|Host City for
|London 2012 Olympics
| Olympic Stadium
| Basketball Arena
| Handball Arena
| Water Polo Arena
Olympics  · London2012 
East London is the outer eastern part of London , north of the River Thames.
Many outer areas of East London was once part of the county of Essex. Essex is sometimes used as part of the postal address for these areas.
East London consists of the following boroughs:
- Barking and Dagenham  — the borough includes:
- Havering  — the borough includes:
- Newham  — the borough includes:
- Stratford - Location of the London 2012 Olympic Games. (Note: this is not Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire, the birthplace of Shakespeare.)
- East Ham
- West Ham
- Redbridge  — the borough includes:
- Waltham Forest  — the borough includes:
- Walthamstow - This town was made famous by a teen pop band called E-17 (the postcode of the area) who came from here and had a number of hits. Soak up the multicultural atmosphere.
- Victoria Line (Light Blue) to Walthamstow.
- Central Line (Red) to Woodford or Hainault.
- Hammersmith and City Line (Pink) to Barking.
- District Line (Green) to Upminster.
- Jubilee Line (Silver) to Stratford.
- DLR to Canning Town then branches to Beckton, or London City Airport and Woolwich.
- From Liverpool Street to Chingford or Ilford, Romford and Upminster.
- From Fenchurch Street to Barking then Upminster or Rainham.
- From Stansted Airport, Ipswich, Colchester and Norwich to Stratford.
- The Overground line (Orange) is useful for getting across the district from Barking to Blackhorse Road.
As in the rest of London there are plenty of Cab Firms .
- Eping Forest, (tube: Central Line), ☎ +44 (0)20 85080028 ([email protected]), . Dawn-dusk. 19 km (12 mi) long in East London and Essex. Free.
- Walthamstow Village, .
- The William Morris Gallery, .
- The Central Library, Winston Way. Interesting structure from an architectural point of view. Unfortunately it is also the locale of choice for the native rude-boys to hang out, alas this is not due to the educational value of the institution.
Bicycle along the River Lea or Epping Forest.</do>
Valentines Park is a pleasant green area, Essex County Cricket team used to play on the pitch in the western side of the park.
- Selbourne Walk, (tube: Walthamstow Central; just over the road). Walthamstow's shopping mall, with the usual selection of shopping mall type shops.
- Walthamstow High Street market. early-approximately 5:30PM. All manner of items may be purchased here, an example of the amazing bargains to be found is a carrier bag full of bananas for £1.
- The Exchange Shopping Centre. Was one of the largest American style malls when it was constructed in the early 1990s. Although now it has an extensive array of shops now it can only really be considered a bog standard shopping centre. The town centre itself has most high street chain shops.
There are a number of cafés and restaurants down the high street.
- Kebabish, Hoe St. Does a nice kebab and also tasty Indian food.
- The Ferry Boat Inn, (tube: Blackhorse Rd). A quaint country style pub in a lovely river side setting.
- The Goose, (tube: Walthamstow Central, opposite).
Walthamstow does not have much of a clubbing scene, though there is:
- The Standard Music Venue, (tube: Blackhorse Rd, opposite). Has rock bands playing most nights of the week, and has a nightclub on Friday nights.
- Ibis Hotel Stratford, 1A Romford Rd, Stratford E15 4LJ (tube: Stratford), ☎ +44 208 5363700, . 104 room hotel with the usual identikit, Ibis set-up. From about £50.
- Newham Hotel, 349-353 Romford Rd, Forest Gate, E7 8AA (tube: Forest Gate), ☎ +44 20 8534 8400 ([email protected]), . Budget hotel in the Forest Gate area of Newham From £44.
- Viking Hotel, 162 Romford Rd, Stratford (tube: Stratford).
- Devonshire Hotel • 94 Station Lane, Hornchurch, North-East London, Essex RM12 6LX (tube: Hornchurch), ☎ +44 (0) 1708 440088 ([email protected]). Opened in 2011, it is a family-run boutique hotel with free wi-fi and secure parking. Some rooms have been adapted to allow for easier access. Breakfast & homemade snacks available.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!