Kingston is a village in South Kingstown in Rhode Island.
The village is located in and surrounded by the University of Rhode Island (URI).
Much of the tourism around Kingston happens in surrounding towns and cities located near by. The main restaurants, events, and things to do in town of Kingston can be found on the URI campus, or a short drive away.
TF Green Airport
The closest airport to Kingston is TF Green Airport. This is the major airport in Rhode Island and is located right off of the interstate. Below are easy to follow directions to TF Green Airport in Warwick, RI, conveniently located one mile off I-95 at the end of Exit #13. Quite literally, once you exit the highway, the exit ramp takes you directly to our doorstep. No city traffic to fight and no confusion about what turns to take.
From Providence, Northern Rhode Island, and Massachusetts:
Take I-95 South to Exit 13.
From Cape Cod and Eastern Massachusetts
Take Rt. 195 West to I-95 South to Exit 13.
From Southern Rhode Island and Connecticut:
Take I-95 North to Exit 13.
Take MA-146 South which becomes RI-146 South
Take RI I-295 S to Exit 3A, RI-37 East to I-95 South
Take Exit 13
Boston Logan International Airport
Boston Logan International Airport is New England’s largest transportation center and generates $7 billion in economic activity each year. It is a city within a city on a 1,700 acre footprint of land. The airport has a fire department, a police department, a power plant, two hotels, a non-denominational chapel and 27 acres of landscaping along the roadways and terminals.
From the West:
Take I-90 East (Masspike) to the Ted Williams Tunnel and take I-90 East Exit 26 to Logan.
From the North:
Option 1: Take I-93 South to Exit 24B to the Callahan Tunnel and Route 1A North to Logan.
Option 2: Take Route 1 South, exit at Route 60, and follow the signs to Logan Airport.
From the South:
I-93 North to Exit 20 to I-90 East and the Ted Williams Tunnel, then take I-90 East Exit 26 to Logan.
Route 138 runs east and west through the heart of Kingston Rhode Island. But you can also use route 2 (also known as the South County Trail) and Route 1 which intersects with 138.
Amtrak's "Northeast Regional" rail service can take passengers to Kingston from as far north as Boston, MA and as far south as Newport News, VA. Tickets can be purchased online from Amtrak or at stations that have a "Quik-Trak" ticketing kiosk. These trains are reserved so tickets cannot be purchased on-board. Kingston Station also has a small museum that is open to visitors on certain days of the week.
RIPTA (Rhode Island Public Transit Authority) has two bus routes that regularly stop at Kingston Station. Bus routes 64 and 66 both stop at Kingston Station and travel to other locations throughout Rhode Island. A one-way fare costs $2.00 which is paid on-board. Schedules and other information can be found at ripta.com.
RIPTA Gillig Low Floor 0517
- RIPTA's bus service is an affordable way to get around Rhode Island. Route 66 can take passengers to the University of Rhode Island, Wakefield, and Galilee while Route 64 can take passengers to Newport. Both of these bus routes travel to Providence as well. Regular one-way fare is $2.00 and is paid on-board. There are also Flex Routes that run around campus and the surrounding area. For schedules and more information, visit ripta.com.
- By taxi- There are two main Taxi Companies that service the Kingston area. Eagle Taxi, 20 Middlebridge Rd, Narragansett, RI 02882 +1 401 783-2970. Also Orange Cab, 312 Connell Hwy, Newport +1 401 841-0411. It's recommended that you call a little bit earlier than you want to leave since they are located not in Kingston, and during the school year they can also be very busy.
- Kinney Azalea Gardens, 1381 Kingstown Rd, Kingston, . Open for anyone to walk around and explore the trails of colorful azaleas and rhododendrons. They typically blossom mid-May and stay open until the beginning of July. edit
- Old Washington County Jail, 2636 Kingstown Road, ☎ 401-783-1328. Built in 1792, the Old Washington County Jail features changing exhibits which depict life in South County over the last 300 years. Other attractions include period appropriate jail cells and rooms in which the former jailer's family and prisoners lived side by side. The jailhouse is also the home of the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society. edit
- University of Rhode Island, 14 Upper College Rd., ☎ 1-401-874-1000, . URI's Kingston campus has a wonderful atmosphere. If you're interested in having a picnic, don't hesitate to have it in the quadrangle. The Botanical Gardens are open to the public and free at all times and showcase environmental landscape plants and practices. edit
- Theatre By the Sea, 364 Cards Pond Road Matunuck, RI 02879, ☎ +1(401)-782-8587, . Enjoy local productions of your favorite shows by local actors. Check the website for showtimes. edit
- Narragansett Town Beach, 81 Boston Neck Road Narragansett, RI 02882, ☎ +1 (401) 789-1044, . Seasonal hours. Narragansett Town Beach Ranks No.14 on Yankee Magazine’s List of the 25 Best Beach Towns in New England. Narragansett Town Beach is a classic New England Saltwater Coastal Beach front that offers some of the best, cleanest and accessible beach conditions for the residents and tourist in New England with attendance up to 10,000 patrons per day. Located in the center of town, the beach offers ample parking in the North, South, West and Cabana parking areas along with food, restrooms, first-aid office, surfing area and a beautiful sandy beachfront. The total beach acreage is approximately 19 acres. Admission is six dollars per day per person. edit
- Bradford R. Boss Ice Arena, URI Campus, +1 401-874-5480, . Open to the public from 10AM-1:50PM. Check out the calendar for other events which might be going on in the arena.
- Shades of Sunderland (Tattoo Parlor), 99 Fortin Road (near the CVS in the Kingston Emporium), ☎ 401-783-1026, . open every day. Wednesdays are walk-in.. Tattoo parlor frequented by college students. Very clean and professional atmosphere. Price depends on tatoo. edit
- 193 Degree Coffeehouse, 50 Lower College Rd. Kingston, RI, ☎ 401-5060. The 193 Degree Coffeehouse is a student run coffee house located on the 2nd floor of the Memorial Union building at the University of Rhode Island. This coffee house has a large range of drinks, from bottled beverages to specialty hot chocolates. As well as serving inexpensive, organic, and fair trade coffee, this coffee house also hosts small concerts and open mics. The acts range from hip-hop, to indie, to psychedelic, to hardcore. Concerts are usually a sliding scale from $1-$5, given as gas money to touring bands. edit
- Sedra Cafe, 99 Fortin Rd., ☎ 401-788-0096. The only hookah bar around, which is conveniently located in the emporium at URI. Students and locals come to enjoy the variety of flavors of tobacco and food. Very relaxing atmosphere - equipped with couches, and lounge chairs. This is the place to go with a group of friends looking to enjoy a night of hookah. edit
- URI Theatre, Upper College Road (Fine Arts Center), +1 401-874-2627. Live theatre productions, Concert Choir and University Chorus performances, student recitals, the music department's semesterly Opera, and occasional non-URI performances.
- Theatre By The Sea, Card Ponds Rd., South Kingstown, Rhode Island, ☎ 401-782-8587, . Theatre By The Sea is a popular, local, historic theatre and playhouse. edit
- Pettaquamscutt Historical Society Museum, 2636 Kingstown Rd, Kingston, RI 02881, ☎ (401) 783-1328, . The Pettaquamscutt Historical Society Museum is a former jail building that houses the organization, a collection of fine Early American artifacts, and a history within the building's walls. edit
- Perry-Carpenter Grist Mill, 364 Moonstone Beach Rd., South Kingstown, Rhode Island, ☎ (401) 783-5483. Perry-Carpenter Grist Mill is an historic mill that was built in 1716 and added to the National Historic Register in 1990. edit
Hot air balloons at the Balloon Festival
- Balloon Festival, URI Kingston Campus, Route 138. Dates differ year to year, but is always held in August lasting from a Friday to Sunday. Hot air balloons from around the state are brought and take off in the late afternoon. There are small carnival rides, booths with jewelry, arts and small vender's products and performances throughout the day. edit
- South Kingstown Farmers' Market The market is outdoors from May to October, rain or shine. The Saturday outdoor market is located at The University of Rhode Island's East Farm on Route 108 in Wakefield from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm. The Tuesday outdoor market is located at Marina Park on Salt Pond Road in Wakefield from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. From November to April the market is indoors at Peace Dale Mills, 1425 Kingstown Road, Wakefield from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. .
- University Spirit, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ 401-783-6763. Great store to find URI apparel! Not only do they offer awesome sweatshirts, t-shirt's, sweat pants, and other hoodies, but also they have a customizing section of the store. University Spirit is very well known for its personal designs on sweat gear; they are especially popular with Greek Life at URI. edit
- Crosswynd Traders, 1175 Boston Neck Road, ☎ +1 (401) 782-1110. M-Sun 10am to 6pm. Incredibly affordable clothing store located just outside Kingston, with a great selection for all ages. Family owned and operated! edit
- University of Rhode Island Memorial Union, 50 Lower College Road, ☎ +1 (401) 874-2726. Located right in the heart of the University of Rhode Island, this building houses many different shops. There is the book store, where you can buy apparel and other URI accessories, and different food and candy shops. edit
- International Pizza, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1 (401) 515-0055, . 10:00 am - 2:00 am. Pizza by the slice, or personalized pies. International Pizza offers a wide variety of toppings and sides. Menu also includes hot & cold subs, salads, soups, pasta, and more. Plain cheese slice is only 1.99. edit
- Ronzio Pizza, 50 Lower College Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 782-8360, . 11 a.m - 10/11 p.m.. Located in the URI Memorial Union, Ronzio's caters to many students and faculty on campus. Offering Pizza, subs, calzones, salads, and pasta's. Great option for delivery on campus. edit
- Cucina Twist, 2095 Kingstown Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 789-5300, . This is a trendy restaurant in a very casual, family oriented atmosphere. Half of appetizers everyday between 4-6 p.m. Price ranges are from $12-20. edit
- International Zone (Izone), 100 Fortin Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 782-2321. 12pm-3am. Specialty in many types of calzones and strombolis. They also offer soda and ice cream. Delivery takes up to 45 minutes but rarely longer. Make sure to have them repeat your order back. The food is reasonably priced for the large portions they offer. 8.95 per stromboli/calzone. edit
- Peiking Tokyo, 120 Fortin Rd., . 10:30 am - 10 or 11:00 pm. Japanese food restaurant in the Emporium on URI campus. Very reasonable lunch specials and dinner combinations. They also offer a wide range of sushi and sashimi. Never takes more than 15 minutes for pick up orders. 5.95 lunch specials. edit
- International Pocket Cafe, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1 (401) 792-0190, . 10:30 am - 9:30 pm. Looking for a Mediterranean lunch or dinner? International Pocket Cafe is home to amazing Kabob plates and falafel pockets. They specialize in gyros and veggie sandwiches. Large plates for a decent price, worth the visit. edit
- Caliente Mexican Grille, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1 (401) 284-2816 ([email protected]), . Some of the best Mexican food near URI ranging from regular taco's to quesadilla's. The prices are very fair for the amount of food that you get. Plenty of flavor in every bite for your mouth. Every dish is made to your liking, mild to spicy. edit
- Simply Thai, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1 (401) 5153571. Mon-Sun 11am-9pm. Available through delivery and takeout. edit
- International Steakhouse, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1 (401) 792-0190. Sun-Wed 10am-12am Thurs-Sat 10am-3am. Specializes in delicatessens and sandwiches. edit
- Albies, 99 Fortin Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 792-3860, . 8:30 am -11:00 pm. Offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner specials all day with delivery available. Albies is famous for their burgers, sandwiches, wraps, and fries. Caters to many URI students living on campus. edit
- Burger Shack, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1 (401) 284-0037, . 11:00 am - 10:00 pm. Serving up American classics, including burgers, fries, shakes, and assorted salads. Reasonably priced meals and comfortable atmosphere for a quick bite to eat when your on-the-go. edit
- Ram's Den, 50 Lower College Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 874-5830, . Located in the University of Rhode Island's Memorial Union, it holds a wide variety burgers, sandwiches, salads, pizza, and snacks and serves breakfast all day. Hours are M-Th: 7:30am-7:00pm, Fri: 7:30am-4:00pm, and Sat-Sun: 11:00am-5:00pm. Prices range from $2-7. edit
- U Melt (""url="sogoodumelt.com"), 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1(401)284-3433. Mon-Saturday 11am-4pm. A classic grilled cheese store near URI serving not only grilled cheese, but salads, sandwiches, beer, and wine. edit
- Subway, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1(401)7894490. Sun-Thurs 7am-11pm Friday and Saturday 7am-10pm. Subway Sandwiches serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner. edit
- Rhode House, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1 (401) 284-2844. Sun-Wed 11am-1am Thursday-Saturday 11am-3am. Located in URI Emporium has a variety of sandwiches, wraps, salads, strombolis and calzones. You can order online through HungryRhody.com or by delivery. edit
- Panera Bread, 160 Old Tower Hill Road Wakefield, RI, ☎ +1 (401) 7880102, . Mon-Sun 9am-6pm. U.S chain featuring bakery products, sandwiches and salads. Accepts URI RAM Account. edit
- Dunkin Donuts, 120 Fortin Rd.. 6:00 am - 10:00pm. As any typical Dunkin Donuts around the world, they offer Bagels, Breakfast sandwiches, and coffee for the student on the go. Very reasonably priced and great service. edit
- TLC Coffee Roasters, 100 Fortin Road, ☎ +1(401)7888100, . Mon-Friday 6am-4pm Saturday and Sunday 6am-3pm. TLC Coffee Roasters serves daily brewed coffee, tea, breakfast, and lunch. edit
- Coffee n' Bagel Connection, 1175 Boston Neck Road Narragansett, RI, ☎ +1(401)7829920. Mon-Sunday 6am-3-pm. Coffee n' Bagel Connection serves daily roasted coffee and tea along with breakfast and lunch. edit
- Orange Leaf, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1(401)7924900, . Mon-Thurs 11am-11pm Friday and Saturday 11am-12am Sunday 11am-11pm. America's favorite Frozen Yogurt. edit
- Bagelz, 99 Fortin Rd., ☎ 401 782-2295, . A cozy cafe and deli nestled in the heart of the URI Emporium. They offer a wide range of bagels and coffee. This cafe caters mainly to URI students and faculty. edit
- Short n' Sweet, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1(401)-783-6800, . Monday- Saturday 11:30 am- 8:30 pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm. Candy Store edit
The Coast Guard House, Narragansett RI
- Charlie O's, 2 Sand Hill Cove Road Narragansett, RI, ☎ +1 401-782-2002, . Mon-Sun 11:300am to 1am. Serves lunch and dinner. Available for intimate receptions and special events. edit
- Bobby G's, 703 Kingstown Road South Kingstown, RI, ☎ +1 401-789-1130. Sun-Thurs 12pm-1am Friday and Saturday 11am-1am. Popular, local hangout. There is a jukebox and a pool table with karaoke on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturdays. Free buffet on Friday nights from4pm-8pm. Stop in and try the famous house drink, the Tidal Wave. edit
- Pancho O'Malley's, 140 Point Judith Road Narragansett, RI, ☎ +1 401-782-2290, . Mon-Sun 11:30am-1am. The Irish Pub with Mexican Grub. Stop by the local bar and try their wings, pizza, and tacos. edit
- Bon Vue Inn, 1230 Ocean Road Narragansett, RI, ☎ +1 401-789-0696. Mon-Thursday 4pm-1am Friday-Sunday 11:30am-1am. A popular nightclub and lounge located in Point Judith, right next to Aunt Carrie's Restaurant. edit
- The Coastguard House, 40 Ocean Road Narragansett, RI, ☎ +1 401-789-0700, . Mon-Sun 11:30am-1am. Local restaurant serving the freshest of seafood, delicious entrees, and the finest desserts in a casual, relaxed waterfront atmosphere. edit
- The Ocean Mist Beach Bar, 895 Matunuck Beach Road East Matunuck, RI, ☎ +401 401-782-3740, . Mon-Sun 9am-1am. Simply, we are just a beach bar. Located in the beach town of Matunuck, RI we are a local attraction serving lunch and dinner. Ticket Tuesday with Reggae is a big college and summer attraction. edit
- Rhody Joe's Sports Bar and Grille, 515 Kingstown Road Wakefield, RI, ☎ +1 401-783-0008, . Mon-Sun 11am-1am. The best place in South County to watch a game and grab a burger. edit
- Fat Belly's Pub, 333 Main Street Wakefield, RI, ☎ +1 401-284-4540, . Mon-Sun 11:30am-1am. Fat Belly's produces the highest quality pub food using only the best quality ingredients. edit
- Holiday Inn, 3009 Tower Hill Road, South, ☎ (401) 789-1051, . There are no major hotels/motels directly in Kingston. However, there are many just five minutes away in South Kingstown and Narragansett. The Closest hotel to the town of Kingston would be the Holiday Inn. Excellent location (distance to local beaches and historic Newport.) edit
- Sand Dollar Inn, 171 Post Rd, Westerly, RI 02891 (South on 1-95), ☎ +1(401) 322-2000, . Casual and friendly hotel right near the Westerly Town Beach, south of Kingston, RI. You can stay in this hotel for $46 dollars a night. edit
- Hampton Inn, 20 Hotel Dr, South Kingstown, RI 02879, ☎ +1(401) 788-3500, . $169 per night. Amenities including accessible facilities, business center, free wifi, free breakfast, free parking, Gym, Indoor, pool, Laundry. edit
- Kingston Free Library, 2605 Kingstown Rd, Kingston (On Route 138) ☎ +1 401 783-8254. It was previously a county court house; it also served as one of the five original state houses. The hours vary and change depending on holidays. There is a decent selection of books, though it is not as large as the Peace Dale Library, there are also some movies and music.