Lynchburg has often been cited as the largest city in America without immediate interstate highway access. The easiest way into Lynchburg from the north and south is Route 29. Route 460 runs through the city east-west. Lynchburg is about 1 hour south of Charlottesville on Route 29, and can also be accessed from Interstate 81 by taking 460 across the mountains and down into Lynchburg. Lynchburg is serviced by Lynchburg Regional/Preston Glenn Field Airport (LYH).
Lynchburg's historic districts contain many beautiful homes from the 19th century. Enjoy a drive along hilly cobblestone streets and view these large and lavish homes.
Witness the dramatic beauty of the Blue Ridge Parkway, The Peaks of Otter, and Natural Bridge, all within an hour of the city.
Lynchburg has many historic places to visit, such as Thomas Jefferson's summer home, the Confederate Cemetery, and Point of Honor.
Just a short drive from Lynchburg is James Monroe’s home, Ash Lawn, as well as Thomas Jefferson’s beloved Monticello and Patrick Henry's Red Hill. Revisit the past at the Appomattox Courthouse.
Education is well-represented Lynchburg; it is the home of Central Virginia Community College, Christ College, Liberty University, Lynchburg College, Randolph College, and Virginia University of Lynchburg. Also nearby is Sweet Briar College.
Lynchburg has two public high schools, E.C. Glass and Heritage. There are several private schools in the area, including Virginia Episcopal School, Holy Cross Regional Catholic School, James River Day Shool, and Liberty Christian Academy (founded by the late Jerry Falwell.
- Courtyard Lynchburg, 4640 Murray Place/Candlers Mountain Road, 434-846-7900. .
- Holiday Inn Select, 601 Main St., 434-528-0062.
- Travelodge, 1500 Main St, 434-845-5975.
- Days Inn, 3320 Candlers Mountain Rd, 434-847-8655.
- Super 8, 3736 Candlers Mountain Rd, 434-846-1668.
- Wingate Inn, 3777 Candlers Mtn. Rd., 434-845-1800.
- Quality Inn, 3125 Albert Lankford Dr., 434-847-8513.
- Best Western, 2815 Candlers Mountain Rd, 434-237-2986.
- Econo Lodge, 2400 Stadium Rd, 434-847-1045.
- Sleep Inn, 3620 Candlers Mountain Rd., 434-846-6900.
- The Residence Bed & Breakfast, 2460 Rivermont Avenue, 888-835-0387, [www.theresidencebb.com]
- Federal Crest Inn, 1101 Federal St, 434-845-6155. Bed & Breakfast.
- Ramada, 1500 Main St, 434-845-5975.
- Radisson, 2900 Candlers Mountain Rd, 434-237-6333.
- Novell-Otey House, 1020 Federal St., 434-528-1020. Bed & Breakfast.
- Ivy Creek Farm, 2812 Link Rd, 434-384-3802.