Kalamazoo  is a city in Southwestern Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 77,145, with a metropolitan area of 452,851, which includes neighboring Battle Creek. It is the county seat of Kalamazoo County.
The city has a strong higher education presence, being home to Western Michigan University (with 25,000 students), Kalamazoo College (a private, liberal arts institution), and Kalamazoo Valley Community College.
Because of the large number of shopping malls in Kalamazoo (including the first downtown pedestrian mall in America), it is nicknamed the "Mall City."
The Kalamazoo-Battle Creek International Airport serves the area. Major connections include Atlanta (Delta), Chicago (American Airlines), Cincinnati (Delta), Detroit (Northwest), and Pittsburgh (US Air).
Kalamazoo lies on I-94 roughly mid-way between Chicago and Detroit. US Highway 131 connects the city with Grand Rapids and resort areas further north.
Amtrak offers service to Chicago and Ann Arbor/Detroit several times daily. A train ride to Chicago is about 2.5 hours.
The downtown train station also acts as a bus station. Major destinations include Grand Rapids, Chicago and Detroit.
- Western Michigan University, 
- Kalamazoo College, 
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College, 
- State Theater, 404 South Burdick, (269) 345-6500, . Popular concert venue.
- Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, 
- Kalamazoo Valley Museum, 230 North Rose Street, 269-373-7990, 
- Theatre Kalamazoo, 
- Kalamazoo Nature Center, 7000 N Westnedge Ave., (269) 381-1574, 
- Kalamazoo Arts Council, 
Kalamazoo is full of great events, featuring everything from Hot Rods to Pianos. Discover Kalamazoo has a fairly comprehensive list of annual happenings, but don't miss Super Saturday in June, New Year's Fest or the USTA Boys National Championship in August.
For a small city, Kalamazoo also offers an interesting and walkable Downtown, with one-of-a-kind shops, restaurants and the free Kalamazoo Valley Museum.
Nearby, you will find the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, Binder Park Zoo, and the Gilmore Car Museum.
- Crossroads Mall, 6650 S. Westnedge (Take I-94 to Exit 78 Southbound. Continue down Westnedge, go through many sets of lights, turn right when you see signs for THE CROSSROADS), . A 100+ store, two story regional shopping center featuring Sears, Macy's, JCPenney, and Burlington Coat Factory, traditional mall chains, and specialty retailers. Also features a food court with numerous restaurants.
- Southland Mall, Corner of Westnedge and Milham (From I-94, take exit 78 southbound, head south until you hit Milham Ave., mall is on right.). A major strip mall over 1 mile long featuring major clothing and specialty stores. Reailers include Old Navy, Circuit City, Kohls, TJMaxx, Charter One Bank, Tuesday Morning, Barnes & Noble, ULTA, OfficeMax, MC Sports, Petco, Hallmark, and numerous bars/ restaurants.
- Maple Hill Pavilion, West Main St. (Take US-131 to the West Main Exit (Head Eastbound Into Kalamazoo), go down West Main a little ways, mall is on your left). A formerly enclosed shopping mall, now a strip mall. Features many big-box retailers, anchored by Target.
- South Westnedge Shopping District, Westnedge Ave. from Cork to Shaver (Exit 78 off I-94). Starting at Cork Street in Kalamazoo all the way through Shaver Road, one can find almost anything they need along Westnedge. With 1000+ retailers located in numerous strip malls, Westnedge has it all. From big box retailers to specialty shops, including restaurants, bars, and bakeries, you can get it all here.
- Rasa Ria, 1921 W Main St, Kalamazoo MI. Phone: (269) 381-0788. The only Malaysian and Indonesian restaurant in town. In fact, it is one of the few ethnic restaurants in Kalamazoo. Reasonably priced and the 'nasi goreng kampung' is a must try.
- West Main Shopping District, West Main St (West Main Exit, US-131). A mini version of the Westnedge district, the major chains usually have a location around here.
- Bell's Brewery / Eccentric Café & Beer Garden, +1-269-382-2338  Local brews, live music. Bell's was one of the first "micro-breweries" east of the Rockies in the 1980s, and their popular line of ales and stouts are also available in many local bars.
- Kraftbrau Brewery,  Provides craft beers and entertainment with a wide variety of acts both international and local. (The Kraftbrau closed Nov. 2007 due to increased rent, but as of early 2008 is in search of a new building.)
- Clarion Kalamazoo Hotel, 3600 E. Cork St., Tel: (269) 385-3922, Fax: (269) 385-2747, . Upscale six-story facility with 156 deluxe guest rooms - located halfway between Detroit and Chicago, on I-94 at exit 80 and just minutes from US-131. Secure Online Reservations.
- Quality Inn, 3820 Sprinkle Rd. Tel: (269) 381- , Fax: (269) 381-5334, . Conveniently located off of I-94 @ exit 80 - 1/4 mile south of I-94 on Sprinkle Road next to McDonald's. Near several restaurants, malls, museums and recreational facilities as well as most area businesses.
- Radisson Plaza Hotel Kalamazoo, 100 West Michigan Ave., Reservations: (800) 333-3333 Telephone: (269) 343-3333 Fax: (269) 381-1560, . With a prime downtown Kalamazoo location close to shopping, theater and museums, the Radisson Plaza Hotel Kalamazoo offers the kind of warm hospitality, inviting atmosphere and topnotch services sure to please business and leisure travelers alike. At the Radisson Plaza Hotel Kalamazoo, our highest priority is the genuine care and comfort of our guests. Our mission is to provide the finest personalized service and facilities, ensuring a memorable experience.
- Stuart Avenue Inn, . a guest house and events center located in the prestigious Stuart Area Historic District.
- Henderson Castle, . one of Kalamazoo's most notable landmarks. It is a one-of-a-kind destination designed to enthrall, delight, and welcome each guest.
- Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, 3630 E. Cork St (From I-94 Take Exit 80. If coming from the west, turn left, at the next right turn left again. If coming from the east, turn left and then head straight on Cork. Hotel is on left around the bend.), ☎ 269-373-0770, . checkin: 3:00; checkout: 12:00 Noon. Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kalamzoo. We are Located off Interstate 94, exit 80 followed by a left turn onto Cork Street. We are only minutes from downtown, K-Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo County Expo Center & Fairground, as well as the awesome full-motion flight simulators at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. We have recently upgraded our complementary breakfast to a deluxe hot breakfast. Enjoy warm buttermilk biscuits, one fluffy egg selection, one sizzling meat selection, and our trademark, mouth watering cinnamon rolls. Our guest rooms feature Charter Cable with over 70 channels including HBO for your viewing pleasure. We offer soft and firm pillows, WiFi, high-speed Internet, and personal voicemail in all guest rooms. Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Kalmazoo. 106.00 In Advance.
The Lake Michigan resort towns of South Haven and Saugatuck-Douglas are about an hour west of Kalamazoo. Gull Lake (NE) and Gun Lake (North) are clear, spring-fed lakes of over 1000 acres each. Each offers boating and water-sports opportunities. Gull Lake has sailboat races on weekends.