|(9 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)|
| || |
| || |
=== Spas ===
=== Spas ===
Revision as of 13:37, 10 February 2013
Livorno is in Tuscany.
Livorno is on the Tyrrhenian sea in Italy. It is the third-largest port on the western coast.
Pisa airport (code: PSA) Galileo Galilei.
Main train station is Livorno Centrale. Take bus number 1 to go to town center and then to the port in about 20 minutes.
From Pisa, Piombino, Florence and other cities.
Direct ferry routes exist to
Porto Vechio. It is best to book early to avoid over booking.
Many cruise ships stop here for at least a full day to allow guests to tour Florence and/or Pisa. Guests not taking cruise ship arranged tours can take a shuttle (supplied by the port) to the the downtown area. It offers a decent shopping experience, but not compared to Florence. A further 10-20 minute walk (or another bus ride) gets you to a train station. There you can take frequent departures for either Pisa or Florence. Many experts advise seeing Florence or Pisa on a one-day port visit by cruise ship. Though some tours claim to cover both, you'll get no more than a rushed look at a few icons...and if you're too early or late for any, it may well be closed.
If hoping for maximum time in Florence...
- Take an early cab (perhaps shared with another couple) from your ship to and from the Livorno train station.
- At the station, ask for a train that goes to the Firenze Santa Maria Novella. Locals will happily help.
Bus number 1 is a shuttle from train station to the port and vice-versa. Ticket for one hour of travel is 1,00 Euros, daily ticket is 3,20 Euros. For self-reliant cruise passengers, this is part of the most economical way to reach trains to Pisa and Florence.
- Quattro Mori
- Museo Civico Giovanni Fattori 
- Old English Cemetery (Oldest in Italy, open on reservation). For info call Misericordia: 0586/897324 or write an email to  Association Livorno delle Nazioni.
- Acquario Comunale "D. Cestoni"  (closed: work in progress)
- Tuscan islands 
- Other museums: 
- Funicolare di Montenero  one of the few cable railways still in service (another one is in Montecatini Terme near Pistoia.
- The Venice Neighborhood ( Quartiere La Venezia In Italian language ). The Venice Neighborhood ( "La Venezia" in Italian ). The name of this nighborhood is Venice cause of is like or is similar to the city of Venice . It's surrounded by canals and it's one of the oldest and most beautiful part of the city . In this area , especially in Summer , you can stop at the tables of some locals to enjoy a beer or a delicous typical food . In this area there is also the old " San marco's Theatre in which the Italian Communist Party was born in 1921 . You can see a great prospective of the neighborhood from the beautiful square " Piazza della Repubblica " , the second square/bridge biggest of Europe. The big Dome of the " Chiesa dei Dominicani " ( Dominican Church ) marks the center of Venice Neighborhood . Follow the dome to get inside from Piazza della Repubblica and enjoy walking close to the channels , in the beautiful and elegant " Via Borra " and inside all the little street of this beautiful neighborhood
- San Giovanni's spa : the San Giovanni Spa, overlooking the Gulf of Portoferraio, stands on an area of 5 hectares of marshland which yields a silt with high therapeutic potential, making this spa establishment the only Thalassotherapy centre in the Western Mediterranean.
- Venturina's spa : the thermal waters Venturina were known by the Etruscans and Romans, hence the name "Aquae Populoniae. Flow in 45 ° Celsius throughout the year, with constant flow, and are classified as calcium-magnesium-sulphate-bicarbonate-alkalines.
- Riso Nero - Black Rice -(Risotto darkened with squid ink)
- Trattoria Sottomarino, Via dei Terrazzini 48/50 - ph. +39 0586 887025 - Close to Piazza della Repubblica and Fortezza Nuova (Venezia District). Fish cuisine, don't miss the gorgeous cacciucco - Closed on MO and TU.
- Cantina Senese , Borgo Cappuccini 95 - ph. +39 0586 211604 - famous for Caccuccio and Black Rice
"Ponce alla livornese" is optimal to finish a meal (warm drink with coffee and rum).
- Hotel Hermitage, Via dei Melograni 13 57020, Marina di Bibbona, Tel. +39.0586.600218 Fax +39.0586.600760. . 4-star modern and comfortable Hotel Hermitage in Marina di Bibbona near the splendid Etruscan coast
Livorno is a good starting point and base for a tour of Tuscany. You can reach Pisa in half an hour, Lucca and Florence in somewhat over an hour. (See note under "Get in" "By Boat" above). In a well-organized day you can tour from a hotel in Livorno you might sample Chianti-side, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano, Siena and Volterra and be back for dinner. However, return before by expected time for a cruise ship departure could be quite problematic.