Kemerovo OblastWestern Siberia : Kemerovo Oblast
|Currency||Russian Ruble (Pуб.)|
|Religion||Russian Orthodox 34.1%, Non-Religious Spirituality 31%, Atheist 17%, Other 17.9%|
|Electricity||220V/60Hz (European plug)|
|Time Zone||UTC +7|
Kemerovo Oblast (Russian: Ке́меровская о́бласть KYEHM-eer-uhf-skuh-yuh OH-blust’) is a region in Western Siberia, which borders Altai Krai to the southwest, Novosibirsk Oblast to the west, Tomsk Oblast to the north, Krasnoyarsk Krai to the northeast, Khakassia to the east, and Altai Republic to the south.
- Kemerovo — the capital and second largest city
- Anzhero-Sudzhensk — a mid-sized coal city on the Trans-Siberian Railway
- Mariinsk -- the second oldest city and the center of beresta craftswork.
- Novokuznetsk — the region's largest and oldest city is also the center of the coal mining industry and the site of Dostoevsky's marriage
- Tashtagol a town in the southern Gornaya Shoria region, which serves as a base for skiing in the area's mountains
- Yaya — a small town on the Trans-Siberian notable only for its name, Яя, which holds the undisputed title of the dead last place name in Russian alphabetical order
- Sheregesh- the all-Russia ski resort in Gornaya Shoriya.
- Kuznetsky Alatau Nature Reserve.
- Shorsky National Park.
By Siberian standards, Kemerovo Oblast is populous, urban, and industrialized. It lies in the heart of the "Kuzbass" (Kuznets Basin) region, home to the world's largest deposits of coal. Accordingly, most of Kemerovo Oblast's cities developed because of economic opportunities related to the coal industry. As a result, the region's cities are often quite polluted, although the situation has improved since the fall of the USSR. Visitors to the region's cities will find them busy, but not significant tourist attractions in and of themselves. But this is all the more reason to get out into the beautiful and unspoilt (and uninhabited) Siberian countryside!
Russian is the only dish on the menu.
- Horseback Riding
- Alpine Sports
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|