KumtaUttara Kannada : Kumta
Kumta small town on western coastal part of Karnatka, India.
The best time to visit is in the month of October to January. Kumta is known for its betelnut, cashew, coconut, banana cultivation and fisheries.
You can fly to Dabolim Airport (Goa) and take a taxi or bus. Kumta is 4 hours from there. You can fly to Bajpe Airport (Mangalore) and take a taxi or bus. It is 7 hours from there.
Kumta is connected to Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Mangalore, Cochin and other important places through the Konkan Railway. The journey between Mangalore & Kumta takes not more than 4 hours. Visitors from Chennai can enter via Mangalore. For details, kindly enquire with the Railway authorities. Travelers from Bangalore and Hyderabad should get off at Hubli and proceed by road to Kumta. The road between Hubli & Kumta, is one of the best in Karnataka and passes through thick jungle.
Overnight deluxe bus services are available from Bangalore. Buses also ply between Madgaon/Karwar/Mangalore and Kumta at regular intervals.
Kumta is about
Rental Cars, Public Transports(Bus), Auto rickshaw or bicycle.
Kumta is famous as coastal town with many beaches and for temples.
The Town has 4 Beaches in it. Dhareshwar beach is very good and is located 5 km away from kumta. Beautiful places in Kumta include:
- Kumta beach
- Kadle beach
- Dhareshwar beach
- Baada beach
- Mirjan Fort
- Aghanashini Fort
Temples in Kumta town are
- Uppin Ganapati
- Shanteri Kamakshi Temple
- Venkatraman Temple
- Mahalasa Temple
- Shantika Parmeshwari Temple
- Mahasati Katta
- Kumta Amma Temple
- Kanchika Parmeshwari Temple, Baad
- Shiva Temple, Dhareshwar
- devakiKrishna temple,kagal
Kumta is famous for crafted items and cashew nuts. The famous shop for the crafted items is Mahalasa, near Shantika Parameshwari temple. Sahyadri Cashew is the best brand for cashew nut products.
Kumta ( for that matter entire Konkan) is famous for fish. You can have different types of fish items.
- Taj Hotel. For delicious Biryani near Masjid in market area
- Hotel Moonlight on Kumbeshwar road which serves great fish delicacies in this part of the world. Their Masala Fry is lip-smacking. Sweets like ghanti (also called as ghati), saati, misal bhaaji are famous in Kumta. You can also have gadbad ( it's a sundae, served with different types of fruits).
- Manki Ground Complex. "Achuta leg piece" the best of chicken leg piece you can try here. edit
You can have tender coconut, soda sharabat (lime juice with soda and sugar syrup) and shunti soda ( ginger soda).
There are three main options one can go for.
- Hotel Panduranga International (1km from the bus stand). Clean rooms & helpful staff & a good vegetarian restaurant. a/c rooms are available. edit
- Hotel Vaibhav ( 200 meters from the bus stand) - a/c and non-a/c rooms are available.
- Kamath Hotel ( 500 meters from the bus stand)
- Hotel Purnima, NH 17 (near bustand). Rooms from 250 to 500/- available with very good food edit
You can also opt for guest house maintained by the Government.
- Yana - 30 kms from here. Good for trekking.
- Gokarna, famous for the its beach (originally famous for the temple), is just 35 km away.
- Jog Falls, tallest waterfall of India, is 70 km away.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|