- For other places with the same name, see Lumut (disambiguation).
Lumut is a small town in Perak, on the west coast of Malaysia, almost exactly halfway between Kuala Lumpur and Penang. It is the gateway to the island of Pangkor.
- Kuala Lumpur - very frequent departures (several per hour at peak times) between 07:30 and 01:00 - typical fare 18 ringgit, about 4 hours
- Ipoh - frequent departures (at least one per hour) between 09:00 and 19:00 - typical fare 6.5 ringgit
- Butterworth/Penang - several departures daily - typical fare 19 ringgit, about 5 hours
- Other destinations with direct or semi-direct service (may go via another town, but no change of bus) include: Alor Star, Johor Bahru/Singapore, Kangar, Kelang, Kota Bharu (~30 ringgit), Kuala Perlis, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan, Malacca, Muar, Seremban, Sungai Petani, Termeloh. For many longer-distance routes, both daytime and overnight services are available.
You can take a taxi or rental car from Kuala Lumpur or Penang (guarded car parks are available if you have your own car).
From the Lumut pier, ferries depart regularly to different parts of Pangkor Island. Fares are 10 ringgit per person, and 1 ringgit for bicycles. First departure from Lumut is at 07:00, last at 20:30. First departure from Pangkor is at 06:30, last at 20:30. Departures are at 30-45 minutes intervals, depending on the time of day, and the crossing usually takes no more than 45 minutes.
Ferries to Medan, Indonesia appear to no longer operate.
There's an abundance of typical Malaysian diners around the Pangkor ferry piers, plus a lone KFC franchise (these are normally paired with a Pizza Hut outlet, but not here).
- Nasi Briyani Ayam Madu, No 39,Jalan sultan Idris Shah (directly towards the jetty terminal, 1 mins walk from the ferry pier) - conveniently located but famous for nasi briyani ayam madu and must try dishes when you visit lumut. Fair priced with malaysian menu
- Era Restaurant, ground floor, 7&9 Jalan Raja Muda Musa (directly opposite the bus station, 2-3 mins. walk from the ferry pier) - conveniently located but other unremarkable except for the fact that it's open 24 hours. Open sided, fairly large, spacious and clean, has an entirely Malaysian menu with all mains priced between 3-4.5 ringgit.
- Capri Restaurant, 4174 Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 32200 Lumut, Perak (Near the KFC), ☎ 05-683 3118. 11:30 am - 11:30 pm. Capri is a western style restaurant with bit of an Italian theme which includes pizza, lasagne, chicken, salmon etc. A good selection of wines, liquors and beers are available. Free wifi. Meals around RM20-30.
- Jook Joint Bristo, PT4180 Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 32200 Lumut, Perak (Near KFC and Capri), ☎ 05-6836202. 11 am to 1 am. Western & Malaysian Cuisines including wine, beers and cocktails. Free wifi. RM20-30.
- Jook Joint Bar, Jalan Titi Panjang (Ground level of Lumut Waterfront Villa). 7 pm-late, Sunday closed. Bar with some pool tables. RM11 for small beer.
There are a few budget Chinese hotels on Jalan Titi Panjang.
- Hotel Era ("Backpackers Lodge") 1st floor, 7&9 Jalan Raja Muda Musa, tel:05-6838910 has a very convenient location - it's directly opposite the bus station, and 2-3 minutes walk from the Pangkor ferry jetty. Prices are on the high side - 25 ringgit for a single person fan room with shared bathroom, and 60 ringgit for an air-con double with private bathroom. For 35 ringgit you get a room with two very small (shorter than normal) and very saggy beds with no blanket or top sheet, a fan, and a hole in the ceiling. Not recommended for light sleepers - the curtains are tissue thin and flashing "Christmas-tree" lights are hung outside, plus it's very noisy - as well as the busy main road traffic, there are two TVs in the ground floor restaurant (which is open 24 hours) and another in the hotel lobby, and the local mosque has loudspeakers just along the street which issue loud and lengthy calls to prayer. The shared bathrooms (only two - one male, one female - so expect queues) are grubby but serviceable, with western toilets and cold showers.
- Virgo Batik Resort, Persiaran Teluk Batik, Teluk Batik, 32200, ☎ 05-6836334, . Offers 89 accommodation rooms, all of which have air-condition, cable television, mini-bar, and private toilet and bath. Some of its amenities include restaurant, ballroom, laundry service, and wake-up call. Best rates on official website start at MYR 120.
There are about a dozen mid-range hotels within a few minutes walk of the Pangkor ferry jetty, most with rates starting around 100-175 ringgit for air-con double rooms.
- Crystal Bay Chalet, Jalan Teluk Batik, 32200 Lumut, Manjung, Perak Darul Ridzuan, ☎ 05-683 8888, . The hotel offers rustic air-conditioned chalets, all of which have a cable TV, a coffee/tea maker, and a private toilet and bath with hot water. Includes a restaurant that serves Asian and seafood dishes, sports equipment for kayaking, jungle trekking and fishing, and a camp ground. Rates on official website start at MYR 70.00.
- Lumut Valley Resort Condominium (LVRC) Lumut Valley Resort offers clean, secure, comfortable, affordable and yet flexible accomodation to travellers, either on business or vacations; and/or expatriates working in the vicinity of Lumut, Sitiawan, and Manjung District. Sixty two (62) units of air-conditioned furnished service apartments are available for rental either on daily, weekly, or monthly basis depending on your needs.
- The Orient Star Resort Lumut, Lot 203 & 366, Jlan Iskandar Shah, 32200 Lumut, Perak Darul Ridzuan, ☎ (605) 683 3800, . There are 150 rooms consisting of 4 VIP Suites, 6 Junior Suites, 8 Super Deluxe rooms, 66 Deluxe rooms and 66 Superior Rooms. All rooms have views to the sea. Free wifi. Starting from RM150.
- Swiss-Garden Golf Resort & Spa Damai Laut, Hala Damai 2, Jalan Damai Laut, Off Jalan Teluk Senangin, 32200 Lumut, Perak Darul Ridzuan (Off Jalan Teluk Senangin about 20 km from Lumut), ☎ 605-685 9333 ([email protected]), . checkin: 1500; checkout: 1200. Secluded setting with plenty of facilities including a golf course. Wifi available for about RM 30 for 24 hours. Deluxe Garden View RM 230 to Damai Suite RM 1750.
- De Villa - Lot 3A, Lumut Waterfront Villa, Jalan Titi Panjang, tel:05-6835585 fax: 05-6804800 [email protected]  open Mon-Sat 10:00-midnight, Sun+hols noon-midnight. Internet access 3 ringgit/hour.
- Fiqah Internet Cafe - NO 47 B, Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, Lumut, tel:05-6834046 open Mon-Sun 9:00 morning -midnight. Internet access RM 2.50 /hour. (this is the only Internet cafe available in Lumut)
Shops #5 (open 08:00-19:00) & #6 (open 10:00-21:00) at the bus station charge 1 ringgit/item/day.
Klinik Pergigian Ting (Dr. Celine Ting BDS), No. 9, Taman Sitiawan Maju II, Jalan Lumut, 32000 Sitiawan, Perak (On the same side and near The Store), ☎ 05-6928266. Mon-Sat 9am-1pm; 2pm-6pm.