Lufkin is a city in Angelina County, in the Piney Woods region of north-east Texas.
US Highway 59 (north and south route), US Highway 69 (from the northwest), Route 94 (from the west), and Route 103 (east and west road).
The closest commercial airport to Lufkin is in Humble Texas (George Bush International Airport), about 107 miles south on US Highway 59 (or a little more than 172 kilometers). The Dallas / Fort Worth Airport is approximately 193 miles away (or little more than 310 kilometers). Lufkin also has its own municipal airport for general aviation which is south of the city.
Greyhound Bus Lines has an active bus depot in the middle of the city just off of the main street called South Angelina (located on 302 South 1st). You can contact the depot at (936) 634-9231. Hours of operation are: 8:00AM to 11:00PM and 12:01PM to 5:00PM (Monday through Friday, Saturday: 9:00AM to 1:00PM, Closed all day on Sundays and major holidays.
Although there are active freight lines that run through Lufkin; however, there is not a passenger line (I.E. Amtrak) that runs through Lufkin or nearby.
Visitors can walk around the downtown area easily; however, other sites away from downtown will require some other form of transportation.
The local bus operation called the Brazos Transit District, that has several routes in Lufkin. Hours of operation are 5:00AM till 7:00PM, Monday through Friday - except for major national holidays. Rates (one-way, and exact change is required) are $1.50 for the general public, $0.75 for children ages 6 - 12 (children under 6 are free with a paid adult passenger), and $0.75 for seniors (over 60) with an S-pass issued from the main terminal. Call 1-979-778-0607 ext 7008 for additional information about the transportation service.
- Checkerboard Taxi Company - (936) 639-4911
- Hughes Cab Company - (936) 637-6388
- Ellen Trout Zoo (Lufkin Zoo), 402 Zoo Cir, Lufkin TX (On the north Loop 287, exit north on Martin Luther King and turn left immediately onto Zoo Circle.), ☎ 936-633-0399, . 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. An accredited zoo by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. A fairly large zoo considering it's located in Lufkin Texas! Has a hippopotamus, giraffe, and white rhinoceros exhibits, and many other small exhibits of smaller animals from around the world. The zoo has a train ride for $2.00 for all passengers. $5 for adults $2.50 for children ages 4 to 11,.
- Texas Forestry Museum, 1905 Atkinson Dr. Lufkin, TX 75901 (Take the US 59 loop east bound, take the Atkinson Drive exit and go westbound approximately 500 feet.), ☎ (936) 632-9535, . 10 AM to 5 PM (Mon - Fri) Closed on major holidays. Historical museum with several exhibits collections of the development of role of forestry in the Pineywoods of Texas. Has a company store, a sawmill exhibit, and wildscape trail for visitors to see. no charge but donations are accepted.
- The Museum of East Texas, 503 North Second St Lufkin, TX 75901 (Take US 59 north until it becomes 1st street. Make a left west Dennman Ave. Make a right on north Angelina Steet. Make a right on Bremond Ave. Make a left on 2nd street. The museum is two blocks north on 2nd street.), ☎ (936) 639-4434, . Tuesday through Friday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.. Art museum of local artists in east Texas. Photography / flash photos, or any type of video recording is not permitted once inside of the museum. Sketching with paper and pencil is permitted, as long as it does not interfere with the flow of traffic from other patrons of the museum.
- Lufkin Golf Course (Crown Colony Country Club), 1624 Sayers St Lufkin, TX 75904 (Inside the Crown Colony subdivsion.), ☎ (936) 632-2848, . 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM. An 18 hole course with decent fairways. Pretty good course for the price and location. Best to call the course in advance to reserve tee times, there are no discount tee times offered at this course. For those who just want to practice driving, a bucket of balls costs $10 plus tax. $135.00 (March thru June & September thru November) $111.00 (January thru February, July thru August & December).
- Lufkin Antique Mall, 118 N. First Street, 936 634 9119.
- Sals & Sams, 290 S First St, Lufkin, TX., ☎ (469) 726-9424, . 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. A food truck that is new to the area with a Greek / American / Texas BBQ flair. A local favorite you can't go wrong with is the pulled pork sandwich! $6 - $10 for most meals.
- Cafe Del Rio, 1901 South 1st, Lufkin, TX 75901, ☎ (936) 639-4471, . Tex-Mex style food, which is not the same as authentic Mexican food (as Tex-Mex is typically loaded with lots of cheese). Food is inexpensive and the portions are generous - be aware it can be very noisy during peak times at night. Complimentary soft serve ice cream to all patrons. $10 - $15.
- Tokyo Japanese Seafood & Steak House, 2950 S John Redditt Dr, Lufkin, TX 75904, ☎ (936) 699-5080. Americanized Japanese food - the teppanyaki steak restaurant you would see at a typical Benihana chain restaurant. $10-15 per entree.
- Cotton Patch Cafe, 3207 S 1st St Lufkin, TX 75901. Southern country style food - consisting mostly of chicken fried steaks, steamed vegetables, mashed potatoes, burgers, and sweet tea. $10 - $15.
- Cotton Patch Cafe, 3207 S 1st St Lufkin, TX 75901, ☎ (936) 639-4949. Southern style food - consisting mostly of burgers, chicken fried steak, steamed vegetables, and mashed potatoes.
There is no local beverage or brewery in Lufkin, due to the fact that Angelina County is a (somewhat) "dry" county. Meaning beer and wines are sold only during specific days / times, and public consumption is prohibited.
- Courtyard by Marriott Lufkin, 2130 South 1st Street, ☎ 936-632-0777, .
- La Quinta Inn Lufkin, 4306 S 1st St (Approximately 0.25 miles north on Hwy 59 from the local Walmart / Sam Club), ☎ (936) 634-3351, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. The hotel is a bit dated, but it's a chain brand budget hotel. Free WiFi in the rooms, and the typical American continental breakfast (buffet style meal consisting mostly of doughnuts, bagels, and coffee). $85.00 per night for a economy room.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lufkin South, 4404 South 1st Street Lufkin (south side of the city on Highway 59), ☎ (936)-699-3000, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. Typical business style hotel. One of the newer properties in Lufkin, but one of the more expensive hotels as well. On the south side of the city on Highway 59, nearby the Angelina Community College. $130 per night.
- Best Western Plus Crown Colony Inn & Suites, 3211 South 1st Street Lufkin (on Highway 59 south - south side of city), ☎ (936) 634-3481, . checkin: 2:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. Hotel that caters to traveling business personnel. Free Wi-Fi, bottled water, morning buffet breakfast, and local newspapers for customers. Nearby the entrance to the Crown Colony Subdivison - across the street from the Angelina Community College. $100 per night.
- Lake Sam Rayburn, 10 minutes east, is the largest lake completely inside Texas.