| || |
|−|* '''LA Hotel & Resort ''', [http://www.la-hotel-cyprus.com]. A holiday heaven situated on the beautiful coast of North Cyprus close to the historic Lapta Village. | |
|−|* '''Hotel Sempati''', [http://www.hotelsempati.com]. Family run luxury hotel. | |
|−|* '''Bare Hill Holiday Village''', Karaoglanoglu Avenue ''Near Escape Beach'', Alsancak, (0090-392)-821 26 09, [email protected], [http://www.barehillcyprus.com]. Family run hotel. | |
|−|* '''Acapulco Beach Club & Resort Hotel''', Catalkoy, [http://www.acapulco-cyprus.com]. 5 star hotel with sandy beach. | |
|−|* '''Manolya Hotel''', [http://www.manolyahotel.com]. Family run luxury hotel just next to the beach. | |
|−|* '''Club Simena Hotel''', [http://www.clubsimena-hotel.com]. 3 star hotel with a gorgeous view of the ''5 Finger Mountains'' | |
|−|* '''The Dome Hotel''', [http://www.dome-cyprus.com]. 4 star hotel within a few minutes walking distance to Kyrenia harbour and castle. | |
|−|* '''Riverside Holiday Village''', [http://www.riversideholidayvillage.com] A 4* star family run holiday resort located in the village of Alsancak, within walking distance to elegant or traditional restaurants. Riverside is also providing free bus service to beaches. | |
|−|*<sleep name="The Colony Hotel" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="http://www.thecolonycyprus.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="" lat="" long="">Located in the heart of downtown Kyrenia the five star The Colony Hotel lies between the mountains of North Cyprus and the timeless blue Mediterranean Sea.</sleep> | |
|−|*<sleep name="Mountain View Hotel" alt="North Cyprus Hotels & Holidays" address="Adnan Damar Cad. Karaoglanoglu" directions="" phone="+903928223454" url="http://www.mountainviewcyprus.com" checkin="12:00" checkout="12:00" price="£25" lat="" long="">For cheap North Cyprus Hotels and Holidays, Mountain View Hotel is a 3-star family run hotel in Kyrenia, North Cyprus.</sleep> | |
| || |
Revision as of 20:20, 29 December 2009
The central marina of Kyrenia
Kyrenia (Κερύνεια, also Girne in Turkish) is in Northern Cyprus.
A picturesque port with a population of just 22,000, Kyrenia is the most popular tourist destination in Northern Cyprus.
Atlas air, Cyprus Turkish airlines fly to North Cyprus Ercan airport. Also if you fly to Larnaca airport you can cross the borders to stay free in North Cyprus Kyrenia.
Frequent ferry services operated by Fergün Shipping connect Kyrenia to Alanya (3½ hours, costing 78 TL/person one-way) and Taşucu (costing 60-68 TL/person one-way according to the fastness of the ferry) in Turkey.
Kyrenia street view [Photo: Rolf Palmberg]
The best way to explore Kyrenia is with a rental car as public transportation is not that good in the Kyrenia area. If you are staying in the central Kyrenia there are "Lapta Dolmuş" (busses) to go to the beaches in the west side of Kyrenia.
Public busses are available from Kyrenia to Nicosia (capital city) and Famagusta. If you are visiting Güzelyurt then Çimen Taxi (7 seater ) is availalbe, as you are sharing the cost it is cheap.
- Kyrenia Castle. Next to the harbor. An ancient castle of uncertain origin, but probably built by the Byzantines in the 7th century. Richard the Lionheart conquered it (and the rest of Cyprus) in 1191 on his way to Jerusalem, only to lose it to the Lusignans, the Venetian, the Ottomans and eventually the British, who used it as a prison.
- Shipwreck Museum. Within Kyrenia Castle. This small museum houses the preserved wreck of a wooden merchant ship dated 306 BC, found in 1967 off the coast of Kyrenia. The cargo of 400 amphorae (clay jugs) filled with olives and almonds was still (relatively speaking) intact.
- Scuba Diving
- Turtle bay dive Centre
- Kyrenia Range Walks
- Orchids Walk
- Turtle Watching.
- Boat Tours - best way to discover shores of Kyrenia and enjoy the sun and sea.
The official currency of North Cyprus is Turkish Lira, TL. All major currencies are easily exchanged and most shops do accept Euro, £ British Pound and $ US Dollar. But it is always better to carry some Turkish Lira for small shops in the villages.
There are many somewhat touristy restaurants by the harbor.
Try typical turkish cuisine such as lahmacun, meze, turkish kebab and flat breads. There are many markets selling fresh fruit and vegetables, olives, cheeses, breads and meats. For a splurge, take an excursion to Bellapais in the hills above Kyrenia, which has many classy restaurants.
There is lots of bars available around the Kyrenia.
- Sempati Bar (Sky sports)
- Runch Bar
- Riverside Ranch Bar with Sky Tv on big screen and happy hours, drinks half price.
- The Valley restaurant and Clubbers Bar in Korineum Golf and Country Club.
- Bellapais has an amazing ruined Gothic monastery and some good restaurants too.
- The magnificent St. Hilarion Castle overlooks Kyrenia and is easily visited on a day trip.