| || |
| || |
Revision as of 13:02, 26 January 2013
Lugo is in Galicia, NW of Spain.
Lugo is a city in Galicia, in the north-west of Spain. It has a population of around 100,000 people, and is home to a considerable student population with a campus of the nearby University of Santiago de Compostela to the south of the city centre. The city is well known for it's historic roman walls which circle the old town, reaching a height of almost 15 metres - they are still in excellent condition, and remain completely intact. Their historic status is recognised internationally, and form a UNESCO world heritage site.
The city was founded between the years 26 and 12 AD, by Paulo Fabio Máximo.
By air, the closest airport is Lavacolla  (ICAO: LEST, IATA: SCQ), about two hours by bus away. Empresa Freire  operates a regular bus service to and from Santiago de Compostela, with a stop at the airport.
The following companies operate currently at this airport:
- Adria Airways: Ljubljana
- Aer Lingus: Dublin
- Air Berlin: Palma de Mallorca
- Air Europa: Fuerteventura, Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, Tenerife and Caracas
- EasyJet: Geneve and Basel
- Iberia: Madrid and Bilbao
- Ryanair: Frankfurt, Milan, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca, Lanzarote, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Tenerife
- Volotea: Venice, Ibiza and Menorca
- Vueling: Barcelona, Málaga, Paris and Zurich
- Turkish Airlines:Istanbul
RENFE has a train station in the city, which connects Lugo by rail to the rest of Spain.
- A daily overnight sleeper service to Madrid leaves Lugo each night.
- Regional services connect Lugo directly to A Coruña, Ourense and Monforte de Lemos, and from those destinations every major town in Galicia can be reached .
Lugo is just off the A-6 national highway, which reaches from A Coruña in Galicia to Ponferrada and Madrid. It is also on the N-640 Galician route from Ourense to the northern coast at Ourense. Driving around town is relatively easy, however there are a number of one way streets which can be confusing. Much of the old town is pedestrianised, and as such off-limits to most drivers.
Lugo Bus Station (Praza Constitución) is just outside the old city walls, and serves a number of destinations.
- Empresa Freire  provides a regular service to Santiago which goes via the airport.
- ALSA  also serves destinations throughout Spain, including Madrid (5-6 hours), Madrid Barajas Airport (6-7 hours), and Santander (6-7 hours).
The city is small, and the tourist centre is easily navigable by foot. Maps are available from tourist information offices and most hotels. Bus services operate to the outskirts.
- Roman Walls (Roman Walls). The Roman Walls are the number one historic attraction in the city, and are considered some of the best preserved in Europe. They have been made a UNESCO world heritage site, and form a loop of around 2km around the old city, with 71 towers along their length. Entering the old city still requires you to walk through one of the gates, which were used until the 19th century. Free.
- Catedral de Lugo (Lugo Cathedral). Construction began here in 1129, with further work taking place for several hundred years after. Also located on the same site is the diocesan museum with an interesting archaeological collection.
The University of Santiago de Compostela has a campus in the town , to the south of the centre, which offers a number of programmes, including exchange opportunities for private students and those looking to study through existing exchange programmes such as Erasmus. They offer courses in:
- Veterinary Medicine
- Business Administration
- Fonto do Rei 2, Avenida de Madrid (15 minutes walk from the old town.). Serves excellent tapas and seafood for good prices.
The vast majority of bars will provide you with a small portion of food (tapa) with a drink order (even a soft drink), and with enough drinks often a sizeable amount of food can be had!
- A Casa de Piego, San Acisclo, 10 (Foz (Lugo)), ☎ +34982142148, . El paso del tiempo resalta el volumen macizo de esta casa de aldea de finales del siglo XIX The passage of the time stand out the massive volume of this village house of XIX century
- Hotel Puerta de San Pedro (Hotel Puerta de San Pedro), C/ Rio Neira, 29 (Very close to the bus station and just off a main road from the town centre.), ☎ +34982222381, . A pleasant hotel very close to the bus station and just outside the city walls, it offers 36 clean and simple rooms. Breakfast is available in the hotel, but there are many other places to go nearby. €34.
- Hotel Spa Casa Conors (Hotel Spa Casa Conors), Carretera de Forxan, ☎ (+34)982132937, . Hotel Spa Casa Conors is located at an exceptional spot on the Galician coasts, namely, the town of Foz, province of Lugo. (43.574966,-7.279859)
Lugo is a really safe place to visit like Galicia in general, however some caution never hurts (especially on the weekends at night).
For all emergencies dial 112.