Minibus/van (marshutni) from Yerevan or Goris if you come from the north. Similar minibuses are serving Meghri and further across international border to Iran from the south. Hiring a car, or taxi, or renting one is a good option too. A fascinating journey from Yerevan will take around 4 to 5 hours (with stop-over) and will cost approximately 80 USD by taxi or car.
Except for a small area in the city center, you must have a car to get very far, or a lot of time to bike or walk.
There isn't a great deal to see in the town itself. The shuka and nearby supermarkets are the best places to load up on supplies before travel in the area. In town is the statue of Davit Bek, a local hero, and there is the small fortress of Halidzor on top of a hill on the western edge of town.
- Baghaberd Fortress, (12 west of Kapan). This is one of Armenia's most picturesque fortresses, especially if photographed from the small hill behind it. A cool fortress with a colorful story. edit
- Shikahogh State Preserve. Continuing south from Kapan on the new (not old!) highway towards Meghri, you pass through Shikahogh, which includes Mtnadzor Canyon, with one of the most pristine forests in Armenia. edit
There is a small amusement park in the center of town, with cheap rides, and lots of locals out enjoying themselves. Being slightly off the main tourist destinations, Kapan is a tranquil and quiet city.
Walk one of the ecohiking trails that connect Tatev to Kapan. These have recently been marked and mapped by ARK Armenia.
There are a few places to eat in town, including the Darist Hotel.
- Darist Hotel, 1a Aram Manoukyan Str., Kapan, ☎ (+374 285) 52662, 28262, 28232, (091) 210779, (091) 210779. Great location if you want to walk around and explore town a bit, the rooms can be hit or miss, especially considering the price. The restaurant is a convenient if uninspired place to eat, regardless of whether you sleep there or not. 14-50,000/room. edit
- Hotel Lernagorts, 2 K. Demirtchyan Str., Kapan, ☎ (+374 285) 62086, 68039. Amenities: hot, cold water in Luxe and de-luxe rooms, in other rooms - cold water only, TV set, radio, no central heating 3-12,000. edit
- Ark Camp and Permaculture Gardens, Azatmartikneri Street (on the road to Baghaburj Village, just before the entrance to the War Memorial), ☎ +374 93812683 or +374 98887894, . Amenities: Proper bathroom, with faucet and toilet, shower, kitchen area, with dishes + camping stove, permaculture gardens TENT: 3000 AMD/Person/Night. Microcabin: 3000 AMD/Person/Night. Mudhut: 4000 AMD/Person/Night. edit
Same options as getting in, although you can catch a local bus heading towards nearby villages such as Shikahogh, Srashen, Tsav or Shishkert.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!|