Manado (also Menado) is the largest city in and main gateway to Northern Sulawesi, Indonesia.
The capital of the province, the former stronghold of the Dutch and the cultural center of the Minahasa people, for a long time Manado prospered through trade with the nearby Philippines and the spice trade with the rest of the world. Alas, the bombings of World War II and the suppression of a local insurgency in the 1950s flattened most of Manado's older buildings. While by Indonesian standards still relatively prosperous, most visitors will be rather less impressed and head straight to the islands and reefs of nearby Bunaken. Unlike much of the rest of predominantly-Muslim Indonesia, Christianity is the dominant religion in Manado.
Mostly sunny throughout the year, the wet season usually starts from September until March/ April. During its hottest days, it can reach up to 32C. In the highlands of Tomohon, Tondano, Kawangkoan it is cooler but sunny nonetheless.
Manado is quite far from the rest of Indonesia and most visitors arrive by plane.
Manado's Sam Ratulangi Airport (IATA: MDC) An airy, modern facility last expanded in 2001. The airport fields some international flights to Singapore (Silk Air, 4x weekly, 3h) with visa on arrival possible, but Air Asia no longer operates.
If you want to make a call in the airport, please have your cell phone ready, don't count on the public phone.
There are also frequent flights to Singapore (Silk Air), Jakarta (Garuda, Lion Air 3,5h, 1,100,000+Rp) and Makassar (1.5h). Other flights include Surabaya (East Java), Balikpapan (Kalimantan), Denpasar (Bali), Ternate (North Maluku), and Sorong (Papua). A taxi from the airport to central Manado takes about 30 minutes and costs Rp 70,000 (bargaining may be necessary). There are also frequent mikrolets leaving from Terminal Paal 2 [paal doo-ah] costing 4,000 Rp that take about the same amount of time.
Departure tax from Manado is Rp 100.000 for international flights and Rp 30,000 for domestic flights. The terminal has an Internet cafe in the public area and the standard array of restaurants (KFC, Es Teler 77) and gift shops inside, but note that there is nothing once past immigration.
The main ways of getting around are ojek/ompreng, moped taxis that can be a bit scary, or with Mikrolets (mikros), the blue mini buses that you jump on just standing by the street. They all have a certain route and within a day one should figure out how it works.
There are several taxi operator here : Bluebird, Taxi Kokapura, Trust, Celebrity. The most reliable one is Bluebird, the blue taxi. It is the most trusted taxi operator in Jakarta and other cities in Indonesia. The Manado office phone number is (0431) 861234. If you're new to the town, use this taxi. Wybisana.
Even is meter taxi, you must beware as they will tend to making extra mile near the area that you intend to go, and making you paying extra according to meter. This is especially for taxi from hotel to airport, you may want to get a taxi from hotel by negotiating the price upfront.
Not very convenient to get taxi in the city from the street. Can only get from major malls. Even big hotels don't have taxi rank. You'll need to pay parking fee if taxi has been waiting inside parking area. Not a very good option for transport unless you are patient.
By Angkot (Angkutan Kota)
Also known as mikrolets or bemos. Angkot is the typical Indonesia's cheapest way of transportation inside the city. Most of cities in Indonesia have this Angkot, as well as Manado. Angkot is a minibus of 8-10 passengers. The cost is very cheap, currently at Rp. 2,900 per trip.
Compared to angkots in other cities in Indonesia that have side-facing seats, the ones in Manado come with all front-facing seats. Manadonese are known for being picky and would only take the good-looking and full music angkots.
By rental car
Manado Rental Car around Rp. 500,000 per day, already included Driver and Gasoline, or Self Drive aproximately Rp.300,000.- per day.
For Central Information tel +62-852-4022-0620 or +62-431-892-979.
CV. Sinar Berkat Rent a Car Manado, has been operating since 1995 has various types of automobile. For administration you just need to give a copy of your current driving license or ID card. Reservation can be made through email at [email protected] or mobile at +62 812 440 41000 or +62 431 331 8517 with Mrs. Like. Office +62 431 869 625.
The rental charges is based on type of vehicles, itinerary and additional services if any. We suggest you to call and fixed the schedule, rate and other services needed in advance for your convenience. Call and make your booking, we will be very happy to have you as our customer.
CV. Griya djaya, +62 852 4063 2189 or +62 431 840 496 (Mr. Ito) provides self drive car at 350.000/day
car is icluded driver ,gasolin and tour english speaking tour guide rp 800 000 per day
contact [email protected]
mobile phone +6281340310671
(price as of Mar 2016). Fast, good service and nice car. Not so easy to find an agency with self-drive cars, but recommended if you have experience driving in Asia. Taxi service is limited.
Ojek is motorcab taxi, pronounced O - jack. Ojek is also a typical cheap land transportation in Indonesian cities. In Manado, ojek rate is not fixed, depending on the distance and negotiation. For a very short distance (+/- 1 km.), it will be around Rp. 3,000.
- Ban Hin Kiong is the oldest Chinese temple built in Manado during the Qing Dynasty era in China (1644-1911). It is a house of worship for the Tridharma followers from Manado and the region.This Temple is located at D.I. Panjaitan Street in Manado, which is the center of the city’s China Town. There are some shrines and temples, homes and interesting shops run by Chinese. The temple is easily reached by public transport, by mikrolet or taxis. Visitors can also rent a car or motorcycle to tour China Town.
- Bukit Kasih . 45 km south of Manado. 5 km from Kawangkoan. One of popular tourist destinations in North Sulawesi. Go to the top of the Hill by climbing 2435 stairs to see an amazing view of nature. There are many natural hot springs around this area. Get your feet relax. Nearby, you can visit Watu Pinabetengan, an animism site
- Modoinding. Agrotourism place, where all kind of vegetables and spicy came from, to supply the demands of East part of Indonesia, the area is about 900-1200 meter from the sea level. The place is cool and you will find Modoinding valley with Moat Lake with "Bukit Doa" on the east, very beautiful place. There is also Ambang National Park where you can see Golden Owl as favorite for Bird Watching activity. About 180 km from Manado. You also able to stay in the community house, Traditional Minahasan wooden house with IDR 200.000, approx 20USD a night for the small house with western toilet and shower.
Manado is famous throughout the region for its diving areas. Bunaken is one of the finest and maybe the most well-kept national marine park in Indonesia.
- Tangkoko Nature Reserve, ☎ 0431 853265, . Home of tarsiers and macaques. The tarsiers can be viewed in the late afternoons when they are most active, from about 4-6pm. A guide must be hired at the park entrance and costs Rp85,000 per person. Included is the park entrance fee of Rp15,000. The national park is about 50km from Manado and is accessible by taking a bemo toward Bitung (Rp 10,000) and transferring to an open aired bemo along the way (ask the driver to drop you off at the transfer at the junction town along the way), also Rp10,000. $105. edit
- Manembo-nembo Nature Reserve, (Via Tomohon or Manado), ☎ +62-853-42468866, . Manembo-nembo, a nature reserve just 30 km from Manado. This 6.500 ha large wildlife reserve was founded in 1978 to protect the animals and for its watershed value. Manembo-nembo is a word in the local Tontemboan language and means "view from above". One of the last primary rain forests in Sulawesi around Mount Tanuwantik (665 m), a lot of clear rivers and steep terrain. Home for many endemic animals like the crested black macaque, tarsier, kuskus, sulawesi woodpecker, knobbed hornbill, lilac-cheeked kingfisher, ruddy kingfisher, sulawesi hanging-parrot. No tour operators or travel agencies offer trips to this reserve. Two years ago a couple from Australia were the last visitors but they did not enter the jungle area. edit
- Mt. Lokon (Lokon Volcano), ☎ 0431 853265 ([email protected]), . Lokon-Empung is a twin volcano lying on the rim of the Tondano Caldera. These volcanoes with its Tompaluan crater (1.100 m) are among the most active volcanoes of Sulawesi. Follow an old lava flow to the rim of Tompaluan crater. It takes about one hour. Have a look inside the crater and enjoy the view until the islands of Bunaken Marine Nationalpark. edit
- Mt. Empung (Mountain of the God), ☎ +62-431-3158666 ([email protected]), . The crater of the 1,340 m high stratovolcano has a diameter of approximately 400 and is 150 meters deep. Its last eruption was in the year 1775. The crater floor is covered with dense jungle vegetation. Carnivorous pitcher plants proliferate on its flanks. From there you have a beautiful view to the Celebes and the Moluccas sea, even to the Tondano Lake. edit
- Tekaan Telu Waterfalls (Tinoor Waterfalls), ☎ +62-431-3158666 ([email protected]), . One of the most beautiful and rarely visited waterfall. Follow a small path until the river. From there trek through the river to reach these unforgettable place with four waterfalls surrounded by forest. The way can be slippery after rainfall. You have to wear trekking sandals. edit
- Diving round Bunaken Island In Bunaken National Marine Park, Bunaken Beach Resort ,Address :Pangalisang Beach Bunaken, ☎ +62 813 40037657 ([email protected]), . edit
- Mt Mahawu Volcano Trek, Tomohon, ☎ 0431 853265, . This is soft adventure at its best. Arriving at the base of Mount Mahawu you begin the 1-hour trek to the crater's edge. From that vantage point we can see Bunaken & Manado Tua Islands, as well as the bay of Manado. At the bottom of the crater, one can observe a steaming lake and experience the smell of sulfur from the pools. After this magnificent hike stop for lunch at a shore-side restaurant on Lake Tondano. edit
- White Water Rafting (Nimanga River), (Timbukar), ☎ 0431 853265 ([email protected]), . Surrounded by dense forests and adjoining villages Nimanga river is famous for its outstanding whitewater levels ranging from WW grade III (difficult) to WW grade V (extremely difficult). The rafting distance is about 9 kilometers long and has to cope with a short break in about two hours. Every trip starts with a safety briefing before you will start an ultimate whitewater rafting with defeating high waves, boat flips, steep descents, rolling waves, obstacles... Experienced rafting guides master the difficult passages together with you in a strong team. If you are lucky, you can observe monitor lizards on rocks, kingfishers, which cross the river or monkeys which are searching for food. edit
- Snorkeling Trip Bunaken National Park, Bunaken National Marine Park, ☎ 0431 853265, . 8. The Bunaken National Marine Park was formally established in 1991 and is among the first of Indonesia's growing system of marine parks. The park covers a total surface area of 89,065 hectares, 97% of which is overlain by sparkling clear, warm tropical water. The remaining 3% of the park is terrestrial, including the five islands of Bunaken, Manado Tua, Mantehage, Nain and Siladen. edit
- PT. Sentralindo Valutama (Authorized Money Changer), Jl. Sarapung No. 4, Manado 95122 (Depan Gereja Sentrum Manado), ☎ +62 431 - 878855. No Fee. edit
- Manado Inter Money Changer, located in front of Bahu Mall, next to Bank Tabungan Negara (BTN), Jl. W. Monginsidi No:62 Bahu Link: III Manado, Ph: +62-431-866676 & +62-431-866677.
A yummy-looking bowl of tinutuan
(it doesn't taste that bad, honest)
Manadonese food is famous throughout Indonesia for two things: the Minahasa eat absolutely anything, and the flavor of choice is very, very spicy. Sugar is used little if at all, with flavor added through lemon and herbs. Being Christian, the Minahasa also often marinate meat in alcohol and favor pork. More exotic protein options include cats, forest rats, fruit bats, and dogs, the last of which is the obligatory centerpiece of any wedding ceremony or Christmas feast. Classic dishes include:
- ikan mas bakar rica, grilled spicy fish cooked in traditional style, using a piece of coconut shell as a way of cooking. Grilled together with chilli, that poured in the fish while cooking.
- ikan mas goreng, fish fried till the soft bone is crunchy.
- ayam rica-rica, grilled chicken topped with a fiery red chili-and-onion paste
- ikan mas woku balanga, fish simmered in herbs
- babi tore, fried pork until crunch with a lot of chilli
- Ragey, Big slices grilled chop pork with spicy Manadones deli
- perkedel milu, corn fritters
- tinutuan (or bubur manado), a goopy porridge of rice, pumpkin, noodles and random vegetables — doesn't look very attractive, but it can be tasty (and, for once, not spicy)
- Extreme Culinary, Snake, Rat, Dog (r.w. pronounced "air weh"), Bat / flying fox (baniki), Forest Pig, etc., Ask Manadonese people to bring you to Kawangkoan - Langowan. And Tomohon also.
Dutch settlement here has also brought in a few surprising influences, notably:
- brenebon (bruine bonesoep), a rich red kidney bean soup
- klappertaart, a Western-style coconut cake
- Fresh grilled fish is served every morning in a small warung near the harbour dock to Bunaken. The place is very basic, but don't mind the look. Just ask around for warung ikan bakar and hope someone helps you.
- Rit's Cafe, Steak and Grill a warung among others behind (slightly southwest) of the Mega Mall on Jalan Boulevard II. Lovely owners (Tony and Rita) and delicious food. Ask Tony to try his chocolate rum pudding.
- Raja Oci, Jl. Sudirman No.85, Ph: +62-431-863946. Seafood Restaurant with "Oci" as speciality fish.
- Bambuden Seafood Restaurant @Sario, Jl. Pemuda No:2 Sario Manado, Ph: +62-431-852459 / 864096 / 9197772. Well-known locally for grilled & fried fish, and also offers a variety of seafood dishes.
- Kawan Baru Restaurant and Cafe, Mega Mas Boulevard, tel. +62-431-879490 +62-431-879491, . Indonesian food.
- Raja Sate BBQ & Asian Resto, Jalan Boulevard (near Mega Mall), tel. +62-431-3327380 or +62-431-846679, . Asian cuisine, with an emphasis on satays and barbequed seafood.
- Warong Rica Rica, tel. +62-431-879490. A seafood restaurant located at Bahu Mall Bay street Cafe. Local seafood with panoramic sea views.
- Pizza Hut, tel. +62-431-842732, Mega Mall, The usual pizza from a well known chain
- Kafe Excelso, . Conveniently located in Mega Mall. Best place for coffee and light snacks. Good wifi, large coffee selection.
- Rumah Mie Bintang Wayang, Jln. S Parman 43, near Ban Hin Kiong Temple. Tel. +62-431-852468. Best place for big bowl pork soup noodle, pork bun, and manadonese pork fried rice
These two kind of drinks are made from Palm trees:
Please Drink Responsibly, the locals have a bad habit of drinking IRRESPONSIBLY.
Probably, the ONLY major crime problem in town is caused by drunkards.
- Rumah Kopi Gembira . Phone +62-431-371137. Located in Kawangkoan ( 40 km from Manado ). The most popular coffee house in North Sulawesi since 1946. Taste a cup of its specialty black coffee. Taste also its most famous pork or green bean buns ( local : Biapong ) or an old-fashioned toast. A must visit on the way to Bukit Kasih ( Hill of Love )
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under 180,000 Rp
|| 190,000-350,000 Rp
|| Over 350,000 Rp
Manado is Sulawesi's other bustling centre of business and tourism. And with demand to match, the prices here are higher than elsewhere in Sulawesi. However, if you are willing to pay up, luxury options that you haven't seen since Makassar are available here.
- Hotel Ahlan, Jl. Sudirman. Stuffy, unappealing, dillapidated. Double room w/out air-con and with stuffy shared bathroom. Price of August 2015. 100,000 Rp. edit
- Metropolitan Inn, Jln. Arie Lasut No. 69, ☎ +62-0431-845-433. Located on the quiet side of the river, this popular place has good-value single rooms at 120,000 Rp (outside bathroom) and doubles 180,000 Rp (inside bathroom), both include breakfast. Wi-Fi is available in the lobby, 10,000 Rp one-time fee for the duration of your stay. 120,000-180,000 Rp. edit
- Rex Hotel, Jl. Sugiono. Very basic room, Wi-Fi from next door Regina Hotel can be used. Staff can help you arranging transport to Gorontalo or Pulau Bunaken. As of August 2015, double room with shared bathroom is 110,000 Rp. edit
- Losmen Inn, at the end of Jl. Sam Ratulangi. In Pasar 45, next to the harbour 130,000 Rp single. edit
- Sinar Berkat Stay, ☎ +62 817 012 1270 ([email protected]). Located in the downtown and suitable for budget or backpacker travellers that need to lay back and enjoy the city. 3 nice location in Titiwungen and Wenang, Jl. Sam Ratulangi very near to Mega Mas Area and Sario, Jl. Ahmad Yani very near to Manado Town Square Area. Rooms with bed, air-con and bathroom. 15-20 US$. edit
- Sky Inn, Jl. 17 agustus. Clean room, sweet bathroom, accessible and convenient location. contact us at [email protected] +628811069944 17-20 $. edit
- Hotel Central, Jl. Sam Ratulangi No. 33, ☎ +62-431-851234. Opened in 2004, the sheen of newness is fading fast, but the rooms are clean and functional with air-con and hot water. 195,000-215,000 Rp. edit
- Hotel Regina. Big rooms with AC, tv and bathrooms with hot water. The best option on this street of Lonely planet recommended cheapies. As of August 2015, double room is 220,000 Rp. edit
- Hotel Wisata, Jl. Sam Ratulangi No. 7, ☎ +62-0431-860908. Another popular business hotel. All rooms have AC, hot shower and TV, the difference in room quality is really a matter of the size of the room, the date of the furniture and the size of the bed. 215,000-315,000 Rp. edit
- Hotel Minahasa, Jl. Sam Ratulangi, . A nice family-run place on Sam Ratulangi. They are used to tourists, as well as being the main place that academics in the area stay in, so you are apt to meet some one who could really fill you in on the local scene. The drawback is the monotonous breakfasts. edit
- Quint Hotel, Jl. Wakeke no 12-14 (central of town), ☎ '''+62 431 855551/853022''', . All rooms have AC, hot shower, cable TV, and high quality spring beds. Breakfast are inclusive. start from 225,000 Rp. (1.4858,124.8388) edit
- Villa Wantik, Jl. Raya Manado - Tanawangko km. 21., ([email protected]), . Homestay with nice views. edit
- MC Bunaken, Bunaken Island, ☎ +6285255984558 ([email protected]), . Beach front bungalow and full board meals. 200,000 Rp. edit
- Mokupa Resort, Jl. Trans Sulawesi , desa Mokupa, ☎ 62-431-838403,+628124493784 ([email protected]). Garden cottage, wooden house , with swimming pool, beach view, 30 minutes from manado City, free airport pickup. 20$-55$. edit
- Aston Manado City Hotel (Aston Manado), Jl. Jend Sudirman No. 128, Manado (City Center), ☎ +62-431-8888989, . Enjoy a beautiful hotel in the very heart of Manado that combines exceptional service and attention to detail to ensure a most memorable stay. The delightful Aston Manado City Hotel offers over 100 rooms and suite with dramatic views of the city skyline. Experience the best restaurants, entertainment, and shopping, as well as the city’s fines attraction, all within easy walking of the hotel. (1° 29' 25.56 N,124° 50' 28.89 E) edit
- Hotel Gran Central Manado (Gran Central), Jl.Sudirman No. 45, Manado (Located at the center of the city), ☎ +62 (431) 878888, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. edit
- Sintesa Peninsula Hotel, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, Gunung Wenang Manado SULUT 95123 Indonesia, ☎ (62-431) 855008. Located in the very heart of the city of Manado,just 30 minutes from Sam Ratulangi International Airport. Featuring 150 spacious and modern superior rooms, studios, corner suites, deluxe suites, sintesa suites and a presidential suite, the luxurious standards of accommodation will rival those of any major city in South East Asia and combined with extensive Conference, Seminar and Banqueting facilities. edit
- Hotel Aryaduta Manado (former Ritzy Hotel), Jln. Piere Tendean Bulevar, ☎ 62-431 8555554, . Offer rooms equipped with air-conditioning, TV with cable channels, coffee/tea maker, and Internet access. Some of its facilities and services include the Cakrawala Coffee Shop, a swimming pool, the lobby lounge, massage and room services. Rate starts at USD114.95. edit
- Grand Puri, Jl. Sam Ratulangi No. 458, ☎ +62-431-822-888 ([email protected]), . Shabby, tired and out of the way. edit
- Quality Hotel, Jl. Piere Tendean No. 88 - 89, ☎ +62-0431-888-3888 ([email protected]), . A short walk from the Mega Mall with restaurant and bar services, wonderful staff and rooms. Starting at 40$ per night. edit
- Mapia Resort & Spa, . Located on Kalasey beach, 30 minutes from the airport. Boutique Resort in a beautiful tropical garden resort with Indonesian/Italian cuisine. Diving operated by Celebes Divers as on the sister location Onong Resort on Siladen Island. Both resorts have 24/7 electrical power and all cottages are air-conditioned. edit
- Tasik Ria Resort & Spa Manado, Jl. Raya Trans Sulawesi (30 minutes drive south of Manado), ☎ +62-431-823444, . Boutique resort with 50 rooms in a peaceful and scenic palm fringed backdrop, ideal for divers & non-divers, families and adventure seekers. 110-250 US$. edit
- Murex Dive Resorts, Jl. Raya Trans Sulawesi (just south of Manado), ☎ +62-431-838774, . Family-run hotel and dive resort on the beach, 5 km south of the city. Easy access to N. Sulawesi land tours, Bunaken and Manado Bay dive sites. English, German, Dutch and Indonesian spoken. Enjoy ocean views, Manado Tua volcano and Bunaken Island. Located in a tropical garden all guest rooms include, en-suite bathroom with hot water, A/C, king-size or twin beds, verandah and complimentary tea and coffee. All meals included. 70 US$ per person per night. edit
Philippine Consulate General
Address: Jl. 17 Agustus No. 30A
Tanjung Batu, Manado 95119
Tel. +62-431-862-181 or +62-431-861-178
email: [email protected]
Telco : Cell, Net
There are 3 main providers of GSM cellular services in Manado : Telkomsel, Indosat / Satelindo and XL (Axiata co). As per November 2010, Telkomsel provides EDGE, 3G WCDMA, 3.5G HSDPA. Indosat only GPRS,EDGE. XL up to 3G. Please note that high bandwidth cell service mainly works in downtown area of Manado. All 3 of them carries Blackberry services.
Prepaid GSM SIM cards dan CDMA RUIM cards can be cheaply purchased (approx 1 USD) at almost every supermarket along with their reload vouchers, ranging from approx 50C US (Rp 5000) to approx 10USD (Rp 100K).
If you want to go online cheaply then go to Ocean internet cafe, at the 3rd floor of Samudera minimarket located in the Megamas shopping center area on the Manado boulevard. The rate is approx 50C US (Rp 5000) hourly and the bandwidth speed is good. It is open from 1000 to 2200.
- Island Bunaken a diver's paradise. Many small bungalows are available in this small but beautiful island. The local ferry to Pulau Bunaken leaves at 14-15:00 daily but Sundays from Pasar Jengki, and costs 50,000 Rp per person. The standar fare for lodgin in Bunaken is 150,000 Rp per person, 3 meals included.
- Tagulandang Island (Sitaro). An unexplored island 3 hours North by ferry from Manado. Ferries depart daily at 9:30 (except Fridays at 10:000, and Sundays at 11:00) from Manado Sagnier Terminal. The cost of the ticket is 175.000 Rp. The island has nice landscapes, a volcano, good snorkeling and secluded white sand beaches.
- Tangkoko National Park Home of The Big-eyed Tarsius Monkey (The Smallest Monkey In The World).
- Tomohon, a small city, surrounded by 3 active volcanoes: Mount Lokon, Mount Mahawu and Mount Masarang. Located around 25 minutes from Manado, Tomohon is a very nice place to stay for its cold climate (around 20 degree celcius).
- Kawangkoan,a small town, around 40 km from Manado. Around 20 km from Tomohon. See Bukit Kasih ( Hill of Love ), one of tourist destinations. There are many natural hot springs. Go to the top of the Hill by climbing 2435 stairs. Kawangkoan is famous of its Sands-Frying Peanut and Bun ( local term : Biapong ). Also visit Batu Pinabetengan, an animism site not far from Bukit Kasih
- Pulau Sangihe (Sangir). The ferry to the main city, Tahuna, leaves daily from Manado harbour, next to Pasar 45, at 19:00 and costs 155,000 Rp. Currently (August 2015) there are no diving centers in Sangihe.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!