For the La Unión province of El Salvador, see La Unión Department, El Salvador.
La Union is a province in the Ilocos Region of the Philippines.
- Basic Ridge, Located 9 kilometers northeast of San Fernando town proper through the Imperial Army in the province. The Ridge constituted the East Flank of the 121st Infantry of the United States Armed Forces in the Philippines, Northern Luzon (USAFIP NL) during the Liberation in 1945
This 101 hectares of base land located at the end of Poro Point in San Fernando was acquired in 1903 for the United States Cavalry.
It was the home of the 848th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron which provided logistics and administrative support to other radar detachments under its chain of command.
Formally turned-over by the United States to the Republic of the Philippines on September 16, 1991, the Bases conversion Development Authority is overseeing the plans for the conversion of the area into a prime tourism and industrial estate.
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Built as a tribute to the heroism of the soldiers who fought during the last World War, the marker stands at the junction leading to the Poro Point.
- Battle of San Fernando Marker. Situated at the northwestern portion of the Town Plaza, inscribed is an account of how the Battle was started and won ebabling the establishment of the United States Army Base Base M at Poro Point which was eventually used as a build up area for the projected invasion of Japan. San Fernando is 264 kilometers north of Manila.
- Luna Watchtower. This rotund structure built along the shore in Luna during the Pre-Spanish time was used as look-out point for impending attacks by pirates.
- Baroro Bridge Marker. The siege of Baroro in Bacnotan started the operation to liberate San Fernando. This marked the first victory of the Luzon Guerrillas over a Japanese armed unit before the American Liberation forces landed on Luzon. The marker stands at the southern approach of the briedge approximately 14 kilometers north of San Fernando.
- USAFIP, NL Military Shrine and Park. Camp Spencer, the general headquarters of the USAFIP, NL located along Darigayos Cove in Luna is reserved as a Military Shrine and Park by virtue of Proclamation 590 signed by President Fidel V. Ramos on June 1, 1995. Darigayos is approximately 34.2 kilometers north of San Fernando accessible through the Bitalag Junction in Bacnotan or through Balaoan
Ilocano is the common dialect.
The residents of the coastal barangay of Sto. Tomas and Rosario also speak Pangasinense while the cultural communities in the towns bordering the Cordillera speak Ibaloi or Kankanacy. English and Filipino remain as basic tools of instruction in schools.
Visit also my town,SAN JUAN LA UNION,,particularly at URBIZTONDO where in big WAVES are soaring...They mark it as the "The Surfing area of the North..COME AND ENJOY AND LOVE MY PLACE.....YOR "LAKAY" AICRAG
Visit http://www.philippineonlinedirectory.com/province/launion/ for a list of hotels, resorts, places to eat, drink and see in La Union. The largest online directory and yellow pages of La Union businesses, products and services.