La Paz (department, Bolivia)Earth : South America : Bolivia : Altiplano (Bolivia) : La Paz (department, Bolivia)
The La Paz Department is situated on the Altiplano at the western border of Bolivia, sharing Lake Titicaca with Peru. It contains the mighty mountain range of Cordillera Real with many popular treks and peaks for climbing. Northeast of the Cordillera Real are the Yungas, the steep eastern slopes of the Andes that make the transition to the Amazon basin. It also contains the city of La Paz, the administrative capital of the country.
- La Paz - the capital city.
- El Alto - Formerly a suburb to La Paz, now a city of its own.
- Copacabana - a popular resort town on the shores of Lake Titicaca on a small peninsula that is actually contiguous with Peru. It actually gave the famous beach in Rio de Janeiro its name. It is home to an impressive cathedral
- Coroico - town at the end of the "death road," with nice weather and a resort feel to it.
- Quime - Hidden, practically unknown town with secret valleys, lost gold, and elfin forests at the beginning of the Coca Trail.
The region borders both Chile and Peru, to and from which there are international bus services. It's also popular to enter from Cochabamba to the east and Oruro to the south.
Lake Titicaca.-The lake is located at the northern end of the endorheic Altiplano basin high in the Andes on the border of Peru and Bolivia. The eastern side is located in the Bolivian La Paz Department.Copacabana is the main Bolivian town on Lake Titicaca, from where boats leave for Isla del Sol, the sacred Inca island. The town has a large 16th-century shrine, the Basilica of Our Lady of Copacabana.
- Go down the The Worlds Most Dangerous Road on a mountain bike is probably the safest way to get to Coroico. Read more in the La Paz section.
- Climb Huayna Potosi. A non-technical 6088M climb with a hard(er) last 120m. Recommended 5 days at altitude prior to climbing.
La Paz is a good place to eat, a different food, but you can find plenty of possibilities to find from Thai food to traditional food. El Consulado offers you an alternative in new andean kitchen.