Mae Salong (แม่สลอง), also known as Doi Mae Salong (ดอยแม่สลอง) and Santikhiri, is in Chiang Rai Province, northern Thailand.
Mae Salong is a village settled by remnants of the former Chinese 93rd Division who moved from Burma to Thai territory in 1961. Originally supported by opium production, in the 1980s the Thai government integrated this enclave into Thai society and as part of the process introduced a policy of substituting opium production for growing tea.
Today, it is a major tourist attraction with a small-town ambience on high hills, delicious native Yunnanese dishes and small hotels and guesthouses catering to visitors. During December-February, the hills are alive with pinkish sakura cherry blossoms.
Take a Mai Sai heading bus from Chiang Rai Bus Station and get down at Pasang (approximately an hour, 25B), somewhere there's a junction which shows different directions for Mae Sai and Mae Salong, or simply ask the friendly bus conductor to inform where to get down.
There would be blue songtaews waiting at the T-juction for passengers going up mae salong. The songtaew charges 80B one way. After a 45 minutes ride, the songtaew will stop infront of a 7-11 shop at the mae salong town.
Drive on highway 1089 between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. The turn off is next to a police station. From here travel about 13km on some of the most amazingly curvy roads imaginable. The return trip can be undertaken on routes no. 1234 and no. 1130 which wind through Yao and Akha hilltribe villages. From Doi Mae Salong a road leads to Ban Tha Ton, the starting point for the Kok River cruise, a distance of 45 kilometres.
It is very convenient to rent a motorbike to wander around the hills and valley. Renting fee is about 200 baht per day. However, it comes with empty tank so need to re-fuel before any ride.
The Martyr's Memorial Hall
Early November, yellow sun flowers blooming on the hills.
Late December/early Jan, sakura flowers will covered the hills.
- Phra Boromathat Chedi is a chedi built on a hill near Mae Salong village, in honour of the late Princess Mother, Srinagarindra. To go there, someone sporty might ask for direction from a friendly villager and hikes through steep stairway. One might also take a de tour around the hill on motorbike. The road, while features breathtaking hilly views along Myanmar border, is windy and steep.
- Martyr's Memorial Hall, is a tribute paid to the KMT settlers of Mae Salong, who fought and sacrified for Thailand in their struggle with communist. It exhibits history of their struggle, along with developments of Mae Salong throughout the years. One may go there with an easy, short ride on motorbike.
- Tomb of General Tuan Xi-Wen, located at the end of a road beside a tea house with General Tuan's name. Some histories are available, in mandarin, though. There are some tea houses nearby, and one can enjoy spectacular view of Mae Salong there.
- Excellent Tea. Local and Chinese.
- Tea sets from China (the same set costs 8x as much in Hong Kong).
- Chinese candies and fruits.
Yunnan noodle with bean gravy sold on Mae Salong.
Local Chinese-style dishes worth trying include:
- Yunnan noodles (restaurant or morning market) with bean gravy
- Papa cake (baked glutinous rice with sweet or sour sesame fillings, outside morning market
- Soybean drinks with deep fried dough stick 油条 (morning market)
- Bamboo worm for the braves. Deep fried and dried, it tastes like crispy cookie.
- Im Phochana (อิ่มโภชนา) Doi Mae Salong (Chinese food) 0 5376 5297
- Sakura (ซากุระ) Mae Salong Resort, Tel: 0 5376 5014 (Chinese food)
- Central Hill (เซ็นทรัล ฮิลล์) 18/4 Mu 1 Doi Mae Salong (Tel: 0 5376 5113, 0 5376 5146), 19 rooms: 500 baht
- Gold Dragon Inn (โกลดราก้อน อินน์) Doi Mae Salong (Tel: 0 5376 5009), 26 rooms: 300-800 baht
- Khum Naipol Resort (คุ้มนายพล รีสอร์ท) 58 Mu 1 Doi Mae Salong (Tel: 0 5376 5001-3, 08 1493 5242 Fax: 0 5376 5003), www.tourismchiangrai.com, 20 rooms: 600-2,500 baht
- Mae Salong Resort (แม่สลอง รีสอร์ท) 3/8 Mu 1 Doi Mea Salong (Tel: 0 5376 5014-8, 0 5376 5132-4 Fax: 0 5376 5135), 78 rooms: 500-2,000 baht
- Mae Salong Villa (แม่สลอง วิลล่า) Doi Mae Salong (Tel: 0 5376 5114-9 Fax: 0 5376 5039), 60 rooms: 800-,1200 baht