Sandton  is an affluent suburb and business centre in Johannesburg.
It is home to the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (the largest in Africa and the twelfth largest in the world), a number of large financial institutions (including local head offices for some foreign banks) and the largest shopping centre in South Africa.
Sandton rising above the urban forest
From O.R. Tambo International Airport, after you exit the airport, follow R24 Johannesburg signs and the R24 to the Gillooly's Interchange, from here follow the N3 North towards Pretoria, take exit 124 (Sandton/M60 Marlboro Drive) turning left into Marlboro Drive, follow Marlboro Drive until the T-junction with Katherine Street, turn left into Katherine Street, and follow Katherine Street into Sandton.
From the M1, take exit 23 (Sandton/M40 Grayston Drive) or exit 26 (Sandton/M60 Marlboro Dr), and follow Marlboro Drive west until the T junction with Katherine Street (400 m), and turn left at Katherine Street into Sandton.
From the N1, take exit 100 (Sandton/M9 Rivonia Road) and follow Rivonia Road south towards Sandton or exit 95 (Sandton/R511 Williiam Nicol Drive) and follow south until it intersects with Sandton Drive, where you turn left.
Rush hour traffic during the week can make getting into and out of Sandton a painfully slow business; you will be wise to avoid 7AM-9AM and 4PM-7PM.
Note that there is extensive Gautrain related construction happening in the Sandton area, specifically around the intersection of West and Rivonia Roads where then new train station is being build. Road diversions are in effect from time to time. The official Gautrain website  contains up-to-date road closure and blasting information.
Renting a car is your best option if you are a confident driver as the city's public transport is very, very limited. It is worth buying a good road map of Johannesburg, using a GPS (available when you rent a car) and planning your trips carefully before setting out. The city is large and somewhat poorly signposted. Make sure to be exceptionally clear with your rental agency what types of things are covered by their insurance plans. The phrase ``Full coverage doesn't necessarily mean full coverage.
Like any big city, there are some areas of Johannesburg that you don't want to stray into if you look like a tourist or dont have enough fuel to get out of. Ask advice. If in doubt, stop at a police station and ask them for directions.
From the airport: Stay on the freeway between the airport and Sandton, and don't divert through the townships and Alexandra on London Road. A GPS following the fastest route will usually divert around the townships, but it pays to know where you are going. (If you are coming from the airport and you are afraid of getting this wrong, carry on past Marlboro Drive with the N3 (which becomes the N1) until you reach Rivonia road. Then turn left/south and this will take you straight into Sandton, bypassing any townships.)
- First Car Rental (Car Hire), ☎ +27 11 230 9999 ([email protected]), . Car rentals in Sandton and OR Tambo International Airport.
- Pace Car Rental (Car Hire), 34 14th Street, Marlboro , Sandton, ☎ 011 262 5500 or 087 808 2542 ([email protected]), . Long Term Car Rentalin Johannesburg South Africa.
- Europcar Car Hire (Car Hire), ☎ (011) 883-4352 ([email protected]), . Car rentals in Sandton and Johannesburg Airport.
- Exeque Car Rental (Car Hire), No: 3 cnr Yster and First Rd Bartlett Boksburg, ☎ (010) 235-0898 or 083 693 4531 ([email protected]), . Cash Car Rental Cheap Cash Car Rentals in Sandton and Johannesburg South Africa.
- ResQ Rent A Car (Car Hire Johannesburg), De Marionette Centre, Michelle Avenue, Meyersdal, Alberton, Johannesburg, ☎ +27 11 867 6552 ([email protected]), . Car Hire Johannesburg, South Africa.
By metered taxi
Taxis can be found at entrance 12 to Sandton City. Metered cabs can also be hired by calling Sandton Taxi Cabs at +2711 039 4402 or Safecab at +27 (0)861 66-55-66. It is illegal for metered taxis to be hailed as is seen in many other cities (e.g. in New York City). Passengers may catch taxis only if booked (in person or by telephone), the only exception being in demarcated metered taxi zones.
Several main Metrobus routes serve the Sandton area, running regularly during the day in 30 minto 60 min intervals, as well as in the early evening. The 5C also runs regularly on weekends, including the normal early evening service. The 5C runs along Oxford Road and connects many important tourist attractions, including Sandton City, The [email protected], and The Mall of Rosebank. Contact Metrobus on +27 (0)11 375-5555 (Ext. 6) for more information on routes and timetables Metrobus is by far one of the safest and cheapest methods of getting around Sandton, and the City of Johannesburg. It must be noted, however, that Metrobus is not an alternative to private (hired) transport.
- Nelson Mandela Statue, Nelson Mandela Square, Sandton City. The 6 m bronze statue of Nelson Mandela is a favorite photo spot for tourists.
- Gallery on the Square, Nelson Mandela Square, ☎ +27 (0)11 784-2847 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 784-2849), . Mon to Sat 9AM to 6PM. Exhibitions of South African and international art
- Theatre on the Square, Nelson Mandela Square, ☎ +27 (0)11 883-8606 (, [email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 883-9673), . Shows Sat 6PM and 9PM, Tue to Fri 8:15PM. Usually R100 per person.
- Sandton City, 5th St, ☎ +27 (0)11 217-6000 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 883-0978), . Open 9AM to 6PM Mon to Sat and 10AM to 4PM Sun. An extremely vibrant and popular shopping mall that dominated the Sandton area. It is affordable, but be prepared to pay a bit for the good quality that you buy. There are many unique shops here as well as typical South African franchises and even some British stores. You could easily spend an entire day here,
- Village Walk Shopping Centre, Cnr Maude and Rivonia Rd, ☎ +27 (0)11 783-4620 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 783-2003), . Mon to Fri 9AM to 6PM, Sat 9AM to 4PM and Sun 9AM to 1PM. Smaller and quieter than Sandton City
Sandton City Mall
Nelson Mandela Square at night
Nelson Mandela Square at Sandton City  offers a number of restaurants to choose from, as well as a food court with fast food outlets.
- Baglios, Nelson Mandela Square, . Eat delicious hand-made ice cream at the "Bagelos" store.
- The Bull Run, 20 Maude Street, Sandton (Just between Sandton City Mall and Village Walk Shopping Centre), ☎ + 27 (0)11 884-1400, .
- The Butcher Shop & Grill, Nelson Mandela Square, ☎ +27 (0)11 784-8676, .
- Pappas on the Square, Nelson Mandela Square, ☎ +27 (0)11 884-9991, .
- Saxon Hotel has one of the best restaurants in Johannesburg. It is the hotel where Nelson Mandela stayed shortly after being released from prison and where he wrote his book ´Long Walk to Freedom´. This is where you will have one of the best gourmet meals in the city, but you need to have deep pockets.
- Trumps International Grillhouse, Nelson Mandela Square, ☎ +27 (0)11 784-2366, .
- Wangthai, Nelson Mandela Square, ☎ +27 (0)11 784-8484 (fax: +27 (0)11 783-2368), .
The Greater Sandton areas has many modern excellent restaurants.
- Col’Cacchio, Benmore Gardens Shopping Centre, Cnr Benmore Road & Grayston Drive, ☎ +27 (0)11 783 7650, . Excellent stylish pizzeria chain found across South Africa. Offers a large variety of pizza and pasta
- Riverside Café & Bistro, Village Walk Shopping Centre, Maude Street Entrance, ☎ +27 (0)11 7843390/1, . Offers excellent pasta
- The Raj, Rivonia Junction, Cnr Rivonia Road and Mutual Ave, ☎ +27 11 807 0471, . Delicious rich Indian food
- Ocean Basket, Melrose Square Melrose Arch Corlett Dr Melrose & Sandton City Mall, . Really good fish restaurant chain found across South Africa, good prices and quality food
- M&A, Edward Nathan Building, Cnr West & Maude Street, ☎ +27 (0)11 783 4134. Good selection of Italian food
- Taboo, 24 Central, Cnr Fredman Dr and Gwen Lane, ☎ +27 (0)11 783-2200 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 783-2217), .
- Vida e Caffe, Found scattered all across Sandton area, . Great coffee and vibrant service
Sandton skyline from the Village Walk Center looking over the Balalaika Hotel towards Sandton City and the Michelangelo hotel
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under R500
|| R500 to R1500
|| Over R1500
For cheap accommodation, you need to go to look in the other areas.
- City Lodge, Cnr Katherine Street and Grayston Drive, ☎ +27 (0)11 444-5300 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 444-5315), . From around R800 for a double.
- Glenalmond Hotel, 130 Daisy Street (Located near the city's financial institutions and commercial establishments, Glenalmond Hotel in Sandton, South Africa stands along Daisy Street. Accessible from the Tambo Airport, you can get to the hotel by following the R24 motorway towards Johannesburg. Take the N1 Split towards Pretoria. Proceed straight on to Marlboro Road and take a left on Katherine Street until Grayston Drive.), ☎ 011 783 7127 ([email protected]), . Rates start at 899.00 ZAR.
- Balalaika Hotel, Maude Street, ☎ +27 (0)11 322-5000 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 322-5021), . From R500pps.
- Southern Sun Grayston, Cnr Rivonia Rd and Grayston Dr., ☎ +27 (0)11 783-5262 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 783-5289), . From around R600 for a double.
- Town Lodge, Cnr Grayston Dr and Webber Rd, ☎ +27 (0)11 784-8850 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 784-8888), . From R776 per room.
- Blue Chip Accommodation, . Provides various self catering apartments around the Sandton/Johannesburg area which enables the traveler to feel more at home. The apartments have fully equipped kitchens as well as a lounge with a television/prepaid telephone, bathroom/s, bedroom/s and either private balconies or gardens. All located in secure complexes with 24 hr guard and swimming pool.
- The Colony, 130 Daisy Str, ☎ +27 (0)11 784-1930 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 784-1939), . From R 1095 per room per night.
- The Courtyard, 130 Rivonia Rd, ☎ +27 (0)11 884-5500 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 884-5501), . From around R900 for a double.
- The Don Sandton I, 3 Rivonia Rd, ☎ +27 (0)11 268-6600 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 268-6606), . From R1000 per single and R1500 per double.
- The Don Sandton IV, 115 Pretoria Ave, ☎ +27 (0)11 883-5814 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 883-0724), . From R1100 per person.
- Execulet, ☎ +27 (0)11 326-4532 ([email protected]), . Fully furnished apartments for short-term and long-term rental. A full range of more than 100 privately managed apartments ranging from budget studios to luxury executive suits.
- Garden Court Sandton, Cnr Katherine Str and Rivonia Rd, ☎ +27 (0)11 884-5660 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 783-2004), .
- Garden Court Sandton City, Cnr West and Maude Str, ☎ +27 (0)11 269-7000 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 269-7100), .
- Michelangelo, Sandton City, ☎ +27 (0)11 282-7000 ([email protected]), .
- Park Plaza, 84 Katherine Str, ☎ +27 (0)11 555-4000 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 555-4007).
- Sandton Hilton, 138 Rivonia Rd, ☎ +27 (0)11 322-1888 (fax: +27 (0)11 322-1818), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM.
- Sandton Sun, Cnr Fifth and Alice Str, ☎ +27 (0)11 780-5000 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)11 780-5002), .
Cheap Wi-Fi is available in many locations throughout Sandton:
- Sandton City
- Nelson Mandela Square
- Sandton Convention Centre
Many hotels are also have their own Wi-Fi hotspots.