Luggage delivery services provide a door-to-door luggage delivery service, where your luggage or sports equipment is picked-up from your home, office or any physical address and delivered to your hotel, resort or any other physical address.
Traveling with checked-in luggage is becoming increasingly stressful and frustrating as security is becoming evermore strict, luggage allowances are reducing and excess luggage fees increasing. For some travellers the situation is even worse, especially those travelling with kids and those that cannot physically manage their luggage, in particular some senior travellers and travellers with disabilities.
The advantages of luggage delivery services are numerous:
- You can travel with just your hand luggage
- Reduce the queues at check-in. Travelling with hand luggage only means you can check-in at the hand-luggage only counter and avoid the prolonged luggage check-in queues.
- If you check-in online, it means you can bypass the traditional check-in desk altogether, also meaning that you can arrive at the airport closer to the departure time of your flight.
- Avoid the queue at the baggage carousel at your destination airport.
- Eliminate incidents of airline lost, delayed or damaged luggage
- Can ship surfboards and other oddly-shaped items that airlines may not accept as checked luggage.
But there are disadvantages too:
- Luggage delivery costs money, while checked bags are either free or nearly so. A small bag for a US transcontinental flight (say, NY to LA) will cost at least $50, while a 20 kg (44 lb) pound bag from US to Asia could set you back over $300, plus pick up fees, fuel surcharges, etc.
- Luggage delivery is slow. Typical delivery time is 5 business days, or even more for international flights. Express services are available, but they can easily double or triple the cost.
- Luggage delivery as unaccompanied baggage may cause Customs hassles, although most luggage deliverers take care of the paperwork.
Luggage delivery service providers
- Luggage Forward  Exceptional service to over 200 countries.
- Luggage Free . US domestic and some European countries.
- Personal Porter . Australia to UK, US, some other countries.
- Transglobal . World wide