Kingston is a village in South Kingstown in Rhode Island.
The closest airport to Kingston is T.F. Greene airport to the north in Warwick RI. This major airport is the main air travel hub in Rhode Island. It's located about 45 minutes away from Kingston by car, and taxicabs are available.
Route 138 runs east and west through the heart of Kingston Rhode Island. But you can also use route 2 (also known as the South County Trail) and Route 1 which intersects with 138.
Amtrak's "Northeast Regional" rail service can take passengers to Kingston from as far north as Boston, MA and as far south as Newport News, VA. Tickets can be purchased online from Amtrak or at stations that have a "Quik-Trak" ticketing kiosk. These trains are reserved so tickets cannot be purchased on-board. Kingston Station also has a small museum that is open to visitors on certain days of the week.
RIPTA (Rhode Island Public Transit Authority) has two bus routes that regularly stop at Kingston Station. Bus routes 64 and 66 both stop at Kingston Station and travel to other locations throughout Rhode Island. A one-way fare costs $2.00 which is paid on-board. Schedules and other information can be found at ripta.com.
- RIPTA's bus service is an affordable way to get around Rhode Island. Route 66 can take passengers to the University of Rhode Island, Wakefield, and Galilee while Route 64 can take passengers to Newport. Both of these bus routes travel to Providence as well. Regular one-way fare is $2.00 and is paid on-board. For schedules and more information, visit ripta.com.
- Kinney Azalea Gardens, 1381 Kingstown Rd, Kingston, . Open for anyone to walk around and explore the trails of colorful azaleas and rhododendrons. They typically blossom mid-May and stay open until the beginning of July.
- Old Washington County Jail, 2636 Kingstown Road, ☎ 401-783-1328. Built in 1792, the Old Washington County Jail features changing exhibits which depict life in South County over the last 300 years. Other attractions include period appropriate jail cells and rooms in which the former jailer's family and prisoners lived side by side. The jailhouse is also the home of the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society.
- South County Art Association Helme House Gallery, 2587 Kingstown Road, Phone: +1 401-783-2195. W-Su 1PM-5PM. Founded in 1929, the Helme House exhibits local artists and students.
- University of Rhode Island, 14 Upper College Rd., ☎ 1-401-874-1000, . URI's Kingston campus has a wonderful atmosphere. If you're interested in having a picnic, don't hesitate to have it in the quadrangle. The Botanical Gardens are open to the public and free at all times and showcase environmental landscape plants and practices.
- URI Botanical Gardens, URI Kingston Campus. Free of charge. Showing home gardens and landscapings.
- Bradford R. Boss Ice Arena, URI Campus, +1 401-874-5480, . Open to the public from 10AM-1:50PM. Check out the calendar for other events which might be going on in the arena.
- Shades of Sunderland (Tattoo Parlor), 99 Fortin Road (near the CVS in the Kingston Emporium), ☎ 401-783-1026, . open every day. Wednesdays are walk-in.. Tattoo parlor frequented by college students. Very clean and professional atmosphere. Price depends on tatoo.
- 193 Degree Coffeehouse, 50 Lower College Rd. Kingston, RI, ☎ 401-5060. The 193 Degree Coffeehouse is a student run coffee house located on the 2nd floor of the Memorial Union building at the University of Rhode Island. This coffee house has a large range of drinks, from bottled beverages to specialty hot chocolates. As well as serving inexpensive, organic, and fair trade coffee, this coffee house also hosts small concerts and open mics. The acts range from hip-hop, to indie, to psychedelic, to hardcore. Concerts are usually a sliding scale from $1-$5, given as gas money to touring bands.
- Sedra Cafe, 99 Fortin Rd., ☎ 401-788-0096. The only hookah bar around, which is conveniently located in the emporium at URI. Students and locals come to enjoy the variety of flavors of tobacco and food. Very relaxing atmosphere - equipped with couches, and lounge chairs. This is the place to go with a group of friends looking to enjoy a night of hookah.
- URI Theatre, Upper College Road (Fine Arts Center), +1 401-874-2627. Live theatre productions, Concert Choir and University Chorus performances, student recitals, the music department's semesterly Opera, and occasional non-URI performances.
Hot air balloons at the Balloon Festival
- Balloon Festival, URI Kingston Campus, Route 138. Dates differ year to year, but is always held in August lasting from a Friday to Sunday. Hot air balloons from around the state are brought and take off in the late afternoon. There are small carnival rides, booths with jewelry, arts and small vender's products and performances throughout the day.
- South Kingstown Farmers' Market The market is outdoors from May to October, rain or shine. The Saturday outdoor market is located at The University of Rhode Island's East Farm on Route 108 in Wakefield from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm. The Tuesday outdoor market is located at Marina Park on Salt Pond Road in Wakefield from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. From November to April the market is indoors at Peace Dale Mills, 1425 Kingstown Road, Wakefield from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. .
- University Spirit, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ 401-783-6763. Great store to find URI apparel! Not only do they offer awesome sweatshirts, t-shirt's, sweat pants, and other hoodies, but also they have a customizing section of the store. University Spirit is very well known for its personal designs on sweat gear; they are especially popular with Greek Life at URI.
- Albies, 99 Fortin Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 792-3860, . 8:30 am -11:00 pm. Offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner specials all day with delivery available. Albies is famous for their burgers, sandwiches, wraps, and fries. Caters to many URI students living on campus.
- Burger Shack, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1 (401) 284-0037, . 11:00 am - 10:00 pm. Serving up American classics, including burgers, fries, shakes, and assorted salads. Reasonably priced meals and comfortable atmosphere for a quick bite to eat when your on-the-go.
- International Zone (Izone), 100 Fortin Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 782-2321. 12pm-3am. Specialty in many types of calzones and strombolis. They also offer soda and ice cream. Delivery takes up to 45 minutes but rarely longer. Make sure to have them repeat your order back. The food is reasonably priced for the large portions they offer. 8.95 per stromboli/calzone.
- Peiking Tokyo, 120 Fortin Rd., . 10:30 am - 10 or 11:00 pm. Japanese food restaurant in the Emporium on URI campus. Very reasonable lunch specials and dinner combinations. They also offer a wide range of sushi and sashimi. Never takes more than 15 minutes for pick up orders. 5.95 lunch specials.
- Dunkin Donuts, 120 Fortin Rd.. 6:00 am - 10:00pm. As any typical Dunkin Donuts around the world, they offer Bagels, Breakfast sandwiches, and coffee for the student on the go. Very reasonably priced and great service.
- International Pocket Cafe, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1 (401) 792-0190, . 10:30 am - 9:30 pm. Looking for a Mediterranean lunch or dinner? International Pocket Cafe is home to amazing Kabob plates and falafel pockets. They specialize in gyros and veggie sandwiches. Large plates for a decent price, worth the visit.
- International Pizza, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1 (401) 515-0055, . 10:00 am - 2:00 am. Pizza by the slice, or personalized pies. International Pizza offers a wide variety of toppings and sides. Menu also includes hot & cold subs, salads, soups, pasta, and more. Plain cheese slice is only 1.99.
- Ronzio Pizza, 50 Lower College Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 782-8360, . 11 a.m - 10/11 p.m.. Located in the URI Memorial Union, Ronzio's caters to many students and faculty on campus. Offering Pizza, subs, calzones, salads, and pasta's. Great option for delivery on campus.
- Cucina Twist, 2095 Kingstown Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 789-5300, . This is a trendy restaurant in a very casual, family oriented atmosphere. Half of appetizers everyday between 4-6 p.m. Price ranges are from $12-20.
- Ram's Den, 50 Lower College Rd., ☎ +1 (401) 874-5830, . Located in the University of Rhode Island's Memorial Union, it holds a wide variety burgers, sandwiches, salads, pizza, and snacks and serves breakfast all day. Hours are M-Th: 7:30am-7:00pm, Fri: 7:30am-4:00pm, and Sat-Sun: 11:00am-5:00pm. Prices range from $2-7.
- Caliente Mexican Grille, 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1 (401) 284-2816 ([email protected]), . Some of the best Mexican food near URI ranging from regular taco's to quesadilla's. The prices are very fair for the amount of food that you get. Plenty of flavor in every bite for your mouth. Every dish is made to your liking, mild to spicy.
- U Melt (""url="sogoodumelt.com"), 99 Fortin Rd, ☎ +1(401)284-3433. Mon-Saturday 11am-4pm. A classic grilled cheese store near URI serving not only grilled cheese, but salads, sandwiches, beer, and wine.
- Orange Leaf, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1(401)7924900, . Mon-Thurs 11am-11pm Friday and Saturday 11am-12am Sunday 11am-11pm. America's favorite Frozen Yogurt.
- TLC Coffee Roasters, 100 Fortin Road, ☎ +1(401)7888100, . Mon-Friday 6am-4pm Saturday and Sunday 6am-3pm. TLC Coffee Roasters serves daily brewed coffee, tea, breakfast, and lunch.
- Subway, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1(401)7894490, . Sun-Thurs 7am-11pm Friday and Saturday 7am-10pm. Subway Sandwiches serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Coffee n' Bagel Connection, 1175 Boston Neck Road Narragansett, RI, ☎ +1(401)7829920. Mon-Sunday 6am-3-pm. Coffee n' Bagel Connection serves daily roasted coffee and tea along with breakfast and lunch.
- Bagelz, 99 Fortin Rd., ☎ 401 782-2295, . A cozy cafe and deli nestled in the heart of the URI Emporium. They offer a wide range of bagels and coffee. This cafe caters mainly to URI students and faculty.
- Panera Bread, 160 Old Tower Hill Road Wakefield, RI, ☎ +1 (401) 7880102, . Mon-Sun 9am-6pm. U.S chain featuring bakery products, sandwiches and salads. Accepts URI RAM Account.
- Rhode House, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1 (401) 284-2844. Sun-Wed 11am-1am Thursday-Saturday 11am-3am. Located in URI Emporium has a variety of sandwiches, wraps, salads, strombolis and calzones. You can order online through HungryRhody.com or by delivery.
- International Steakhouse, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1 (401) 792-0190. Sun-Wed 10am-12am Thurs-Sat 10am-3am. Specializes in delicatessens and sandwiches.
- Simply Thai, 99 Fortin Road, ☎ +1 (401) 5153571. Mon-Sun 11am-9pm. Available through delivery and takeout.
- Holiday Inn, 3009 Tower Hill Road, South, ☎ (401) 789-1051, . There are no major hotels/motels directly in Kingston. However, there are many just five minutes away in South Kingstown and Narragansett. The Closest hotel to the town of Kingston would be the Holiday Inn. Excellent location (distance to local beaches and historic Newport.)
- Kingston Free Library, 2605 Kingstown Rd, Kingston (On Route 138) ☎ (401) 783-8254. It was previously a county court house; it also served as one of the five original state houses. The hours vary and change depending on holidays. There is a decent selection of books, though it is not as large as the Peace Dale Library, there are also some movies and music.