Kisumu is a city in Western Kenya.
Kisumu is a port city in western Kenya. It is the third largest city in Kenya , the principal city of western Kenya , the capital of Nyanza Province and the headquarters of Kisumu District. It is the largest city in Nyanza Province and was the second most important city after Kampala in the greater Lake Victoria basin but according to the United Nations it is now recognised as a key city and for that reason was award the title of 'Millenium City' - the first of its kind in the world! This will assist greatly in development and business investment. It is accessible by road, rail, car, bus, water (via Lake Victoria) and air.
Kisumu is a small town with lots to see, you can use the notorious boda boda (bicycle taxi), matatus (minivan-bus), bus,or you can rent a car.
Lake Victoria - fishing is popular here.
Visit Dunga beach with its artisanal fishing activities. Check for live performances from local artists Sunday afternoons at Kiboko Bay
Kisumu has a crafts market (Masai market) along Nairobi road, which is smaller than what is found in Nairobi but also less expensive.
More crafts and curio stalls can be found in the Choppies City mall lobby. there are many Choppies supermarkets all over Kisumu.
You can buy African print cloths (kitenge, lesso, ankara etc) in town, outside Jubilee veggie market and in the main town market
Kisumu has a suprising variety of restaurants for its small size
- Dr. Mbuzi near New Highway for roast goat/chicken and beer
- Fish near lake Victoria
- Buddy's (brick oven pizza) in Tusky's mall
- Cafe Ole in Tusky's mall
- Victoria Terrace at Imperial Hotel. Great Burgers (try the Obama Burger), Pizza's and baskets.
- Oriental Restaurant
- Salazar (Chinese/Indian)
- KnK coffee shop
- Boston Cafe
- Florence Restaurant at Imperial Hotel. Delicious steaks, fish and chicken dishes.
- Mashua on Oginga Odinga Rd
- Green Garden
- Family Kitchen
- Mon Ami in Nakumatt Mega City
- Bootleggers in Nakumatt Mega City
- Java House at West End Mall
- Habesha restaurant near Russia (Nyanza hospital)
- Gopala (fast food) opposite Swan center
- Haandi in Nakumatt Mega Plaza
- Salazar (Chinese/Indian)
- Yacht Club
- Turtle Bar
- Laughing Buddha in Swan Center
Aside from the town centre there are a number of places to eat and drink in the evenings in the Kondele region on both Kibos Road and Jomo Kenyatta Highway with guest houses close by to sleep in too.
Kisumu has a number of guest houses, hotels, motels, hostels, all dependent on your needs and budget. It is common for hotels and bed and breakfast accommodation to be called a guest house in Kisumu Kenya. They are the most common and best value places to stay - hotels seem to ramp up their prices just because they are a hotel - beware.
- Kisumu Guest House  a 5 minute walk from town center. Price: around $18. House converted to a lovely guest house hotel in Kisumu that offers en-suite facilities with a communal lounge with digital TV and a communal kitchen, a free to use computer with free access to the Internet. Free daily breakfast too. Small garden front and back with free parking. Secure double-gated area with guards on a quiet residential estate.
- Kisumu Hostel  is located in Milimani, a 5 minute walk from Mega City shopping mall. Price: around Ksh 1200 per person. It's somewhere between a homestay and a hostel, with the owners living together with their guests. Shared kitchen and living room. Facilities are: hot shower, free WiFi, unlimited coffee, tea and purified water, breakfast included, secure parking.
- Imperial Hotel - Kisumu, . is situated in the heart of Africa and on the shores of the world's second largest fresh water lake - Lake Victoria. The hotel has a reputation of upholding traditional hospitality values despite the changing times.
- London Guest House  is within main town Kisumu and is considered to be easily the best value accommodation at Ksh1200 in the city. Mosquito nets are provided and a lovely outdoor area and surrounding yard with tables and places to sit and chat. They also provide breakfast.</sleep>
- Sooper Guest House, Odinga Odinga Rd. checkout: 10am. Cheap, but very clean, hot water, mosquito nets, cable TV. a beautiful roof top terrace. single KSH1300. edit