| || |
A few trains a day run from [[Inverness]]
. These trains can also be used to visit [[Plockton]]. 4 Trains into Kyle during the Summer months |+|
A few trains a day run from [[Inverness]] to [[Plockton]].
| || |
Revision as of 18:53, 26 December 2012
Kyle of Lochalsh is a village in the Scottish Highlands. It is just across the water from Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye and linked to the island by the (now free) Skye Bridge. Whilst there are not that many actual sights in the village, it makes a good base for some nearby attractions.
The Skye Bridge - Linking Kyle of Lochalsh to the Isle
A few trains a day operated by ScotRail  run from Inverness to Kyle via Dingwall and Plockton.
Several Citylink  coaches a day run to and from Fort William, Inverness and Glasgow and continue on to Portree and Uig on Skye.
Local buses run every 1/2 hour over the Skye Bridge to Kyleakin on Skye, from where you can pick up more local buses.
During the summer, there are also frequent buses to and from Eilean Donan Castle. At other times the long-distance coaches can drop you off / pick you up here.
Kyle is small enough to get around on foot.
- Seaprobe Atlantis, Tourist Information Centre, ☎ 0800 980 4846, . £12.50.
- Take a hike 
- Hectors Plaice and Bothy (Cafe and Fish & Chip Shop), Station Road Kyle of Lochalsh, ☎ 01599 534248, . Cafe serving home made fresh food and snacks. Adjacent takeaway serving fish & chips, ice creams, kebabs and other hot snacks.Good local following and open all year
- The Harbour fish bar, Innes Street plockton, ☎ 01599 544 479, . 12.00 - 20.30. Suppers: fish (locally caught), Chicken, Stornoway Black pudding, White pudding,haggis,Home made fishcakes. vegi options, various burgers, Southern fried Chicken scampi, sausage and lots more! home made specials: lasagne,macaroni, chilli , pizza etc toasted sandwiches home made soup children's meals cold drinks Freshly ground coffee, cappucino, espresso, latte etc.. ice cream seating outside
- Hector's 2 Go ((Fish and Chip shop and takeaway)), Main Street, Kyle of Lochalsh ((next to Bank of Scotland)), ☎ 01599 530169, . New fish and chip shop in Kyle selling fish and chips, freshly made pizzas, kebabs, locally sourced ice cream, baked potatoes, fresh soup, hot and cold drinks and sandwiches made freshly for you while you wait. Family run establishment in the heart of the village. Ask for their new loyalty card so that with every 7 meal deals get number 8 free.
- The Lochalsh Hotel, Ferry Road, ☎ +44 (1599) 53 42 02 ([email protected], fax: +44 (1599) 53 48 81), . from £35 per room per night.
- The Old Bank House, Main Street (Kyle of Lochalsh), ☎ 01599 534283, . The Bank House Kyle Village We are conveniently located in the HEART of Kyle village. Opposite the old slipway bus station and 3 minutes by car from Kyle Railway Station Child friendly Family run establishment
The nearby Eilean Donan Castle
- Plockton - a very attractive loch-side village a few miles away by train or car.
- Eilean Donan Castle in Dornie - a classic (if restored) Scottish castle at the edge of a loch. See above for buses.
- Take the bridge to Skye