Las TerrenasEarth : North America : Caribbean : Hispaniola : Dominican Republic : Eastern Cibao : Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas is a city in Samaná Province on the northeast coast of the Dominican Republic.
Las Terrenas is a small town with many small hotels. There are no resorts. Many foreigners live in and around the town. Many are French or Italian but there are nationals of most European countries, Canada, USA, and some Latin American countries as well. The atmosphere is easy going. Many residents of the capital - local and foreign - spend their weekends in Las Terrenas. The town is quite clean and safe and has good medical services. Shops and supermarkets are well supplied with local and imported foods. Of course there are beautiful beaches.
International flights go directly to Samana International Airport, El Catey (AZS). At 20 minutes by car it is the closest airport to Las Terrenas, but most visitors fly into Santo Domingo Airport, Las Americas (SDQ), from where it takes about 2 hours by car. El Catey is served by a few airlines from Canada, USA and occasionally from Europe.
Buses You can take express buses or popular busses (called guagua) to Las Terrenas.
Taxis Or you can take a taxi to Las Terrenas.
Other Options You can travel by private plane to El Catey from any other airport in the country.
Motorconchos or motortaxis For short local trips you may take a motorcycle 'taxi' (called motoconcho).
Guagua or collective taxis or pickup truck You can catch a guagua or pickup for instance to go to the waterfall in El Limon or to the town of Samana.
Scooters or quads You can rent a scooter or a quad.
- Diving - There are some nice divesites around Las Terrenas with healthy coral reefs. Most of them can be reached by boat. The shallower divesites are also good places for snorkelling. It is possible to dive here all year round. The predominant species of corals are brain corals, seafans, sea rods. There is great profusion of surgeonfish and tangs, trumpetfish, stingrays, parrotfish and trumpetfish here.
Name of the divesites Balena Rock The Holes Piedra Marcel Coson Reef 1 & 2 Creole Reef Portillo Wreck
- Elugar (E lugar), Calle Principal - Frente (in front of) Plaza Milano - Las Terrenas, ☎ 809-886-2645 & 829-276-1668. 12-2pm Day, 8-11:30pm Night, 7pm-2am Cocktails. $40-$50+ PP. edit
- Coson Beach Villa (Coson Playa), 1 Avenida Emilio Prudhomme #1 | Samaná, Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic, . Bay of Coson, 7 kilometres from Las Terrenas edit
- *Viva Wyndham Samana (Bahia de Coson), Playa Bonita, ☎ 809-240-5050, . Located on the northeast coast of the Dominican Republic. Closed for refurbishing until December 2009 edit
- Casa Grande Beach Hotel, Playa Bonita, ☎ (00 1809) 240.63.49, . Simple rooms. Really good food. Pleasant environment. edit
- Casas del Mar Neptunia, 1 Avenida Emilio Prudhomme #1 | Samaná, Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic, . Located about 20m to the beach, in the less touristic part of the town. Rooms are clean, spacious, and functional. The estate is a beautiful oasis of plants and flowers. The staff is nice and helpful. Safes for storage of valuable items are available in the rooms free of cost. edit
- Nicki's Art & Surf Hostel, (Boulevard Turistico del Atlantico, Cano Seco, In front of a school called Colegio Alianza), ☎ 809-232-8844, . Nicki's Art & Surf Hostel is a fun & inspiring place to be. We're a zany hostel that offer lots of entertainment options in a friendly laid back environment. We host a variety of events such as dinner parties, art exhibits, club crawls, movie nights, and also offer games such as ping pong & darts. We love to share the best hidden secrets of Las Terrenas, including some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and know that you will leave with a positive, memorable experience! $5-$26. edit
- Hotel Leon, around 4 km to the beach, . Cheap hotel, but located far from the beach. Cheap sleeping option for the people having their own transport.Rooms for around 500 pesos, the longer you stay, the less you pay. 11. edit