| minorl1=[[Os i Hordaland|Os]]
| minorl1=[[Os i Hordaland|Os]]
| || |
Revision as of 21:50, 1 January 2009
Leirvik is a town in the county of Hordaland in Norway. It is located on the island of Stord in the municipality of the same name (which only covers the southern half of the island). Confusingly, Stord municipality as a whole has town status, but Leirvik is the only town-like settlement in the municipality. Leirvik had a population of about 11,342 in 2008. It is the second largest town in Hordaland county.
From Bergen, follow European route E39 south through Os. Take the ferry from Os to Stord (Fitjar municipality). From the ferry terminus, continue following the road south until you reach Leirvik, about 28 km to the south.
From Stavanger, follow E39 north. From Haugesund, drive north on FV 47 then continue on E39.
From Oslo, drive to Bergen, then follow the instructions above.
Stord Airport, Sørstokken is located not too far from Leirvik, and has flights to Oslo and Århus in Denmark. Alternatively, Bergen Airport, Flesland and Stavanger Airport, Sola are both within a 2.5 hour drive. Haugesund Airport, Karmøy is even closer, and has scheduled flights to London-Stansted (Ryanair), Bremen (Ryanair), Bergen (SAS), Oslo (SAS) and Gdansk (Centralwings), as well as a few charter flights.
- Sunnhordland Folk Museum, Leirvik (On the hilltop behind Leirvik town center), ☎ 53413899, . Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 10:00-15:30; Wed, Sun: 16:00-19:00; Sat, 10:00-13:00. Permanent agricultural, forestry and fishery history exhibitions, exhibition of life in prehistoric times, and a sculpture collection.
- Stord Maritime Museum, Leirvik (At the docks), ☎ 53413988, . Tue-Sat: 11:00-14:00. Exhibitions of the maritime history of the region. Open June 23 - August 6. Adults: NOK 30, Children (under 15): free.
- Hystadmarkjo, (North of Leirvik town centre). A nature reserve near Leirvik with a 2 km long hiking path. The area has many cultural and historic monuments, including a cholera graveyard from the 19th century and burial mounds from the Bronze Age. Bathing possibilities.
- Fengselet Mat og Vinkjellar, Jens Hystadveg 14 5417 Stord, ☎ 53417760, . Tue-Sat 18:00-24:00. Kitchen closes at 22:00. Closed Mon and Sun. A restaurant in an old, restored prison building in the center of Leirvik. Building also contains a wine cellar.
- Grand Hotell, Leirvik, ☎ 53409600, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12PM. Conference hotel in the center of Leirvik. Newly renovated. Spa and wifi. 1195 for a standard single room; 1395 for a standard double room.
- Stord Hotell, Leirvik, ☎ 53402500, . Modern conference hotell. Restaurant, swimming pool, sauna, etc. Mid-range prices.
There are lots of hiking possibilities on Stord and elsewhere in the region. Contact Bergen Hiking Association for more information. A map of the hiking paths on Stord can be bought in the book stores on the island.
- Bergen Hiking Association (Bergen Turlag), Tverrgaten 4 5017 Bergen (From the front entrance of the railway station, walk straight ahead halfway through Marken), ☎ +47 55335810 ([email protected], fax: +47 55335829), . Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri: 10:00-16:00; Thu 10:00-18:00; Sat 10:00-14:00.