Minedumps from the gold industry is still a common sight around Krugersdorp
Krugersdop is a town in South Africa's Gauteng province, located to the west of Johannesburg.
Krugersdorp was the hometown of engineer George Pratley who invented Pratley Putty in 1948. Pratley Putty was used by NASA in 1969 on Apollo XI's Eagle landing craft and is the only South Africa product ever to go to the moon.
- From Pretoria follow the N14 west until it joins the R28 (Paardekraal Drive), then follow Paardekraal into Krugersdorp
- From Johannesburg, take the M47/Gordon Road (exit 78/Roodepoort) turnoff from the N1, follow Gordon Road for 1km until it crosses Ondekkers Road, turn right into Ondekkers and follow it until it changes name to Voortrekker Road. Follow Voortrekker Road into Krugersdorp.
Springbok in the Krugersdorp Game Reserve
- Krugersdorp Game Reserve, Rustenburg Road (R24), ☎ +27 (0)11 950-9900. Main gate is open from 8AM to 6PM, Lion camp and Aviary is open 8AM to 5PM. A 1400 hectare reserve with hippo, rhino, giraffe, a number of species of buck, wildebees, giraffe, zebra, ostrich, lions and a bird aviary. Lion feeding at 10AM every Sunday. A caravan park and lodge is located within the park. R40 per adult, R20 per child for day visitors.
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve, ☎ +27 (0)11 957-0106 ([email protected]), . Open 8AM to 3:45PM. Offers game drive, horse trails, an observatory, abseiling, swimming pool and braai and picnic areas. Wide range of animals. R70.
- Ngonyama Caravan Park, Krugersdorp Game Reserve (On the R24 just west of town), ☎ +27 (0)11 950-9900 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 665-1735), . 50 caravan and tent sites. Convenience store, take aways, pool, laundry and 5 star ablution block.
- Ngonyama Lion Lodge, Krugersdorp Game Reserve (On the R24 just west of town), ☎ +27 (0)11 950-9900 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 665-1735), . Bed&Breakfast as well as self catering chalets within the Game Reserve