BBC Television Centre, Shepherd's Bush
Hammersmith and Fullham is a borough in west London.
This is a large district of the inner west of London.
The most well known part of the district is perhaps Shepherd's Bush which has long been a first home in London to second and first generation immigrants. While this is less true today than in the past, the area undergoing gradual gentrification, beautification and development, there is still a substantial expatriate population (including a great many travelling Antipodeans).
Culturally, Shepherd's Bush is well known as the home of the BBC with the Television Centre located on Wood Lane in the White City sub-district. The Bush was also the fictional home of Steptoe & Son at Oil Drum Lane. The members of two influential British bands, The Who and the Sex Pistols grew up in Shepherd's Bush.
Elsewhere in the district, the residential riverside areas of Fulham have been hugely gentrified in the past 20 years and it is now sometimes difficult to determine where (previously much grander) Chelsea ends and Fulham begins. Fulham is also home to the EPL football team Fulham FC.
Tube stations servicing this district are:
- Shepherd's Bush (Central line)
- Shepherd's Bush Market (Circle, Hammersmith & City line)
- Wood Lane (Circle, Hammersmith & City line)
- White City (Central line)
- Hammersmith (Piccadily, District, Circle and Hammersmith & City lines)
- Goldhawk Road (Circle, Hammersmith & City line)
- Baron's Court (District line)
- West Kensington (District line)
- Fulham Broadway (District line)
- Parson's Green (District line)
- Putney Bridge (District line)
Bus 94 runs between Piccadilly Circus, via Oxford Street, Notting Hill, Holland Park, Shepherd's Bush and Chiswick to Acton Green (also a Night Bus service).
Buses 28, 74, 190, 391, 414, 430, and night buses N11, N22 and N28, all stop in Fulham.
Shepherds Bush Railway Station is served by three trains per hour between Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction, and one train per hour between Milton Keynes and East Croydon.
The A219 links Fulham with the A205 (South Circular) and with the A4.
The Gatehouse at Fulham Palace
- Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, Chelsea Harbour SW10 0XG, ☎ +44 20 7225 9101 ([email protected]), . Daily 9.30AM-5PM. The cutting edge of British design from Furniture to Fabrics and Lighting. Many showrooms soe of which actually sell their designs (at impossible prices). There is also a nice cafe here.
- Fulham Palace, Bishop's Avenue, SW6 6EA, ☎ + 44 20 7736 3233 ([email protected]), . Sa 11AM-2PM, Su 11.30AM-3.30PM, M&Tu noon-4PM. The former retreat of the Bishops of London now incorporates Bishop's Park and is a lovely green area in a heavily built part of London as well as home to some important historic buildings. Also a museum which charts the history of the palace back to the 11th century and a small cafe. Free.
- Hurlingham Park, (tube: Putney Bridge). A large open park which is mainly sports pitches. It does though have some lovely frontage right onto the Thames and makes for an lovely walk for that reason.
- Ravenscourt Park, Padderswick Rd (tube: Ravencourt Park), . An eight hectare park in Hammersmith with a long history. It is home to a lake, tea house, tennis courts, an all-weather football pitch, a bowling green, areas in which to just sit or play, a garden centre and some truly ancient trees, particularly cedars.
Cinema, Theatre and concerts
- Bush Theatre, Shepherd's Bush Green W12 (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ _44 20 8743 3584, . Home of the Alternative Theatre Company and dedicated to breaking new plays and new writers.
- Irish Culture Centre, Blacks Rd W6 9DT (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ +44 20 8563 8232 ([email protected]), . Regular performances of Irish music and Irish art exhibitions.
- MyVue Cinema, West 12 Shopping and Leisure Centre, Shepherd's Bush (tube: Shepherd's Bush), . Large chain multiplex showing all the big films in comfort and some style
- 02 Shepherd's Bush Empire, Shepherd's Bush Green W12 8TT (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 8354 3300 ([email protected].co.uk), . Built in 1903 and at the centre of the entertainment scene ever since, the Empire is one of London's premier live music venues, with an emphasis on contemporary rock and pop.
- BBC Television Centre Tours, Wood Lane W12 7RJ, ☎ +44 28 9053 5904, . Take the tour of BBC with a BBC Backstage Tour. £7-9.50.
- Fulham FC, Craven Cottage, Stevenage Road, SW6 6HH (Craven Cottage is about 10 min walk from both Putney Bridge and Parsons Green tube stations), ☎ +44 870 442 1222 ([email protected]), . The home of EPL football team Fulham.
- Queen's Park Rangers FC, Loftus Road Stadium, South Africa Road, W12 7PA (Loftus Road is about a 5 min walk from White City, Shepherd's Bush Market and Wood Lane tube stations, and is situated just north of the Uxbridge Road), . The home of Championship football team QPR, is considered more of a proper football experience when compared to Chelsea and Fulham, due to its passionate and warm atmosphere. £20-£30.
- Fulham Broadway, (Around the tube station of the same name). Shopping centre.
- Shepherds Bush Market, Uxbridge Rd (Tube: Goldhawk Road). Contains an astonishing array of goods with Afro-Caribbean, Middle Eastern and Indian cultural influences combining and vying for the shopper's attention.
- Westfield Shopping Centre, Ariel Way W12 7GF (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 3371 2300. The largest urban shopping mall in the whole of Europe. Vast array of stores, restaurants and a 14 screen cinema.
There are loads of great restaurants in Fulham along the high streets and also a distinct lack of any chain restaurants (don't worry, you can find all of these along Putney High St if you're desperate). It is often a good idea to just start walking along any of the main roads and you should have more choice of places to eat than you will ever need.
Uxbridge Road is noted for good-value and diverse restaurants.
- Abu Zaad, 29 Uxbridge Rd W12 8LH (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 8749 5107. M-Su 11AM-11PM. Authentic Syrian fare. Great value. Average price £10.
- King Solomon's, 300 Uxbridge Rd, ☎ +44 20 8749 1355. Try the falafel kebab and hummus -- delicious! The take away menu is well priced, falafel is only £3. £3-7.
- Raj of India, 46 Shepherd's Bush Road W6 7PJ (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 7602 9112. Very reasonable prices and good service at this popular Indian restaurant.
- Red Sea Restaurant, 382 Uxbridge Rd W12 7LL (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 8749 6888. All manner of Middle Eastern food with Eritrean and Ethiopian also thown in! All at very reasonable prices.
- The Blue Elephant, 3-6 Fulham Broadway (tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ +44 20 7385 6595 ([email protected]), . noon-2:30PM, 6:30PM-11:30PM. Exuberant Thai restaurant decorated to look like a rainforest, including an indoor waterfall and pond with fish. Food is generally good without being exceptional. You pay for the atmosphere. Starters £8-10, main £12-20.
- Fiesta Havana, 490-492 Fulham Rd SW6 5NH (tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ +44 20 7381 5005, . Latin themed restaurant with live DJs and staff who will give you Salsa classes in between courses! The set Tapas menu for £10 is very popular.
- Hell Pizza, 369 North End Rd SW6 1NY (tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ +44 845 666 6999, . A New Zealand pizza restaurant with a couple of locations in England. Gourmet pizzas (including gluten-free options) and ribs.
- Le Cinnamon, 158B Shepherd's Bush Rd W6 7PB (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ +44 20 7602 8899, . Odd name for an Indian restaurant but that's what it is and a very good one to boot. Contemporary takes on many classic Indian dishes.
- Miraggio, 510 Fulham Rd SW6 5NJ (tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ +44 20 7384 9774. Ever-popular family-owned Italian restaurant. BYOB no problem. Has an adjoining deli.
Shepherds Bush Green contains many large chain pubs. Uxbridge Road and Goldhawk Road have smaller, more laid-back bars and gastro-pubs. Fulham is full of highly rated, popular pubs some of them right by the Thames.
- The Dove, 19 Upper Mall W6 9TA (tube: Ravenscourt Park). This pretty 17th century riverside establishment may be London's smallest pub.
- Duke on the Green, 235 New King's Road SW6 4XG (tube: Parson's Green), ☎ +44 20 7736 2777 ([email protected]), . Very popular Young's pub at the Fulham end of the King's Rd.
- The Goldhawk, 122 Goldhawk Rd W12 8HH (tube: Goldhawk Road), ☎ +44 20 8576 6921. Popular local pub, good food and wine.
- The Morrison Bar and Lounge, 648 King's Rd SW6 2DU, ☎ +44 20 7610 9859 ([email protected]), . Smart bar on the King's Rd in the heart of Fulham. Has a popular resident guitarist.
- The Walkabout (Walkie), 56 Shepherd's Bush Green W12 8QE (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 8740 4339, . Largest concentration of Australians and Kiwi's in London. Expect lots of Antipodean sports.
- The White Horse, 1-3 Parson's Green SW6 4UL (tube: Parsons Green), ☎ +44 20 7736 2115, . Awarded best Pub of the years several times, it offers an extensive choice of local and imported beers, both draught and bottled. It also serves restaurant grade meals. Interesting particularity, each one of them is matched with a beer. Somewhat expensive, but it is a must.
Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith are well known as the home of many discount hotels (some of low quality, unfortunately) and B&Bs. With the gradual gentrification of the area, more comfortable and expensive options are appearing.
- Abbey Hotel, 23 Wood Lane W12 7DP (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 8749 8780 ([email protected]), . Budget hotel close to the BBC Television Centre. Discounts for long stays. £69.
- Adria Hotel, 44 Glenthorne Rd W6 0LS (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ +44 20 8742 6674, . A four generation family run hotel with excellent transport connections and good value for money. Regularly refurbished. £69.
- Grantly Hotel, 50 Shepherds Bush Green W12 8PS (tube: Goldhawk Road), ☎ +44 20 8743 4345 ([email protected]). No-frills budget hotel in an converted Edwardian house. Single, Double and Family rooms available. £67.
- Hotel Sergul, 87 Shepherds Bush Rd W6 7LR (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ +44 20 7603 5400 ([email protected]), . Affordable smart hotel with excellent links to West End and close to Olympia and Earls Court exhibition centre. £40.
- Jim's Guest House, 26 Aldine St W12 8AN (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 8743 0456 ([email protected]), . Good value bed and breakfast. Family suite available. From £79.
- Plaza Hotel, 53 Shepherds Bush Rd W6 7LU (tube: Goldhawk Road), ☎ +44 20 7603 2667, . Actually three hotels all run by the same company - The Plaza, The Rex and The Acropolis. All similar standard and nearby to each other. From about £40.
- Royal Guest House, 47 Shepherds Bush Rd W6 7LU (tube: Goldhawk Road), ☎ +44 20 7603 4528 ([email protected]), . Very cheap guesthouse within walking distance of Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith. Triple rooms available. From £45.
- Jurys Inn Chelsea Hotel, Imperial Rd, Imperial Wharf SW6 2GA, ☎ +44 20 7411 2200, . Affordable hotel of one of the better hotel chains. All rooms are ensuite and large by London standards. From £79.
- La Reserve, 422-428 Fulham Rd SW6 1DU (tube: Fulham Broadway), ☎ +44 20 7385 8561, . Small hotel with 43 rooms in the extreme south-east of the district bodering Chelsea. £95.
- Novotel London West, 1 Shortlands, Hammersmith W6 8DR (tube: Hammersmith), ☎ +44 20 8741 1555, . Very large business-class hotel. The rooms are reasonably priced with basic amenities in each room. Wireless internet available, or basic internet through the room's television. English breakfast available at extra charge. Restaurant/Bar/Lounge, massage center, concierge, cash machine, shoe shine machine, tourist information desk, porter, dry cleaning/ironing available, currency exchange, pets allowed with deposit. From about £130.
- Premier Inn, 3 Putney Bridge Approach SW6 3JD (tube Putney Bridge), ☎ +44 870 238 3302, . In the extreme south of the district close to the Thames From £90.
- K-West, Richmond Way (tube: Shepherd's Bush), ☎ +44 20 8743 3206, . Modern, fashionable hotel with a day spa. From around £150.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!