Magnetawan is a historical village in Canada. It is on the Trans Canada Trail, in the middle of a 78-km stretch.
- Birds and other wildlife can be observed year-round. If you ar a birder, keep the bird book and binoculars handy.
- During autumn the area becomes a blaze of colour as the leaves fall.
- The scenic drive in has abandoned homesteads, cemeteries that are a century old and ghost towns one can explore.
- Boating and swimming are possible in the numerous lakes and rivers in the area. - The primary lakes are Cecebe - up river from Magnetawan (you'll have to go through the locks), and Ahmic, Nehick and Otter lakes, a series of connected lakes downstream, all of which are accessible by boat.
- Fish for bass, pickerel, pike and trout. 'Pickerel' is just the local name for the Walleyed Pike. The pickerel fishing is not the same as it was in the 1960's, but you can still catch a large one if you troll deep. The smallmouth bass fishing is excellent. On Ahmic Lake, which is situated just downstream of magnetawan, you will find hundreds of coves, islands, rocky shoals, all of which great bass fishing areas. In the late spring and early summer, use light lures like Rapalas... Jitterbugs after dark on a calm night. Later in the summer, fish deeper with worms and crayfish. Ahmic is one of the most beautiful lakes in the area. 12 miles long - 43 miles of shoreline, much of which is pristine and not developed. There are places on the lake where you cannot see a cottage, a road or another boat.
- Driving, hiking, horseback riding and mountain biking are all possible on the quiet country roads in the area.
The Downtown General Store is an old fashioned grocery store with wooden floors, candy racks, fishing equipment, clothes and gifts... It's been around for at least 100 years and hasn't changed much at all. If you ask, they'll drive your groceries down to the dock and load them. Ask Heinens to do that!
If you want a fantastic, cheap, friendly meal, visit the Magnetawan Inn... Right in the center of town. Ask for Susan... have some ice cream and simply relax.