Macau/TaipaMacau : Taipa
As an island, Taipa was situated between Macau Peninsular and Coloane Island but is now joined with Coloane by the Cotai Strip which was reclaimed from the sea. It is still separated from Macau Peninsula by the Pearl River, although three bridge provide road links between Taipa and the mainland.
Taipa used to be rural but massive development towards the end of the 20th century has seen the island transformed into an alternative city to the Peninsular. It boast many hotels, casinos, shopping malls and is home to the Macau Jockey Club racecourse.
The Macau International Airport is built on reclaimed land off the north-eastern end of Taipa.
Buses connect Macau Peninsula with Taipa, mostly via the Macau-Taipa or Old Bridge. Buses between the Peninsula and Taipa cost MOP$3.30 while those which continue on to Coloane will cost you MOP$4.2 or MOP$5 even if you get off at Taipa or if you catch it from Taipa to go to Coloane.
Some useful buses include:
Between the Peninsula and Taipa:
- 11 - A-Ma Temple to Macau Jockey Club via Av de Almeida Ribeiro and Hotel Lisboa
- 22 - Iao Hon to Macau Jockey Club via Rua do Campo, Hotel Lisboa
- 28A - Ferry Terminal to Macau Jockey Club via ZAPE, Hotel Lisboa, New Century, Taipa Village, Macau Stadium, Four-faced Buddha
- 30 - Portas do Cerco to Macau Jockey Club and Hotel New Century via Iao Hon, Taipa City
- 33 - Fai Chi Kei to Macau Jockey Club via Canindrome, Hotel Lisboa, Taipa Village, Macau Stadium, Four-faced Buddha
- AP1 - Portas do Cerco (Border Gate) to Macau International Airport via Ferry Terminal.
Between the Peninsula and Coloane via Taipa:
- 21 - Ponte a Horta to Coloane Village via A-Ma Temple, Macau Tower, Taipa City, Macau International Airport
- 21A - A-Ma Temple to Coloane via Av de Almeida Ribeiro, Hotel Lisboa, Taipa City
- 25 - Portas do Cerco to Coloane (Hac Sa) via Rua do Campo, Hotel Lisboa, Taipa City
- 26 - Fai Chi Kei to Coloane via Ponte a Horta, A-Ma Temple, Sai Van Bridge, Macau Jockey Club, Macau International Airport
- 26A - Fai Chi Kei to Coloane via Red Market, Av de Almeida Ribeiro, Hotel Lisboa, Taipa City, Macau Stadium, Olympic Aquatic Centre
Taipa is connected with Macau Peninsula by three bridges - the Ponte Governador Nobre de Carvalho or Macau-Taipa Bridge (also known as the Old bridge as it was the first of the three bridges), Ponte de Amizade (or Friendship Bridge) and the Ponte de Sai Van (Sai Van Bridge). The Macau-Taipa Bridge is the most direct link between Macau city center on the peninsula and the newly developed Taipa City, while the Friendship Bridge runs from near the Macau Ferry Terminal and the Macau International Airport. The Sai Van Bridge links the Barra area on the peninsula with the western tip of Taipa.
Between Taipa and Coloane, the only link used to be the Taipa-Coloane Isthmus Causeway. As the narrow straits between Taipa and Coloane has been reclaimed and developed into the Cotai area, the Isthmus Causeway (as it is still called) not only functions as the main highway between Taipa and Coloane but has also become the main drag for the Cotai Strip. There are now several other roads parallel to the Isthmus Causeway linking Taipa with Coloane.
There are no domestic ferry services from Taipa to either Macau Peninsula or Coloane. On 1 Dec 2007, direct ferry services to/from Hong Kong from the Taipa Temporary Ferry Terminal on Estrada de Pac On on the northeastern tip of Taipa near the Macau International Airport were started but were 'suspended indefinitely' on 11 December 2007. However, they have now resumed. See Macau's Get In section for details.
- Museum of Taipa and Coloane History, Rua Correia da Silva, Taipa - Contains detailed and informative displays of the two islands. Entry is M$5 and is open 10:00-18:00 daily except M.
- Taipa Houses Museum - Made up of a row of colonial houses from the early 20th century. They have been restored and preserved inside showing the style of living of the original owners.
- Crown Macau,  Intersection of Avenida Dr. Sun Yat Sen and Avenida de Kwong Tung. +853 8038-000. Fax +853 2883-9800
- Macau Jockey Club, 142 Estrada Governador Albano de Oliveira. +853 2883-2265.
- Casino Taipa, Regency Hotel, 2 Estrada Almirante Marques Esparteiro. +853 2883-1537.
- New Century,  Avenida Padre Tomas Pereira, No. 889, Taipa. +853 28830-6011.
The two Taipa Hills are suitable for hiking and cycling. The larger hill, on the east side of the island right next to the airport, has several unpaved hiking trails that can also be used for mountain-biking. The smaller hill, on the west side of the island, has a low-traffic paved road circling it which is suitable for cycling and running. For those without their own bicycles, there are (very mediocre, at best) bicycles for rent in Rua Governador Tamagnini Barbosa in Taipa village, just behind the bus stop.
- Dumbo Restaurant, Taipa Village, Ilha da Taipa, Macau (Entrance of the Taipa Village), ☎ +853 827-888. 12:00-23:00. Dumbo Restaurant serves Macau style Portuguese food that is famous in Macau. From curry crab, fried eel, steak grilled with onion, pork cutlet cooked in tomato sauce. edit
- Cafe Cheri, Governador Tamagnini Barbosa, No 21, Taipa Village, Taipa, Macau (On main road of Taipa Village), ☎ +853 2882 2185, . Portuguese style restaurant with nice decor in Taipa Village. They also have a location in Coloane. Go during lunch time for European style lunch specials, cheaper than Dumbo. 50-100 MOP. edit
- Irish Bar, Av. De Kwong Tung no. 116C-D G/F, Taipa, ☎ +853 2882-0708. 18:00-03:00. This is the place to head for a true Irish tavern experience – the bar is dark, service friendly, booths cozy, and it has one of Macau’s best ranges of draught beer. edit
- The Monkey Bar Lounge and Nightclub, 1F, Grand Waldo Casino, ☎ +853 2888-6833. 18:00-05:00. Laid back late-night joint with no dress code. Live music ranging from rock to pop and hiphop. Free champagne for ladies on Thursdays. edit
- Mini Bar & Lounge, Avenida Dr. Sun Yat Sen 119 FL R/C Flat F, Ed. Treasure Garden, Taipa, ☎ +853 2883-0638. 17:00-04:00. edit
- After Five, Rua de Nam Keng No.576 G/F, Taipa, ☎ +853 6221-4777. 17:00-02:00. edit
- Hive, Shop H, Treasure Garden, 135 Avenida. Dr. Sun Yat Sen, Taipa, Macau SAR, ☎ +853 2883-1711. edit
- Best Western Hotel Taipa,  822, Estrada Governador Nobre Carvalho, Taipa. +853 2882-1666. Fax +853 2882-0333. Email: [email protected]
- Golden Crown China Hotel, Taipa (opposite the Macau International Airport). +853 2885-1166. Fax +853 2885-1199. Email: [email protected]
- Grandview Hotel  142, Estrada Governador Albano de Oliveira, Taipa. +853 2883-7788. Fax +853 2883-7736. Email: [email protected] - The Grandview hotel is located in the heart of Taipa Island, seconds away from the Macau Jockey Club, Four-faced Buddha, and the Macau Stadium, and only five minutes from the Macau International Airport. Best rates on official website start at HK$380.
- Hotel Taipa Square, Rua de Chaves, Taipa. +853 2883-9933. Fax +853 2883-9922. Email: [email protected]
- New Century Hotel,  889, Av. Padre Tomas Pereira, Taipa. +853 2883-1111, Fax +853 2883-2222. Email: [email protected] - While technically a 5 star hotel, it is a little run-down (2007).
- Regency Hotel,  Estrada Almirante Marques Esparteiro, Taipa. +853 831-234. Fax +853 2883-0195. Email: [email protected]