Kanab  is a small town in the Canyon Country region of the state of Utah, in the United States of America. It is famous for its past use as a backdrop for many famous western movies as well as a good base for exploring the surrounding area. It is also well known as the home of Best Friends Animal Society. Destinations within driving distance include Zion National Park and the north rim of the Grand Canyon as well as Las Vegas.
There is not a bus route or trail route going through Kanab, but there is a small airport. You can fly into Las Vegas (4-5 hour drive) or Salt Lake City (5+ hour drive) on the major airlines. Some commuter airlines serve St. George, Utah (2+ hour drive).
- Kanab Airport, 2378 S. Hwy 89 A.
Walking to the shops and movie theatre on Main Street is a popular pastime for tourists. The "Gazebo" located on the church lawn, directly across the road from the theatre hosts live entertainment most summer nights. Walking down the road past most of the hotels is the Kane County Office of Tourism and next door is the Crescent Moon Theatre. The Adobe Fitness Center is across the highway from the theatre. Most things tourists want are right on the main road within walking distance.
Kanab Historic District
Kanab Downtown area walking map
- 1 - The one story, brick Sixtus Johnson House was built in a 1891 brick house. Johnsons, grandfather discovered Zion Canyon in 1858.
- 2 - The victorian style Heritage House was the home of the 1855 school teacher, Bowman. The Heritage House is on the National Register and has been restored as it was when first built and relics from the past adorn the walls. Summer Tours: 9-12 and 1-5PM daily.
- 3 - The unique Rider-Pugh House was built in 1892.
- 4 - Another Pugh Home, this one built in 1906 using the stone of his father's home for the foundation. Edward Pugh was the man who built the first rock house outside of Fort Kanab.
- 5 - The Lewis Jepson Home had one of the only two bathtubs in town. That home had to be the envy of all. Jepson built the first movie picture theatre in Kanab. That building was the Wok Inn and is now a western restaurant.
- 6 - The Bowman & Co. Building was a general store and is one of the oldest standing buildings in town. Built in 1892 by Bowman $ Co. This building is one of the oldest buildings in Kanab. It was built in 1892, by H.E.Bowman & Co. It originally housed a general store. Today the building is the Cedar Post Pawn Shop.
- 7 - The 1929 built Kanab Hotel is now Terry's Camera Trading Company. Many old time movie stars spent their nights in the lodging.
Kane County Office of Tourism.
- Kane County Office of Tourism - The visitor center is located right on the main street. Besides travel info they have a lot of information on movies filmed in the Kanab area.
- Grand Staircase-Escalante Visitor Center
- Western Legends Round-up, . Be a cowboy for a weekend.
- Best Friends Animal Society, . The Nation's largest sanctuary (~3,800 acres and 1,500-2,000 animals at any given time) for companion animals including dogs, cats, bunnies, birds, horses, donkeys, mules, goats, pigs, and a few others. This is a remarkable place that will impress any pet lover. You can visit and take tours through the facilities seven days a week, reservations may be needed. They have accommodations for overnight stays, reservations need to be made well in advance, and opportunities for you to work as a volunteer in the animal areas, volunteer commitments can be as short as 1/2 day or less.
- Greyhound Gathering
- Kanab Heritage House
- Little Hollywood Movie Museum at Frontier Movie Town, . The free Little Hollywood Movie Museum , a 501 (c)(3) tax exempt non profit, exhibits a collection of actual movie sets as the centerpiece of its exploration of how the sleepy little town of Kanab became the back lot for movies like The Outlaw Josey Wales, Planet Of The Apes & Stagecoach and a haunt for Hollywood stars like Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Charleton Heston, Clint Eastwood and more recently, Kiefer Sutherland and Willem Dafoe. Both on the big screen and on TV in such classics as The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke and Lassie, Southern Utah defines the way we see the American West.
The Museum is set behind Frontier Movie Town, a gift shop focused on Made in the USA merchandise.
297 W. Center Street. 435-644-5337. Look for the big white horse at the end of Center Street.
Open everyday from 9 a.m. to 9.p.m. March - November
Call for winter hours
- Roads End Guided Tours, . This crew will take you on all terrain jeep adventures to slot canyons, an underground lake, hidden arches, Indian ruins, and petroglyphs
- Dreamland Safari Tours,  Jeep tours to local areas.
- Canyon Country Outback Tours,  Jeep tours to local areas.
- Kanab Golf Course .
- Hike Kanab Creek, 
- Hike Buckskin Gulch, 
Main Street shops in Kanab.
Kanab is a good place to stock up on supplies for camping. There are two small grocery stores, several c-stores and a sporting goods store just off the main road.
Willow Creek Books - Coffee - Outdoor Gear The best coffee in town. 263 South 100 East,
Nature's Showcase, 288 West Center, is a fun rock shop. It pays to hunt amongst the knickknacks to find the special rocks and items that come from local sources. They have a good selection of local raw materials for cutting, polishing, or tumbling.
Denny's Wigwam, located on the main street, and one of the largest gift stores in town.
The Mayor's House, unique and worth the visit. (when it's actually open!)
- Frontier Movie Town, 297 W. Center St. (See the White Horse), ☎ 435-644-5337, . 9-9. Frontier Movie Town is a gift shop focused on Made in the USA merchandise including fair trade Native American Arts and Jewelry, Stetson Hats and Abilene boots. From fine gifts to fun souvenirs Frontier Movie Town offers a great selection at fair prices. There are big clean restrooms, snacks, drinks and a grassy picnic area. Kid and pet friendly. Whether you have 15 minutes or over an hour, it's a fun place to stop. It is also the location of the Little Hollywood Movie Museum. Free.
- Escobars, 373 East 300, Mexican Restaurant. Best food in town at a great price. This family owned restaurant is not much to look at but its a locals favorite.
- The Rocking V Cafe  offers top-class cuisine in small-town Kanab - right on Kanab's historic Main Street. From Buffalo and seafood to eclectic vegetarian dishes, they have something for everyone. The Rafters Gallery upstairs displays all sorts of interesting local art for sale, or just to view. This is another favorite with the locals because of the unique food offered.
- Houston's, 32 East Center,  is a comfortable, family friendly restaurant with good American food. The servers sling pistols along with house-aged beef and their famous chicken fried steak, so be nice.
- Nedra's Too, 310 South 100 East,  is a Southwestern restaurant that specializes in Arizona Style cooking. Their Navajo Taco is a great regional dish that is kind of like a tostada served on Navajo flat bread.
Grandma Tina's Restaurant on Main Street in Kanab
- Grandma Tina's Italian Restaurant American style restaurant serving breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner 198 South 100 East
- Junction Drive-In Right next door to Mc Donalds. Family owned Drive-In serving fast foods. 185 East 300 South Kanab
- Parry Lodge Restaurant 89 East Center Street  A historic hotel and restaurant. American style family restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & dinner. Noted as the eating place of the stars.
- Lotsa-Motsa Pizza Across the road from Mc Donalds
- Linda Lea's 4 East Center, A Espresso Cafe serving baked goods, made in house from scratch! The only homemade crossiant for miles! They usually have a special drink each month that is of an interesting concoction that is very delicious! they are open at 7 and close around 2.
Of course, you're not going to Kanab for the nightlife, but if you're ready to belly-up, head across the border on 89 to the Buckskin Tavern in Fredonia (Arizona), "the longest bar in Arizona," and the only bar for miles. The Rocking V also has cocktails.
There is a state liquor store in town, located next the police station and across the road from the Kane County Tourism Center.
Historic Parry Lodge on Main Street
Kanab has a variety of accommodations from ranches and western-motif B&Bs to Holiday Inn and Super 8 Motels. Most of the hotels are located on the main road, Highway 89.
- Best Western Red Hills, 125 W Center Street, +1 435 644-2675, Fax: +1 435 644-5919, .
- Holiday Inn Express, 815 East Hwy. 89, +1 435 644-8888, .
- Victorian Charm Inn,190 North Highway 89, +1 800 738-9643, .
- Bob-Bon Inn, 236 Highway 89 North, +1 800 644-5094, .
- Aikens Lodge, 79 W Center, +1 435 644-2625, .
- Color Country Inn, 1550 S Hwy 89A, +1 800 644-2269, .
- Coral Cliff Town Homes,South Fairway Drive, +1 435 644-5059, .
- Flo's Place, 42 S. Main, +1 435 689-0637, .
- Four Seasons Motel,36 N. 300 W., +1 435 644-2635, .
- Kanab Theatre Motel, 29 W. Center, +1 435 644-2625, .
- Kanab Cottages, Kanab City, +1 866 648-3001 .
- Mule Shoe Inn B & B,898 Grand Canyon Drive, +1 435 644-3372 .
- Parry Lodge, 89 E. Center, +1 800 748-4104 .
- Quail Park Lodge, 125 Highway 89, +1 866 702-8099 .
- Red Mountain Home, 1016 Kanab Creek Drive, +1 707 616-1533 .
- Redrock Country Inn, 330 S. 100 E., +1 435 644-8774 .
- Shilo Inn, 296 W. 100 N., +1 800 222-2244, .
- Sun n' San Motel, 347 S. 100 E., +1 800 654-1868, .
- Super 8 Motel, 70 S. 200 E., +1 800 800-8000, .
- Traveler's Motel, 544 E. 300 S., +1 435 644-2228, .
- Treasure Trail Motel, 150 W. Center, +1 800 603-2687, .
- Water Wheel House, 327 W los Barancos Ln, +1 435 767-0960, .
Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Visitor Center in Kanab
Kanab lies in the southern reaches of Canyon Country in Utah. Here are some of the nearby highlights:
Other attractions in the area include:
- Pipe Spring National Monument. To the southwest in Arizona, on US-89A and SR-389. A mormon settlement at a spring in the middle of the desert.
- The North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which sees far fewer visitors than the South Rim. South of Kanab on US-89A and SR-67.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!