Lauterbrunnen is a very small village and easy to get around by walking.
- Staubbach Falls:Can be seen from the center of town.
- Trümmelbach Falls: 3 km behind Lauterbrunnen are the famous Trümmelbach glacier water falls . Bus from Lauterbrunnen for Sfr3. Open April-November (exact dates are seasonal, best to ring to check if they are open if you are planning to visit during the fringe months) Entrance fee Sfr12 (US dollars, pounds, and euros accepted).
The Lauterbrunnen area is famous for mountainbiking. Rent an Interlaken bike (for eg, there's a rental store at the West station) and ride to the end of the valley the place called Stechelberg. For sFR.20.- take your bike in the gondula up to Mürren. From Mürren follow the red bike trail signs to Winteregg. It is an easy trail for everybody, not much up hill. From Winteregg enjoy a fast downhill to Isenfluh or back to Lauterbrunnen. This tour can also easy be started in Interlaken: it is only 45 minutes more biking, and the round trip from Interlaken needs 3-5 hours. Get your great quality bike maps and all information at rental places in Interlaken. This can also be done in the other direction. Rent a bike in Lauterbrunnen (two options, the bike shop opens at 900 and has 2h, 4h, 8h options (20/28/38 CHF). You can then either follow the Lauterbrunnan loop bike route 450 which climbs up to Grütschalp or take the cable car with your MTB (6CHF June 2019 plus 3.5 for the bike, bike fee inconsistently charged but we had to put it in the luggage tray, in quiet times it may be possible to take the bike on board. Be sure to tell them you are going only to Grütschalp so you are not charged the whole fare to Mürren as the cable car connects with the train to Mürren). Then you cycle along the ridge via Winteregg to Mürren and descend to Grimmelwald. This is spectacular, easy and requires moderate fitness but be warned, after Gimmelwald the descent to the valley floor has some rather aggressive single track of lose shale. Be prepared to walk your bike a good distance (30 min or so) or you can take the cable car to Stechelberg to avoid this (6 CHF, inconsistently charged). There is a nice restaurant in Stechelberg for a rest before the flat ride through the valley back to Lauterbrunnan. You will also pass Trummelbach Falls on the east side of the valley.
- Hike up to Wengwald by walking up the trail starting beside the townhall. Cross the river and follow the signs to Wengen until you see a sign pointing towards Wengwald. Hike up this way until you get great views of the Lauterbrunnen valley. Takes only 1.5-2 hours if going slowly.
Swiss chocolate, made fresh in the shops as you sit and drink coffee.
- Hotel Oberland has great food at reasonable prices for Switzerland. Try the Rosti, a traditionally Swiss dish.
- Sternen Valley Hostel , Lauterbrunnen. Tel & fax: +41 33 855 20 08, [email protected]. Cheap, homely and the hosts are sound. One place you won't want to leave & somewhere you recommend to travellers, friends and family. Set in the heart of the Lauterbrunnen Valley, just up the road from the train station and minutes from Staubbach Falls, you feel your in a fairy tale land where you need to blink several times just to allow your brain to accept that your really there. Dorm: chf 25 (bargain).
- Zum Berggeist, Im Feld, Postfach 22, Lauterbrunnen.
- Hotel Crystal , Lauterbrunnen. Tel: +41 33 856 90 90, [email protected].
- Swiss Alpine Retreat, Luterbach 10, . Beautiful self catering apartments ideal for families and friends edit
- Beyul Apartments ([email protected]), Luterbach 10, ☎ +41795438841, . Beautiful self catering apartments, with 2 or 3 bedrooms. Ideal for families and friends edit