| || |
|−|'''Hotels/Motels''' | |
|−|*<sleep name="Best Western" alt="" address="636 W. Griswold Rd., Elyria, OH 4035" directions="" phone="(440)324-5050" url="book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productln-fo.do?propertyCode=36109" checkin="" checkout="" price="" lat="" long="">Free continental breakfast, free high-speed Internet access, heated indoor pool, exercise room, cable television with free HBO® are among the many amenities that awaits you at the Best Western Inn. We are conveniently located off Interstate 90 and the Ohio Turnpike at Exit 145A.</sleep> | |
| || |
Revision as of 18:22, 14 July 2011
|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: Listings for individual hotels, restaurants and other businesses need to be moved from this article to the appropriate city article. Wikitravel region articles should provide an high level overview of the region, with pointers to the appropriate city articles for greater detail.
Lorain County is in Northeast Ohio. Located a short distance west of Cleveland, Ohio and east of Sandusky, Ohio, along the North Coast and shore of Lake Erie. The county seat is Elyria, Ohio. The Black River flows north through the county and into Lake Erie at Lorain
- Findley State Park southern Lorain County, 25381 State Route 58, Wellington, 272 non-electric camp sites, fully stocked camp store, sand volleyball, basketball court, two horseshoe pits, 93-acre lake, two launch ramps, canoes, rowboats, paddleboats and ten miles of hiking trails. Eight miles of singletrack mountain biking.
- Lake Erie Lake Erie is the shallowest, warmest and southernmost of the Great Lakes, and is the 12th largest freshwater lake in the world. Erie's shallowness adds to its treacherous reputation; she can go from flat calm to a raging beast in less than 20 minutes. (Dave Kelch, Ohio State University Extension Specialist, Ohio Sea Grant)
- Lake Erie Shipwrecks Lake Erie has over 1700 shipwrecks , of which only approximately 277 have been found and salvaged, or located by divers and remain on the bottom. Over 6000 shipwrecks are known to have occurred Great Lakes-wide, with Lake Erie claiming the most at 1700. Lorain's offshore waters hold some of the best wrecks for diving in Lake Erie. Popular destination shipwrecks offshore of the Lorain area include: Morning Star, City of Concord, Courtland, Hickory Stick, Sarah Sheldon, Ivanhoe, Craftsman, Alva B, John Pridgeon Jr., and the Duke Luedtke just to mention a few. (Dave Kelch, Ohio State University Extension Specialist, Ohio Sea Grant)
 Miles of rolling, rural roads with beautiful scenery ranging from farmland and forest to the nautical flavor of the Lake Erie Shoreline. The route provides the most scenic and low traffic routes that lead riders through some of Ohio's best landscape. It also highlights some of the area's most relevant history, culture, arts and cutting-edge environmental initiatives. The BRaB tour only highlights eateries that feature locally grown produce, organics, healthy choices and spectacular outdoor views of natural areas. The route travels through several small towns and cities in Lorain County. The tour is popular with both touring cyclists as well as training athletes and triathletes. The tour features abundant Underground Railroad history as well as six wineries and a number of art galleries along the way.
Mileage and Terrain: Most of the route is relatively flat with a few rolling sections. You will find some challenging climbs in the northwest section, just south of Vermilion.
- Black River and Lake Erie Kayaking Kayakers of all skill levels will be comfortable on the Black River and/or Lake Erie. Lake Erie offers spectacular scenery, birding and up-close views of the Lorain Lighthouse. From here you can kayak on Lake Erie, inside or outside the breakwall.
- Mountain Biking The almost 10 mile Thorn Mountain Biking trail at Findley State Park has beautiful forested single track with options for beginner to expert. 
- Cascade Park Elyria. Features beautiful twin waterfalls that mark the union of the east and west branches of the Black River. Explore the shale cliffs and natural formations created by the retreat of the Wisconsin glacier over 12,000 years ago.
- Lakeview Beach and Park On SR 6 in Lorain. Newly restored, this is one of the nicest beaches on Lake Erie with a brand new bathhouse that overlooks Lake Erie and the Lorain Lighthouse. It is one of Lorain County's most picturesque beaches. Historic fountain is lit up at night. 
- Lake Erie Central Basin Sport Fishing  Sport fishing in Lorain County consists of walleye fishing in Lake Erie, to fishing the numerous tributary streams for trophy steelhead. Walleye are considered the most-pursued game fish on Lake Erie, and in Lorain County waters, they are caught along Lorain County's rocky nearshore beginning in the spring and continuing through the entire season. Deeper offshore waters offer anglers plenty of walleye action during the summer and fall months, with both trolling and drifting/cast methods being productive. Limit catches and trophy sized fish are trademarks of our Lake Erie waters. The well-known sandbar, located between Lorain and Vermilion, creates a natural habitat for summer and fall walleye, producing many trophy-size walleye in late October and November. Smallmouth bass are plentiful along the entire lenght of Lorain County's rocky shoreline and artificial reef structures, providing fast action from spring through fall. (Dave Kelch, Ohio State University Extension Specialist, Ohio Sea Grant)
- Underground Railroad History While northern Lorain County established itself as a manufacturing mecca, a tiny town miles to the south put itself on the map for a different reason. Oberlin would come to be known as "The Town that Started the Civil War." Students and faculty of Oberlin College were especially sympathetic to fugitive slaves. Today the college's Underground Railroad sculpture, dramatic railroad tracks that emerge from the ground, is surrounded by a healing garden of flowering and leafed plants used by slaves on their road to freedom. The Oberlin Heritage Center  and the Spirit of '76 Museum in Wellington are valuable resources for more on the area's role in the civil War. Throughout Lorain County, churches, cemeteries, historic homes and peaceful parks collectively tell America's story of freedom. "On the Trail to Freedom," is a program developed in 1992 by Visit Lorain County which guides visitors to points of interest on the Underground Railroad. 
- Allen Memorial Art Museum  One of the finest college or university collections in the United States, comprising more than 12,000 works of art from virtually every culture.
- Frank Lloyd Wright - Weltzheimer/Johnson House  The first Usonian house in Ohio and one of the few in the nation open to the public.
Lorain county is rich with history, with almost every city within having some kind of historical museums. However, you will find that most residents, especially younger people, will not even be aware of their own town's history. Take a trip to the local Historical Society in whichever town you are visiting to get a good overview of the history.
- Amherst Historical Society & Sandstone Village, 113 South Lake St., Amherst, OH 44001, ☎ (440) 988-7255, .
- Amherst Heritage House, 439 Shupe Ave., Amherst, OH 44001, ☎ (440) 988-7130. * <see name="Avon Historical Society" alt="" address="2940 Stoney Ridge Rd., Avon, OH 44011" directions="" phone="(440) 934-6106" email="" fax="" url="http://www.avonhistory.org" hours="" price="">
- Black River Historical Society, 309 West 5th St., Lorain, OH 44052, ☎ (440) 245-2563, .
- Friends of Harbour Town 1837, 5741 Liberty Ave., Vermilion, OH 44089, ☎ (440) 967-4252, .
- Lorain County Historical Society and Museum, 509 Washington Ave., Elyria, OH 44035, ☎ (440) 322-3341, .
- North Ridgeville Historical Society, 36119 Center Ridge Rd., North Ridgeville, .
- Spirit of '76 Museum, 201 N. Main Street., Wellington, OH 44090.
- Oberlin Heritage Center, 73 1/2 S./ Professor St., Oberlin, OH 44074, ☎ (440) 774-1700, .
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial of Lorain County, North Lake St., Amherst, OH 44001, .
- 103rd O.V.I. Civil War Museum, 5501 E. Lake Rd., Shefield Lake, OH 44054, ☎ (440) 949-2790, .
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE), ☎ (216) 265-6000, .
- Lorain County Regional Airport, 44050 Russia Rd., Elyria, OH, ☎ (440) 323-4063, .
- Burke Lakefront Airport (BLK), ☎ (216) 781-6411.
There is no public transportation available via boat, how ever there are day site seeing cruises available on Lake Erie.
- SR 6 E/W 2 lane follows lake shore. Scenic.
- SR 2 E/W 4 lane.
- I 80/90 Turnpike E/W Indiana to Pennsylvania
- SR 58 2 lane N/S
- SR 53 2 lane N/S
- Greyhound, Elyria station: 365 Broad St., Elyria, OH, ☎ (800) 231-2222, .
- Amtrak, Nearest station: 410 E. River Rd., Elyria, OH, ☎ (800) USA-RAIL or (800) 872-7245, .
You may rent a car at the Cleveland Hopkins Airport if you are flying in. Taxis are available, but for long distances you will pay a pretty penny.
Enterprise and Hertz have local rental offices.
- Lorain County Transit, ☎ (440) 328-2490 or (440) 244-6261 ([email protected]), . Bus Service to/from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport to Elyria Park and Ride, Elyria, and Oberlin College, Oberlin..
- Lorain County Fair, ☎ (440) 647-2781, . August 24th-30th. The Lorain County Fair offers a fantastic family activity complete with rides, crafts, live music, and their famous demolition derby. You can also take a ride on on old fashion steam train for 15$
- Lake Erie Crushers Professional Baseball, 2009 Baseball Blvd., Avon, OH 44011, ☎ (440) 934-3636, . The Crushers are Lorain County's professional minor league baseball team. The Crushers are not affiliated with any major ball club, and instead, compete in the Frontier League, an association of twelve Midwestern baseball teams. In 2009, the state-of-the-art All Pro Freight Stadium was constructed.
- Speedway Slots and Hobbies, 46400 Telegraph Rd., Amherst, OH 4001, ☎ (440) 986-2298, . Speedway Slots and Hobbies has 1:24 scale slot car racing on a 100ft and a 160 ft road course track. No experience or equipment needed. Fun for the whole family.
- Jamie's Flea Market, 46388 Telegraph Rd., Amherst, OH 44001, ☎ (440) 986-4402, . Northeast Ohio's Largest Flea Market. Open year round on Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8 AM to 4 PM. 200 inside booths and 400 spaces for outdoor vendors.
- Main Street Oberlin, 13 South Main St., 2nd Floor, Oberlin, OH 44074, ☎ (440) 775-2423, . Fantastic art boutiques, clothing shops, restaurants, and specialty shops can all be found in Oberlin's historic downtown district.
- Main Street Wellington, P.O. Box 1, 118 West Herrick Ave., Wellington, OH 44090, ☎ (440) 647-3987, . Main Street in Wellington offers shopping opportunities and an array of historic homes dating as far back as the 1830s.
- Main Street Vermilion, 685 Main St., Vermilion, OH 44089, ☎ (440) 963-0772, . Located on the shores of Lake Erie, the historic harbour town of Vermilion is filled with specialty shops, restaurants, art galleries, and well-maintained captain's homes.
- Main Street Amherst, 225 Park Ave., Amherst, OH 44001, ☎ (440) 984-6709, . Atune with its designation as the Sandstone Center of the World, downtown Amherst has striking sandstone architecture, wonderful shopping opportunities and a tangible sense of the town's rich history.
- The Shoppes of Olde Avon Village, 36840 Detroit Rd., Avon, OH 44011, . The Shoppes of Olde Avon Village are a combination of modern specialty shops and restored, nineteenth century homes. Antiques, folk art, craft supplies, hobby needs, and much more can be found in the Olde Avon Village.
- Bonnie Brae Farms, 27717 Quarry Rd., Wellington, OH 44090, ☎ (440) 647-3232, . One hundred years old, Bonnie Brae Farms is a champion Elk farm in Ohio's gorgeous rolling countryside. On special days, tours of the farm are available.
- Miller's Apple Hill, 50549 State Route 113, Amherst, OH 44001, ☎ (440) 965-7077, . Come from mid-September to late October to pick apples in Miller's large and varied orchard, or stop by any time of the year to browse the bulk food store.
- Grobe Fruit Farm, 43875 Telegraph Rd., Elyria, OH 44035, ☎ (440) 332-8312. Open July through April, Grobe Fruit Farm offers fresh seasonal fruits, vegetables, and pastuerized cider.
- Golf. Lorain County is home to several excellent golf courses, ranging in price and difficulty level. Just a few options: Forest Hills Golf Course, 41971 Oberlin-Elyria Road, Elyria, OH 44035, (440) 323-2632 / Bob-O-Link Golf Course, 4141 Cneter Rd., Avon, OH 44011, (440) 934-6217.
- Oberlin College, 101 N. Professor St., Oberlin, OH 44074, ☎ (440) 775-8411, . Oberlin College is one of the nation's premier liberal arts colleges and conservatories. Year round the college plays host to a multitude of events, ranging from concerts, to theatre performances, to speakers, and festivals.
- Splash Zone, 95 West Hamilton St., Oberlin, OH 44074, ☎ (440) 774-5059, . Splash Zone is Lorain County's aquatic complex. With both indoor and outdoor facilities, Splash Zone is open year round. Slides, tot pools, a fitness room, and handicap accessibility make Splash zone a fun time for the whole family.
- FAVA-Firelands Association for the Visual Arts, 87 North Main St., Oberlin, OH 44074, ☎ (440) 775-8665, . Located in downtown Oberlin, the FAVA gallery hosts changing exhibits of high quality visual art year round.
- Ginko Gallery, 19 South Main St., Oberlin, OH 44074, ☎ (440) 774-3117, . Ginko Gallery is a working fiberart studio and gallery in downtown Oberlin, which features the work of over 250 individuals. Local artists can be seen in small studios within Ginko crafting their pieces.
- Stocker Arts Center, 1005 North Abbe Rd., Elyria, OH 44035, ☎ (440) 366-4040, . Lorain County Community College's Stocker Center is one of Ohio's top performance and visual arts venues. The center hosts music, theatre, and dance performances, while also featuring gallery exhibitions from students, community members, and professional artists. The center houses a 994-seat theatre, 219-seat lecture hall, smaller theatre, cinema, dance studio, rehearsal hall, and art gallery.
- Schoeple Garden, Just of State Route 113 on Market Street in Birmingham, OH, ☎ (440) 965-7237, . Schoeple Garden, located near the Vermilion River, is composed of 70 acres of beautiful botanical gardens and natural woodland. Guided tours are available.
- Eat' N Park, 1524 W. River Rd. N., Elyria, OH 44035, ☎ 440-324-3286, . Casual neighborhood restaurant featuring an Espresso Bar, cafe, an in-house bakery, seasonal specials, bountiful soup and salad bar, Eat'n Smart selections and a breakfast and fruit buffet.
- Garden Restaurant at Oberlin Inn, 7 N. Main St., Oberlin, OH 44074, ☎ 440-775-1111, . The chef prepares fine traditional American cuisine that has received recognition for dining excellence.
- Jackalope Lakeside, 301 Lakeside Ave., Lorain, OH, ☎ 440-288-2051, . Lorain's casual restaurant with a fine dining menu situated on the shores of Lake Erie overlooking the Lorain Lighthouse. Great steaks, seafood, pasta, and more.
- Mr. D's, 1825 Lorain Blvd., Elyria, OH 44035, ☎ (440) 324-5411. Located in Elyria's Holiday Inn, Mr. D's is open daily, offering Early Bird Dinner specials, Soup and Salad buffet, and Sunday Brunch.
- Moosehead Grill, 7660 Leavitt Rd., Amherst, OH 44001 (SR 58), ☎ 440-985-7429, . Come see and taste what everyone talking about. Cleveland Rib-Burn-Off award winning baby back ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket, certified Angus beef prime steaks, and fresh seafood. Plus our award winning pastas. Full service bar in a log cabin setting and so much more.
- Nemo Grille, 36976 Detroit Rd., Avon, OH 44011, ☎ (440) 934-0061, . Open everday for dinner, the Nemo Grille serves "globally influenced American cuisine in the historic 1850 Alten House."
- Rose Cafe, 1800 West Eire Ave., Lorain, OH 44052, ☎ (440) 233-7272, . Open Monday-Saturday for breakfast and lunch, and Sunday's for brunch, the Rose Cafe serves soup and sandwhich fare on gorgeous Lakeview beach.
- Smitty's Place, 368 E. Bridge St., Elyria, OH 44035, ☎ 440-323-9708, . Smitty's features a great lunch and dinner menu along with excellent happy hour and beverage selections. Smitty's provides a family friendly dining room and patio seating in warm weather as well as bar seating where the sports are always on.
- Sugarcreek Restaurant, 5196 Detroit Rd., Sheffield, OH 44035, ☎ (440) 934-5059, . Open daily, Sugarcreek Restaurant offers Amish-style cooking, friendly service, and a family dining atmosphere.
- The Spitzer Café at the Spitzer Conference Center, 1005 Abbe Rd., North Elyria, OH 44035, ☎ (440) 336-4100, . The Spitzer Café, located on the Lorain County Community College Campus, offers an upscale buffet experience.
- Strip, a Steakhouse, 36840 Detroit Rd., Avon, OH 44011, ☎ 440-934-9900, . Located in the Olde Avon Village in the historic Ewers Barn.
- The Tree House Gallery and Tea Room, 36840 Detroit Rd., Avon, OH 44011, ☎ (440) 934-1636, . Located in Avon's picturesque French Creek District, the Tea Room is open daily for lunch, serving sandwiches, wraps, and salads.
- John Christ Winery, 32421 Walker Road, ☎ (440) 933-9672, . John Christ Winery produces many award winning wines that are produced and bottled on the premises. Retail and tasting hours are daily. The bar is open Thursday through Sunday.
- Klingshirn Winery Inc., 33050 Webber Rd., Avon Lake, OH 44012, ☎ (440) 933-6666, . On a third generation family farm, Klingshirn Winery boasts an excellent selection of wines and wine accessories.
- Matus Winery, 15674 Gore Orphanage Rd., Wakeman, OH 44889, ☎ (440) 774-9463, . Enjoy award-winning wines and beautiful Ohio countryside on the 75- year-old Matus Farm.
- Paper Moon Vineyards, State Route 60 & Kneisel Road., Vermilion, OH 44089, ☎ (440) 967-2500, . Situated just west of the historic harbour town of Vermillion, Paper Moon Vinyards offers an extension selection of wines and live music on Saturday nights.
- Vermilion Valley Vineyards, 11005 Gore Orphanage Road, Wakeman, OH 44889 (1/2 mile south of SR 113), ☎ (440) 965-5202, . We are located at 11005 Gore Orphanage Road, South of State Route 113 in Henrietta Township, in the central coastal region of Northern Ohio. The location is easily accessible from Interstate 80 (Ohio Turnpike) and State Route 2.
Lorain County is a safe place to be. Theft can be an issue however. Make sure your car is locked, and all personal items within your possession.