Lecco is a beautiful town (città bella) in the Northern Italian region Lombardy, on the lake surrounded by huge mountains. It lies at the end of the south-eastern branch of Lake Como (the branch named Lake of Lecco). The Prealps rise to the north and east, cut through by the Valsassina of which Lecco marks the southern end.
- Astronomical Observatory in Merate - the observatory was crated in the 1920s when the light from Milan made it impossible to use the existing observational site there. Today it is a leader in Earthbound X-ray observation for ESA.
- Seafood at Lake Como - the bay at this end of the lake is also called Lake Lecco, but is just as full of tasty fish on either end. Be sure to take at least one meal of seafood while you’re there.
- Vista of Monte Barro - take the hike up to this plain just outside the capital city and get an incredible view of the lake and valley below, including the hills rising above where the river comes out.
Climb on the top or walk on the slopes of one of the many mountains that surround the city.
- Resegone is easily reached from the city centre taking a bus(in front of the train station) to the funicular for the "Piani di Bobbio".
- Another popular mountain is the Grignetta, renown between rock climbers for the variety and beauty of its climbing routes.
- Outlet Store Shopping by the Lake - several towns on Lake Como have outlet stores that carry discounted versions of what one finds in the shops of nearby Milan.