Kundapur is a popular town in Udupi district, Karavali, known for its unique dialect of Kannada, and great food
Kundapura is ideally situated at the centre of Karnatakas coastal belt and gives vistors the possibility to easily explore the interesting and diverse surroundings. Due to its well organized local bus system Kundapura allows you to reach the Western Ghats, Karnatakas Hinterland and other lovely beach strips in no time. Further mobility is secured by the train station which has frequent trains to Bombay, Goa and Kerala.
The Western Ghats are Indias bio-diversity hot spot and a nice, chilly place in the hot, tropical souther part of the subcontinent. Astonishing wild life, beautiful tea and coffee plantations, unspoiled forests and a green, hilly landscape will make sure that your trip to this mountain range will become one of your favorites. The mild climate will ease your body and leave you non sweating but this region is much more than just relaxing. Trekking is a must for every sporty tourist and maybe you will find some hidden waterfall which invites you to take a refreshing shower.
Kundapura has some of the best bus services found in India, with neat, clean and luxurious buses plying every minute on the Kundpura-Udupi-Mangalore route (NH-17).Even A/C buses are available in this route. The Kundapura Bangalore route is services by a number of modern A/C Volvo and sleeper services.
The nearest airport is Mangalore, which has flights to Bombay and Bangalore and a recently started international flight to the Gulf.
The nearest railway station is Kundapura, which is almost 3 KM from the heart of the city(Main Bus stand).
Frequent bus service is available to Railway station. This railway station will connect Madgaon(GOA), Mumbai in north and Mangalore, Kannur, Thiruvananthapuram with the frequent train services.
In Kundapur one can see Sri Kundeshwara Temple from which the name "Kundapur" has came, Sri Venkataramana Temple which is famous as Padu Tirupathi and also Kote Hanumantha Temple which is coolest river shore temple.
Kundapura Railway Station (KUDA)
Kundapura is one of the major railway station on Konkan Railway route. For the outside visitors/devotees this is alighting point to visit 3 important ancient temples in the region. Shree Vinayaka Temple, Anagudde (7km), Shree Mookambika Temple, Kollur (38km) & Shree Sharadamba Temple, Shringeri (less than 80km). There is no direct local bus service from Kundapura New Bus stand to the Railway station. From the New bus stand or from Shastri circle you can catch a bus to railway station and they will drop you at a a place near the railway station. From there a lonely road of about 1 to 1.5 kn takes you to the station. You can however get an auto from anywhere in Kundapura town to drop you directly at the Kundapura station, but the cost obviously will be much higher than what you pay for a bus ticket.
- Kollur Mookambika temple is about 45 km from here.
- Maravanthe beach ..12 Kms from Kundapur.
- Turtle Beach .. 14 Kms from Kundapur
- Kodi Beach 1 Kms from Kundapur
- SRI Siddhi vinayaka Temple Kumbashi.. 3 km from Kundapur.
- SRI Hatti yangadi siddi vinayaka temple situated 5 km from kundpur.
- SRI Laxmi Venkatesha Temple one kilometer from Kundapur.
- Koteshwara Kotilingeshwara Temple, (5 km south of Kundapur on NH 17), . edit
- Visit Kodi beach. A very lovely beach with white sands and absolute privacy. Best way to reach is to catch a local bus that goes to the stop on the highway (towards Udipi) that is closest to Kodi beach(only local buses stop at this stop, express buses do not stop) and get down in the highway, cross the road and catch an auto to go to the beach. Kodi beach it's about 1.5 to 2 km inside from the highway. There is very infrequent bus service from Kundapura New bus stand to Kodi beach directly, however you may find autos both at the highway that take you from Highway to Kodi beach and at the Kodi beach which will bring you back to the highway. You will get plenty of buses in the highway going to Kundapura new bus stop.
- Visit Maravante beach. One on side of NH17 is souparnika river and on another side the sea. Catch a local bus from New Bus stand of Kundapura and ask them to drop you at Maravanthe beach. The place where the NH17 has river and sea on either side is about 1 km ahead of the bus stop.
- Watch Yakshagana, . It is a popular local traditional theatrical art. edit
- Mande Haale (Helmet or cap made of dried palm tree leave). edit
- Hotel Nandini- Near To Shstry circle- Pure Veg.
- Hotel Parijatha- Near To Shenoy Park- Pure Veg.
- Hotel Sharon- Harsha Refreshments- Shastri Circle.- pure Veg. They make kotte kadabu in the evening around 4 pm
- ' Maiya Canteen- Pure veg By. Kamath. Goli Baje and Sukkinunde are famous snacks that they serve.
- Hotel JK - - near shastri circle- Good Food- Cool Non-veg Stuff.
- Shetty Lunch Home (Chicken ghee roast was invented here and is still the best in the country! Call one hour in advance to get it custom prepared. Also excellent ''munchy Fish'', Ghee Rice, and silver fish fried in coconut oil), Main Road, Near Bus Stand, ☎ 08254230408. land before 3PM for lunch. edit
- Gadbad Ice cream. - served in any of ice cream parlours. It's fruit salad topped with different flavours of ice cream edit
- charumuri (mundakki upkari). edit
- kotte kadabu (Rice Idli cooked inside green leaves cups). edit
- kane meenu (A kind of fish (called Lady Fish in other parts ) famous in kundapur, coocked as a masala fry or rava fry). edit
- Venkatesha Bhavan, (center of town). Authentic vegetarian coastal food. edit
- Hotel kinara, Kodi beach (It is in Kodi beach). It is the only hotel on beach in kundapur.. They serve on the beach and there are beach shacks also for privacy. Awesome food. U should try chicken 87 there edit
- Yelaneeru Bondo (Tender Coconut). edit
- Hane Kannu (Palm fruit). edit
- kabbina haalu (Sugar cane juice). edit
- Sharon International Hotel which is located at the division of the road one towards Kundapur old bus stand and the other towards Bhatkal. There is one more hotel diagonally opposite to Sharon. Prices are quite reasonable and the rooms clean.
- Savi Sagar (Boarding and Lodging)Near new bus stand opposite to Shetty's Lunch Home. the Hotel is on the 5th Floor of Sri Venkatarammana Arcade, clean rooms with a view of the coconut trees along the backwaters. www.savisaar.com
- Blue waters, Near new bus stand, near the court (Go to the end of kundapur near the river). It is a very decent place to stay. A bit expensive. edit