| || |
In Makarska there is
no single large taxi company, but many small operators provide a service with one or two cars. The taxi usually comes within 10 to 15 min from the call. |+|
In Makarska there is , but many small with one or two cars. The taxi usually comes within 10 to 15 min from the call.
| || |
Revision as of 04:03, 28 August 2011
Makarska is the main beach resort town along the Makarska Riviera in Croatia, south of Split. Behind the city the impressive Biokovo mountain range rises up to 1,700 m (5,575 ft) within a few kilometres from the sea.
Makarska is on the picturesque Croatian coast. It is recommended to visit from April until October. For younger people July and August. If you want take a rest with no crowd on the beach then September is a good time. Makarska is a good place to stay rather than visiting on a day trip.
- Regular regional bus service connects Makarska to Split, Dubrovnik, and other cities in the broader region.
- In the season (June-July-August) there is a direct night connection to Banja Luka and Gradiska in the north of Bosnia.
- There is a ferry  to Sumartin on Brac-island, travelling time is around 30 min.
In Makarska there is not unique Taxi service, but many small companies with one or two cars. The taxi usually comes within 10 to 15 min from the call.
- Taxi Doktor, Ante Starcevica b.b. (city center near bus station), ☎ +385923047326 ([email protected]), . 0-24. Taxi Doktor is reliable and has fair pricess. Their drivers, experience travellers, will also provide you with all the information nessery for your stay in Makarska and region. Service cab be also booked over email or web page.
You can take a scenic walk around the peninsula, the marina, and the main square. The peninsula area in particular is scenic, relaxing, and some parts are not too crowded. Be warned that nude sunbathers like to relax on the southern side of the peninsula.
Rafting and kayaking
About a half-hour drive from Makarska, you can go rafting or kayaking along the Cetina River. The river is generally calm, although there are a few fast places, and one section is particularly dangerous. There is a tour agency that offers guided trips down the river. If you decide to go, look for the cave that was used by Marshal Tito's Partisans to hide from the Nazis during World War II.
The mountains directly behind the city have decent hiking trails. The area is scenic and not too crowded, and you can get a good view of Makarska if you hike high enough. Be sure to stay on the trails and be aware that there is one species of poisonous snake that lives in the area.
- Nature Park Biokovo Biokovo, url="http//:www.biokovo.com" the mountain that rises right out of the sea, behind Makarska,with its peaks and lookout points that afford unforgettable panoramic views onto the Makarska Riviera and the area around Biokovo. Biokovo is unique not only for its position, but also for its geomorphology and its biological diversity, which are the main reasons for Mt Biokovo having been proclaimed a nature park in 1981. You can walk on foot into the mountains behind Makarska, however if you want to reach the best mountainous areas you will need to drive to the official park itself. There are excellent hiking opportunities in the park, although sometimes the fog makes it difficult to have a good view of the surroundings.
- Kotišina Botanical Garden, a part of the Nature park Biokovo that covering an area of 16.5 ha over the village of Kotišina. According to the intentions of its founder, Fra Jure Radić, the Biokovo vegetation, preserved in its original state, enables visitors to get to know the unique wild plant life of the area.
At the southern end of the beach (near the peninsula), there is an outdoor market area. There you can buy souvenirs, beach gear, and food. In this area are other simple but fun attractions such as trampolines to jump on.
There are many restaurants along the beach and in the main square area.
- Roma, Corner of Meštroviča and Molizanskih Hrvata, ☎ +385 21 690900. Good if you're tired of the atmosphere along the beach and in the main square. Relaxed but still classy enough for a decent dinner or a date.
- Veza, ☎ +385 989895758. Traditional Croatian peka, phone orders.
There are bars and cafes along the main strip of the beach. Most of the best dance clubs are concentrated around the marina.
During the high tourist season (July to September), the Grotta and the Deep are two popular dance bars that have been built into a natural cave along the sea.
- Grotta. Closed during the off-season. Bar and dance club in a sea-side grotto.
- Deep. Closed during the off-season. Bar and dance club in a sea-side grotto.
- Hostel Makarska, Prvosvibanjska 15 (city center), ☎ +385 95 9077176, . checkin: noon; checkout: 10AM. First backpackers' hostel in Makarska. It is in a safe, clean and quiet neighborhood. Nice and peaceful, with friendly atmosphere. It is run by a traveller who can give you all info you need about Croatia. 100kn.
- Apartments Gabric, Živogošće – Blato 34 HR-21 329 Igrane Hrvatska, ☎ +385 98 257 853, +385 21 628 741 ([email protected]), . Two 60-65 m² apartments, A/C, 2 dble bedrooms (dble beds), 4+2, living room with sofa bed/couch, bathroom (shower+toilet) 50 m from beach, satellite TV, kitchen, refrigerator, dining area, cooker-oven (electric), with parking. €40-80.
- Apartments Makarska, Splitska 63, ☎ +385 98 316332 ([email protected]), . New apartments with free wifi in room.
- Apartments Podgora, Ivana Meštrovića 13, ☎ +385 21625417 ([email protected]), . Two 75 m² 2 bedroom-dble beds, 3 WC, apartments near the sea. Satellite TV, A/C, heating, grill, kitchen, parking, phone, towels and bed-sheets provided balconies, sea views.
- VilaVentus, Molizanskih Hrvata 18A, ☎ +385 91 5665374 ([email protected]), . 2 rooms with use of kitchen, 2 apartments with own kitchen, 2 dble rooms, all with A/C, only 5 min walk from the beach. €25-90.
On the beach in Makarska, there are white beach chairs stacked along the beach. Although there is no sign to indicate that there is a charge to use these beach chairs, occasionally a money collector will come to demand that you pay for using the chair. However, the money collectors are vague about what you owe and how long you're paying for. They may also swindle you because they don't give receipts, so if another money collector comes along, you can't prove that you paid. If you refuse to pay the collector, he may threaten to call the police, but they don't seem to actually do so.
The city area code is 021 (Croatia area codes)
There are two major internet cafes in town. They're both very close to the main town square and are within a 45-second walk of each other. Both charge 20 kuna (~€2.86)/hr. Matrix seems to be more willing to sometimes spontaneously charge you less than what you owe.
- Internet Club Flex Directly on Kalelarga Street
- Matrix On a small street off of Kalelarga. Look for a sign saying internet.
The bus station is on Starčevića street near the intersection with Zvonimira street. It can connect you to many nearby cities. Below you may check bus timetable for Makarska as recent as August 2008.
- Island Brac (1 hr by boat)
- Biokovo mountain (1.30 hr)
- Cetina river For canyoning and rafting (30 km)
- Makarska Riviera 66 km of beaches
|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: Please read the Wikitravel:Manual of style for guidelines, and policies regarding content, style, formatting and layout before making additions or changes to this article