Lynchburg is a scenic city located east of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia.
Lynchburg has often been cited as the largest city in America without immediate interstate highway access. The easiest way into Lynchburg from the north and south is Route 29. Route 460 runs through the city east-west. Lynchburg is about 1 hour south of Charlottesville on Route 29, and can also be accessed from Interstate 81 by taking 460 across the mountains and down into Lynchburg. Lynchburg is serviced by Lynchburg Regional/Preston Glenn Field Airport (LYH).
Amtrak's Crescent also serves Lynchburg once daily train in each direction on its way between NYC and New Orleans.
While the Lynchburg area does has a bus service , a car is the best way to get around Lynchburg.
Lynchburg's historic districts contain many beautiful homes from the 19th century. Enjoy a drive along hilly cobblestone streets and view these large and lavish homes.
Witness the dramatic beauty of the Blue Ridge Parkway, The Peaks of Otter, and Natural Bridge, all within an hour of the city.
Lynchburg has many historic places to visit, such as Thomas Jefferson's summer home, the Confederate Cemetery, and Point of Honor.
Just a short drive from Lynchburg is James Monroe’s home, Ash Lawn, as well as Thomas Jefferson’s beloved Monticello and Patrick Henry's Red Hill. Revisit the past at the Appomattox Courthouse.
Education is well-represented Lynchburg; it is the home of Central Virginia Community College, Christ College, Liberty University, Lynchburg College, Randolph College, and Virginia University of Lynchburg. Also nearby is Sweet Briar College.
Lynchburg has two public high schools, E.C. Glass and Heritage.
There are several private schools in the area, including Virginia Episcopal School, Holy Cross Regional Catholic School, James River Day Shool, and Liberty Christian Academy (founded by the late Jerry Falwell.
La Carreta: Best authentic Mexican resturant in Lynchburg. There are several locations, including one on Timberlake Rd. The Chorizo is amazing.
El Cabritos: Small, local Tex-Mex fastfood resturant on Timberlake Rd. They used to have karaoke on Wednesday nights.
China Super Buffet: Located in Waterlick Plaza.
New China: Located in Waterlick Plaza.
Sakura: Japanese resturant in the Fort Hill area.
Diary Queen: Timberlake Rd.
Sundae Grill: Some of the best ice cream in Lynchurg. Located in the Candler's Station area right across from the Movies 10 ($1.00 movies). They also serve hot food and sandwiches.
Cold Stone Creamery: Wards Rd.
Mountain Frost Creamery: Boonsboro Rd.
Papa Johns: Timberlake Rd.
Vitos Pizza: Offers lunch buffet, complete with dessert pizzas. Timberlake Rd. next to Big Lots.
OIP (Original Italian Pizza): Offers lunch buffet. Located in Waterlick Plaza
-Fish & Chicken-
Captain D's: Family type of fastfood seafood resturant on Timberlake Rd., somewhat similar to Long John Silver, but better.
Bojangles: Southern style chicken fastfood resturant located on Timberlake Rd.
Chick-Fil-A: Wards Rd.
KFC/Long John Silver
-Burgers & Fries & Other Fastfood-
Wendy's: Various locations including Timberlake Rd.
McDonalds: Various locations including Timberlake Rd.
Subway: Located in Waterlick Plaza and Campbell Ave.
Sonics: Wards Rd.
TGI Friday: Located on Timberlake Rd.
Texas Roadhouse: Wards Rd.
Ruby Tuesday: Wards Rd.
Texas Inn: A small plates restaurant downtown. Also offers a few full dinners. Located near 5th St.
Cracker Barrel: Wards Rd.
Olive Garden: Wards Rd.
Plenty of over places as well.
Starbucks: Wards Rd.
Sonics: Wards Rd.
- Courtyard Lynchburg, 4640 Murray Place/Candlers Mountain Road, 434-846-7900. .
- Holiday Inn Select, 601 Main St., 434-528-0062.
- Travelodge, 1500 Main St, 434-845-5975.
- Days Inn, 3320 Candlers Mountain Rd, 434-847-8655.
- Super 8, 3736 Candlers Mountain Rd, 434-846-1668.
- Wingate Inn, 3777 Candlers Mtn. Rd., 434-845-1800.
- Quality Inn, 3125 Albert Lankford Dr., 434-847-8513.
- Best Western, 2815 Candlers Mountain Rd, 434-237-2986.
- Econo Lodge, 2400 Stadium Rd, 434-847-1045.
- Sleep Inn, 3620 Candlers Mountain Rd., 434-846-6900.
- The Residence Bed & Breakfast, 2460 Rivermont Avenue, 888-835-0387, [www.theresidencebb.com]
- Federal Crest Inn, 1101 Federal St, 434-845-6155. Bed & Breakfast.
- Ramada Lynchburg, 3436 Odd Fellows Road, +1 434-847-7500, .
- Ramada, 1500 Main St, 434-845-5975.
- Radisson, 2900 Candlers Mountain Rd, 434-237-6333.
- Novell-Otey House, 1020 Federal St., 434-528-1020. Bed & Breakfast.
- Ivy Creek Farm, 2812 Link Rd, 434-384-3802.
- Craddock Terry Hotel, 1312 Commerce Street Lynchburg, VA 24504, ☎ 434.455.1500, . Also includes Lynchburg's only brewpub in the building.