Kalimpong is in Kalimpong district in the northern part of West Bengal, India.
Shared Jeeps are plentiful from Darjeeling; just go to the Kalimpong office in the Motor Stand (this is a little tricky to find as it’s hidden down a dark passage – ask around!). It is definitely worth getting a front seat as jeeps tend to be filled to the brim and there’s very little leg room in the back rows.
Fewer jeeps go from Siliguri, NJP and Gangtok.
Every hour or less North Bengal State Transport bus go to/from Siliguri/NJP. Their bus is relatively new and modern and has more legroom than Jeeps.
Reserved cars are available from Kings Travels dial-09830428401/09331939486.
One can roam around the town, or take a tour or go trekking. There are some really interesting places to visit such as Gauripur House (home of the great Bengali poet Ravindra Nath Tagore), Mangal Dham a temple, Deolo the highest point in Kalimpong offering a guest house with spectacular vistas. Biking is possible as the the traffic is not intense and its really enjoyable to view the beautiful scenery, and the kindhearted people living in the outskirts.
There is very little to see in the town except to wander around and enjoy the lack of tourists Darjeeling is plagued with. There are a number of religious sites to see, including the Catholic church and Zong Dhog Palri Fo Brang monastery which, after a pleasant 2km walk from town commands wonderful views of Kalimpong and the mountains. Dr Graham's Homes, a school perched on the Deolo hill, is a must-visit for the Scottish architecture of its buildings and the pleasantness of the huge campus.
- Deolo Hill. One of the numerous hill destinations that warrant a visit. A picnic spot with a tourist lodge, run by the Department of Tourism. Offers an early morning view of the Kanchenjunga massif.
- Golf Course. A must-visit. A golf course so beautiful is rarely seen.
- Cactus Nursery. A good place to go. Do not miss to check out the Tequila plant out there
- Tashi Takgye(Colour House), 10th Mile, Rishi Road (Near Power Station), ☎ 9434007076. A huge collection of Items at unbelievable prices.
- Reshi Retreat & Farmhouse (2000ft), Reshi, Pedong, Kalimpong (RKalimpong- Pedong towards Renock in East Sikkim), ☎ 09641191669.
- Dr Graham's Homes (Homes), (4.5 km from the main town), . Dr Graham's Homes is a school established in 1900 by the Scottish missionary Dr Anderson Graham for the destitute Eurasian children of the region. The beautiful school is spread over 500 acres and has separate cottages for the students, most of them built in the Scottish style, bakery, swimming pool, guest houses and much more. Tourists can spend hours exploring parts of the campus and talking to the friendly students and staffers of the school.
- Kalimpong is beginning to form a small hiking industry – look around for flyer's in hotels etc for local tour operators.
You can shop around in the few touristy shops in the main bazaar. Don't hesitate to bargain -- you can haggle quite a bit if you want to. Or if you are adventurous, just walk a bit more to the wholesale market (just around the corner from the main street). Its fixed price, but you won't get a better deal anywhere else in town. To buy clothes all you have to do is to visit R.C, Mintri road full of marwadis, and you just can't stop yourself from purchasing for yourself something that is made for you. Don't leave Kalimpong without tasting locally made lollipops.
Tashi Takgye (Colour House) 03552-256897/9434007076, at 10th Mile, Rishi Road, near Power Station(about 1km from main city center) for shopping. This is a fixed price shop with extremely reasonable prices. You can get paintings, statues, wall hanging, knives, porcelain, crystal, thankhas, dragons, items made from bone, masks, souvenirs, etc. It's the wholesale supplier/importer/exporter for the northern region. Prices here are usually 2-3 times cheaper than anywhere else in the region.
The best place for Chinese food, is China Garden, tucked in near the bus stop. They make a great Mei Foon and their Chicken Drumsticks are worth the inevitable queue during tourist season. A tip, though. Hit the place before 8PM as this city shuts down early.
For Indian Food and a Drink head to The Soods Garden Retreat,open till 10.p.m or The Sana Hill Top (For Indian & local food) Near EME Officers' Mess
For the best momo, it's Gompu's - you can also get a very decent lunch or dinner at this place. The place stays open until 9PM. For veg momos you should visit Sagar,Evergreen(on the main road),Unique, Shikhar, Mohan Daju and all the hawkers (thela walas).
You'd miss something if you didn't spare time for a quiet, very British afternoon cuppa at Himalayan Hotel.
A good place for affordable drinks and food is King Thai.
Kalimpong produces the only aged cheese made in India. It's delicious: the texture of a hard European cheese and a mild, almost parmesan-like flavour
There are a few bars in town, or just buy something from the liquor shop around the main stand near the bazaar.
- Melting Point, Opp. Kanchan Hall, ☎ 00919593888088. Coming up new hangout place in town, branch of the Melting Point Pelling, West Sikkim
- Homestay Trinity, Off Seva Sadan Road (10 minute walk from Kalimpong Motor Stand. Walk Towards Seva Sadan Hospital), ☎ +91 9475583660 ([email protected]), . " If you want to live the unstaged and authentic local life; this is the place. The rooms are spacious, clean and well lit. It also has an audio room, a reading room and offers a chance to take part in some agriculture and gardening. $50 to $85.
- The Sillery Sojourn (6500 ft), Sillerygaon (23 kms from Kalimpong (Approx 45 mins) on the Old Silk Route. From Kalimpong, come till 20Mile on the Reshi Road and then take the left diversion to Sillerygaon), ☎ +91 9903295920 ([email protected], fax: +91 33 26270886), . checkin: 10:30 hrs; checkout: 10:00hrs. "This is an India Beacons Sojourn initiative at promoting village eco-tourism at Sillerygaon. One can have an excellent view of the Kanchendzonga massif from the cottages. Ramitey View Point, providing an excellent view of the river Teesta below with its 14 meanders as well as the Kanchendzonga above, is a 15 minutes trek from the cottages. Damsang Fort, the only fort in the Darjeeling District is also a 20 minutes trek from the cottages.Pickup and drop facility available from Kalimpong @ Rs.1500 per vehicle one way and NJP/Bagdogra @ Rs.3500 per vehicle (Rates As on 15.11.2012). Travel services is also provided for the entire Old Silk Route. Rs. 2500 per cottage on twin sharing basis, Extra person Charges @ 850INR per person. Full board Food @ 350INR per person extra.02 Cottages can accommodate a max of 04 persons in each of the cottages.
- The Sana Hill Top (4400 ft.). The Sana Hill Top is the second Hotel after The Sana Beach - Mandarmoni of The Sana Group Hotels. Situated at the top of a hill."180 degree view of snow peaks including Kanchenjunga". It's a luxury Hotel at Budget Price. Try to make reservation from Kolkata (033 25301030). Full board is available as well as services like arranging local tours . Direction to reach : Kalimpong Police Stn. - Upper Cart Road - EME Officers' Mess - The Sana Hill Top (2 KM away from Down Town)
- Holumba Guest House. One of the better deals in town. It is a botanical garden boasting exotic orchids with guest cottages. Full board is available as well as many services including arranging tours of the local area. Rs. 500-2000.
- Morgan House, (3km away from Downtown. Taxi fare from the market to Morgan House is Rs 40 one way or you can just walk). It's the government tourist lodge, and you can get reservations from Calcutta and stay in this mansion from the 1930s, though there are reports that the quality is waning.
- The Reshi Retreat & Farmhouse (2000ft), Reshi, Pedong, Kalimpong (Kalimpong- Pedong- towards Renock in East Sikkim), ☎ 09641191669. "The Reshi Retreat& Farmhouse" is a retreat in real sense. Away from the maddening crowd situated on the banks of Reshi river, 37 kilometers from Kalimpong town,on the West Bengal-Sikkim border.It is an ideal place for weekend breaks, to rejuvenate your spirits fagged down by regular drudgery. Reshi Retreat and Farmhouse is involved with Agri-Eco and Adventure Tourism. The historical importance of the place is it falls on the original Silk-Route that connected India with Tibet of yesteryear(s). Trekking, fishing, adventure camping,conducting retreats,sight seeing and farm activities make up the regular itinerary. For bookings and other details contact: RYAN:9832372070 NORDEN:9641191669.
- Flower Patch, Malli Road (Melli Road) (go downhill from the clock tower), ☎ +91 9832081383, . Homestay in a hidden nature. The main business is a flower orchard and has beautiful garden. only ten minute walk from busy centre. only two rooms available. Rs 500-600.
- Dello - 6km
- Rikkisum - 20km
- Lava - 35km
- Rishop - 27km
- Darjeeling - 50km
- The town of Pedong, an hour by taxi (RS 300), is a real off-the-track destination. The town's main monastery is over 150 years old, and can act as a base for hikes through the hills and surrounding villages.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!