Fax +358 (0)16 641 568
Fax +358 (0)16 641 568
| || |
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 21:18, 8 January 2013
Levi  is one of the largest winter sport resorts in Finland. It is in the Kittilä municipality in Finnish Lapland. Levi is very popular place among young people, especially those living in rural areas in Lapland, and has significant nightlife.
Kittilä airport (IATA: KTT, ICAO: EFKT)  is some ten kilometers south from Levi. Airport has direct connections to Helsinki by Finnair and (during season) Blue1 and to Riga by Air Baltic. Busses coming from south travel via airport to Levi. You may also use taxi.
Overnight trains operate from Helsinki and Turku to Rovaniemi and Kolari (getting from Turku to Kolari require change in Tampere). From these you have to take bus. Trip takes 2:30 hours from Rovaniemi and 1:15 hours from Kolari.
Busses operate from Helsinki to Levi requiring change in Rovaniemi. Trip takes over 16 hours!
Levi has internal bus traffic. In the Levi center you may easily walk or ski around. For longer trips to the forests, hire a snowmobile. Although a driving licence is not required it's illegal to drive snowmobile if you're under 15 years old or drunk.
A lot to see and to do like snowmobile safaries, husky safaries, reindeer rides.
Winter sports. There are 230 kilometers of skiing tracks and 886 kilometers of snowmobile routes. For downhill skiing Levi has 45 pistes longest piste being 2500 meters long and maximum vertical drop is over 300 meters. Piste information is available at Levi.fi .
Most of the tour operators have summer activities available too.
Fintravel Levi' (Tour operator), Leviraitti 2, ☎ +358 403 447 755 ([email protected], fax: +358 403 447 771), .
Hotel Levitunturi  has a spa.
- Wolverine Fell Wilderness and Nature (Kätkätunturin Erä ja Luonto), Kätkäjärventie 400, Levi, ☎ +358 468 101 400, . A number of summer as well as winter activities are on offer. Reindeer safaris, snowshoeing, ice fishing, fox snare hunting, or rounding up of reindeer are available in winter, while fishing trips, marking reindeer calves, bog hikes, cycling, sauna evenings and goose hunting in summer. A restaurant is also available there, where you can enjoy home-style delicacies, such as reindeer casserole or salmon soup in a Lappish hut.
- Levi Huskypark (Levin Huskypuisto), Inarintie, Sokkapora, Köngäs, ☎ +358 40 5706572, . 11-16. Husky safaris in winter, guided visits in summer. Siberian huskies, wolves, reindeer, Arctic foxes, small dogs, history about huskies and sled dog races. 6 eur.
- Shopporo, Hiihtäjänkuja 10 (This shop is located in the Shopping gallery at Levi center.), ☎ +358(0)40 587 8234, . 10-18. Fashionable clothes for women, men and children.
- Shopporo, Hiihtäjänkuja 10, ☎ +358(0)40 587 8234, . Fashionable clothes and accessories for women, men and children.
Local restaurants offer good variety of local delicacies. Especially worth of trying are reindeer (poro) in all its forms, willow grouse (riekko) and several fishes such as salmon (lohi) arctic char (nieriä) and common whitefish (siika). These are usually fried or smoked and eaten with mashed potatoes.
In addition to local specialities also hamburgers, pizzas and kebabs are available.
- Luvattumaa, ☎ +358 40 7400 925, . IceGallery: Snowcastle with ice chapel, snowhotel and icebar Natural Spa: Underground sauna and ice sauna with warm and cold baths outdoors Teepee restaurant: Cosy restaurant with delicious Lappish food.
- Crazy Reindeer (Hullu Poro Oy), Rakkavaarantie 5, 99130 Levi, ☎ +358 16 6510100, . Hullu Poro Restaurants are open 24 hours.
- Shopporo, Hiihtäjänkuja 10 (In the heart of Levi center), ☎ +358(0)40 587 8234, . Fashionable clothes for women, men and children.
Being one of the largest resorts in Finland one could think there will be no problem to get bed in Levi. However, during the holiday season it may appear surprisingly difficult to find one! Most popular times are around christmas and New Year, Easter and Finnish winter holiday held during three weeks period in March. Right after the New Year, when local people get back to work, skiing resorts get crowded with Russian tourists. There are (incredible) 20,000 beds available making Levi actually one of the largest human concentrations in Lapland. Accommodation alternatives vary from camping to luxurious cottages and spa hotel.
Hotelli Hullu Poro  tel. +358 (16) 6510 100
Hotelli K5 Levi  Kätkänrannantie 2 99130 Sirkka
tel. +358 (16) 639 1100
- Spa Hotel Levitunturi (Kylpylähotelli Levitunturi), Levintie 1590, 99130 LEVI, ☎ +358 (16) 646 301, .
- Levi Central Booking Office (Levin Keskusvaraamo), Myllyjoentie 2, 99130 Levi, ☎ +358 16 639 3300, . Over 900 apartments and a large number of hotel rooms.
- Fell Trek, Muoniontie 3124 (040), ☎ 5098210, . Next to the fell chain of Pallas-Yllästunturi on the shores of Jerisjärvi lake. Affordable accommodation in rooms for 1-2 persons, and cottages. In Rauhala one can also make guided day- and week long tours in summer hiking or with canoes and bikes. In winter time also ski tours, snow shoe tours and other winter activities.
- Hotel Hullu Poro, Rakkavaarantie 3 (Hotel Hullu Poro is located in the heart of Levi village, only 15 kilometres away from Kittilä airport.), ☎ +358(0)16 6510 500, . checkin: 16:00; checkout: 11:00. Hotel Hullu Poro (Crazy Reindeer) is situated in the Finnish Lapland in the centre of Levi ski resort. Crazy Reindeer, a holiday legend for more than twenty years already! Yet, we still provide you with something new and unforgettable each time you pay us a visit. More information from: Levi Center Hullu Poro Rakkavaarantie 5, 99130 LEVI, FINLAND Tel. +358 (0)16 6510 100 Fax +358 (0)16 641 568 E-mail: [email protected] 62.
- Oliver's Irish bar, Levi. In a central location in Levi, with different beers, stout and ale on tap. As well as a large selection of spirits. There is a friendly, local atmosphere and sports are played on television daily. There is also a pool table and occasional live music.