for guests wanting to be as close as possible to Manchester Airport. Ideal both for proximity to the airport terminals and easy access to the airport’s excellent rail services. The 4-star hotel is perfectly situated for maximum convenience opposite Terminals 1 and 3, and is serviced by a 24-hour complimentary shuttle bus. edit