|(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)|
Revision as of 07:10, 26 September 2012
Lake Bracciano (Lago di Bracciano) is a lake in the Italian region of Lazio, 32 km northwest of Rome. It has a perimeter of approximately 32 km. Three towns border the lake, Bracciano, Anguillara Sabazia and Trevignano Romano.
View of Anguillara on Lake Bracciano
The lake is a popular location for Romans at weekends, particularly during the summer when the area can get extremely crowded. It serves as a drinking water reservoir for Rome and the use of motorboats is forbidden. This makes Bracciano one of the cleanest lakes of Italy. Swimming, sailing and other watersports are permitted.
The towns of Anguillara and Bracciano can be reached by train from Ostiense railway station in Rome. By car, take Rome’s ring road (the GRA) to the Cassia bis exit and follow the signs to the lake. Alternatively, you can take the coastal Autostrada in the direction of Civitavecchia, leaving it at Cerveteri and following signs to Bracciano.
- Bracciano is a small town mainly famous for a well-preserved 15th Century castle (Castello Odescalchi), which has hosted a number of events, most famously the wedding of actors Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes on 18 November 2006. 
- Anguillara Sabazia is built on a small cape that sticks out into the lake. Three kilometres east of the town lies the small Lake Martignano. This is not accessible by car and requires a short walk from the parking area. Unlike Lake Bracciano it is very undeveloped.
- Trevignano Romano is on the north side of the lake. It has some pleasant lakeside walks and is the lake’s main sailing center.
A seaplane at the Italian Air Force museum
- Italian Air Force Museum (Museo Storico Aeronautica Militare), Vigna Di Valle (on the southernmost point of the lake between Bracciano and Anguillara), ☎ +390699887509 ([email protected]), . 09.30-16.30 in winter and 09.30-17.30 in summer. Closed on Mondays. A superb collection of planes housed in the hangars of Italy's first seaplane base. Exhibits range from the pioneers of flight and WWI fighters up to Italian military planes of the present day. This is one of the largest collections of its type in the world and is really well displayed. Free of charge.
- Chalet del Lago. Perfect setting right on the lake with great views of Anguillara. Has been used as a set by several directors, including Fellini. Good wine list. (Just before Anguillara as you approach from Bracciano) 
The Etruscan tombs of Cerveteri are just 20 minutes from Bracciano to the southwest. Closer, but along a winding road to the northeast, leaving the lake at Trevignano, is Sutri, which has an interesting Roman amphitheatre carved out of rock.