*[[Islamorada]] has some decent dive bars.
*[[Islamorada]] has some decent dive bars.
| || |
Revision as of 21:24, 6 December 2012
Key Largo  is an island in the Florida Keys.
The weather is subtropical, with occasional cool weather in wintertime bringing temps to the upper 30sF.
Fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Chauffeured transportation is expensive. Renting a car is best.
From Miami, take Florida's Turnpike south to US Route 1. Take US 1 to Key Largo. Note that the toll roads no longer allow you to pay cash, however, you can register your car online in order to use the toll roads. Rental cars are equipped with transponders, but fees vary by company.
Key Largo does not lend itself to bikes or walking. Although there is a bike path, it runs just alongside the highway, and as such would not be the most relaxing (or pleasant) of rides. Most shops are along the highway, and as such the main drag has something of a strip-mall feel (for the most part, the water is not visible from the highway).
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, , Main Boat Tours & Reservations: (305) 451-6300, General Info: (305) 451-1202 (Front Gate), Camping Information: (800) 326-3521, Group Tour Reservations (15+ people): (305) 451-6316, Boat Slips & Mooring Rates: (305) 451-6325. Visitor Center, fishing, swimming, picnicking, snorkeling, scuba, rentals, camping.
Key Largo is known as a diving Mecca, and many dive companies operate from here, taking large numbers of people to the reefs. In addition, other water-related activities like snorkeling, touring on a glass bottom boat or casino boat, parasailing, and fishing are all popular activities here. On land, motorcycle riding is popular, with rentals available.
- reef roamer snorkel catamaran, mm 100 key largo fl, 33037, ☎ 305 453 0110, . 8 - 6. Come snorkeling in John Pennekamp Park with Reef Roamer and Quicksilver catamarans. Three snorkel trips daily 9, 12:30, and 5:30. Sunset sails with free champagne and rum punch. $22 and up.
John Pennekamp Park also has kayaks for rent, with routes ranging from 30 minutes to 2 or more hours.
The Keys have a large Cuban population, so in addition to the obvious (fish), be sure to try some Cuban food (or coffee). Many restaurants have excellent seaside seating with amazing views. In addition to the offerings below, neighbouring Islamorada has the excellent Marker 88 (located at mile marker 88) seaside restaurant.
- Buzzards Roost Restaurant, 21 Garden Cove Dr., +1 305 453-3746. 
- Cafe Largo/Bayside Grill, 99530 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-4885.
The food is very good. The service is enthusiastic and the staff has personality.
- Caribbean Club, +1 305 451-4466.
- Coconuts Restaurant & Lounge, +1 305 453-9794. 
- Crack'd Conch Restaurant, 105045 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-0732. 
- DJ'S Diner, 99411 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-2999.
- Fish House Restaurant, +1 305 451-4665. 
- Fish Tales Cafe, 10344 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-0507, fax: +1 305 451-0517. 
- Flamingo Seafood Restaurant, 45 Garden Cove Dr., +1 305 451-8022. 
- Ice Cream Shoppe, 101431 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-3334.
- Key Largo Coffee House, 100211 Overseas Hwy, 1 305 453-4844. 
- Mrs. Mac's Kitchen, 99336 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-3722 
- Num Thai Rest. & Sushi, 103200 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-5955. Great sushi, friendly and very local.
- Senor Frijoles/Sundowners, 103900 Overseas Hwy, 451-1592.
- Upper Crust Pizza, 101611 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-4188.
- Pilot House Restaurant, 13 Seagate Boulevard Key Largo, FL 33037, ☎ 305 451-3142, . Notable for its 'glass bottom bar', where you can watch the fish swim underneath you while you eat. Children (and the young-at-heart) can feed the fish over the side. If you get lucky, you might see a dolphin.
- Islamorada has some decent dive bars.
- Gus' Grille, 103800 Overseas Highway (MM 103.8), ☎ 866-849-3753, . 7AM-11PM. Join us in our award-winning restaurant where the Executive Chef shops daily for the finest and freshest ingredients available to create their "Floribbean" specialties. Don't miss our incredible homemade dessert selection. The sunset is a must-see! Our professional and friendly staff awaits the opportunity to serve you. $$.
- Jules’ Undersea Lodge, 51 Shoreland Drive (Key Largo Undersea Park), ☎ ''+1'' 305-451-2353 ([email protected], fax: ''+1'' 305-451-2353), . This underwater hotel is 21 feet below the surface. Sleeps up to six. $350+/night..
- Key Largo Grande Resort & Beach Club, A Hilton Resort, 97000 South Overseas Highway (Key Largo, FL 33037), ☎ 888-871-3437, . Newly renovated and nestled on 13 acres of lush hardwood forestry along the Gulf of Mexico.
- Keys Tree House- Vacation Rentals, Mile Marker 95, ☎ 954-658-7986, . Somewhat secluded, and private.
- Diver's Cove, 95351 Overseas Highway, ☎ 305-852-5312 ([email protected]), . Very easy-going small resort with boat ramp, dockage & tikis.
- Ocean Point, 500 Burton Drive, 800-882-9464, 
- Ramada, 99751 Overseas Hwy, +1 305-451-3939, .
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Camping Information: (800) 326-3521.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!