Jember is a city and regency district in East Java.
This is East Java's third largest city after Surabaya and Malang. Whilst not the most attractive or interesting of cities, it does have decent facilities for visitors and makes a good base for exploring the southern part of the East Java region. Reaching the remote Sukamade turtle conservation area is often tackled from here.
Any visitors should note though that Jember is a big commercial centre and is almost invariably congested and crowded.
Tourism Information Offices
- Jember Tourism Office , Jl Gajah Mada No 325, Jember. Tel +62 331 425471.
- Meru Betiri National Park Office: Jl Sriwijaya 53, Jember 68121, East Java, Tel/Fax: +62 331 321530, E-mail: [email protected] Excellent first stop for information about visiting the turtle conservation facility at Sukamade and other parts of the national park.
Jember is on the main East Java line and there are many services linking it with other cities in the region and in Central Java. Longer distance rail access from Jakarta involves a change in Jogjakarta or Surabaya. Check the PT Kereta Api (Persero) website for detailed schedules. There are 2 slow local trains from Banyuwangi to Jember for 8000 Rp, start in Banyuwangi 9.45 an 20.00. The journey takes 3 hours.
The main long distance bus terminal is called Tawang Alun and is about 5km west of the city centre. This is serviced by buses from Banyuwangi (about 2 hours), Surabaya (about 5 hours), Malang (about 5 hours) and many other smaller towns in East Java.
If you want to visit beach like Tanjung Papuma, Payangan, Watu Ulo or another destination around it. You can get bus from Surabaya directly to Ambulu. But, there will only economy class bus and the tourist facilities in Ambulu aren't much.
Garuda Indonesia has recently opened a once-daily flight route from Surabaya to Jember, which is estimated to take half an hour.
The main taxi company in Jember is called Argo and they have a telephone booking service: +62 331 424242.
Local buses and bemos are everywhere.
All of the local hotels will offer tours or help you with booking independent transport for seeing the key local sights (almost all of which are very rural and involve a lot of travelling).
However, there will not any public transportation to the travel destination in Jember (like Tanjung Papuma Beach, Payangan, etc). The best choice is rent a motorcycle or car.
- Watu Ulo Beach and Papuma Beach, (30 km south of Jember city centre). It is strange that the not very attractive Watu Ulo is the better known of these two nearby beaches. Papuma is by far the nicer of the two and many regard it as the best beach in the whole of East Java. The beach at Watu Ulo is black sand and the large rock from which the beach takes it name (Watu Ulo means Snake Rock in Javanesse language) juts impressively out of the ocean just offshore. Papuma is pristine white sand, a nicer shape and just altogether a better experience. Both beaches border the western edge of the Meru Betiri National Park and this is a beautifully wild area. It does get crowded at weekends and during school holidays with day trippers from Jember but otherwise it is quiet and an excellent place to get away from it all. There are no buses from Jember to Watu Ulo. you can arrange a car and driver at your hotel or take an ojek or bemo (between 50k and 100k). Once at Watu Ulo there is no shortage of ojek and bemo transport to take you over to Papuma or to the even quieter fishing village at Mayangan Beach just to the east. edit
- Go to Sukamade to visit the turtle conservation facility. The full details of this are covered in the Sukamade article. Whilst in Jember, a visit to the national park office to obtain some advance information and purchase permits is not a bad idea. Contact details below.
Once you visit Jember, something that you cannot miss is to buy gifts. There are various gifts from Jember. One of that is traditional food made from fermented tapioca called Tape. It has sweet and sour flavor and often gives warm feel on your body. The other thing is Suwar Suwir. It is basically also made from fermented tapioca, but slightly modified to other shape and can be grouped as sweets. It has sweet flavor as well. A lot of shops sell those food. One popular shop is "Primadona", located next to Pasar Tanjung. Here, you can also find Brownies Tape. It is brownies cake as you usually know, with the flavor of tape. You can also go to Hardys supermarket, located in Jl. Raya Sultan Agung or Matahari Department store.
As always in Indonesian cities, there is an enormous number of street vendors and simple restaurants to choose from. Follow the local crowds is always the best advice.
- Mulyasari Restaurant, Jl Sultan Agung, Jember. Simple eatery that offers the Central Java speciality of nasi gudeg (stewed young jackfruit) edit
- Sari Utama, Jl Gajah Mada No27, Jember, ☎ +62 331 487092. The best Chinese retaurant in Jember. Brash, bright and noisy as you would expect but excellent food. edit
- Mie Ayam GNI. edit
- RM Jatim. edit
- Depot Jawa Timur- great restaurant with fast service. It's a charming mix of old and new with a wide menu selection. Try it if you are downtown near Alun-Alun. Jalan Gatot Subroto No. 8.
- Sate (skewers of chicken or beef)- There is a great Sate street (great peanut sauce!!) stand next to "Sari Buah"ruit store on Jalan Trunojoyo near the Granmedia store past Golden Market grocery store.
- Mie Apong- this is a Jember instittuion for great "Mie" or noodles. They serve big portions and the half portion is almost as big as the full portion. Use the sauces on the table to spice it up or add flavor. There is one near the Mata Hari grocery store- the original. There is a new one on Jalan Jawa between the campuses of UNMUH and UNEJ.
Conato bakery and cafe
Modern bakery with cafe
A unique taste for nasi goreng ,mie goreng , and noodles
- Conato bakery, Roxi square. edit
- Kedai mie, Sumatra. A unique taste for noodles and various of fried rice edit
Most of the hotels in Jember city are aimed at local business travellers. This tends to mean that they are efficient and clean but not the most interesting of places. The more rural options may appeal more to overseas visitors.
- Hotel Bandung Permai, Jl Hayam Wuruk No38 Jember., ☎ +62 331 484528. A business hotel with a convenient city location and lage swimming pool. 55 rooms. From Rp 220,000. edit
- Cendrawasih Hotel, Jl Cendrawasih no 22, ☎ 0331-412222, . 50.000-350.000. edit
- Kalibaru Cottages, Jl Raya Jember, Kalibaru, Banyuwangi (on the main road from Jember to Banuwangi, 43 km east of Jember), ☎ +62 333 897333 ([email protected]), . This hotel has a pleasant rural setting with rooms that are good value for the prices asked. Large swimming pool and restaurant. Offer a full program of East Java regional tours. From US$ 50. edit
- Margo Utomo Agro Resort, Jalan Lapangan 10, Kajarharjo, Kalibaru, East Java, Indonesia (about 40 km east of Jember), ☎ +62 333 897700 ([email protected]), . A truly lovely place run by fine people. This started as a tiny homestay which was a huge success and the owners have expanded to the point where there are now 51 rooms. Big swimming pool and gorgeous grounds. Offer lots of rural based activities and tours including visiting Sukamade Beach. From US$ 45. edit
- Panorama Hotel, Jl KH Agus Salim No 28, Jember, ☎ +62 331333666 ([email protected]), . Probably the best hotel in the city centre with a wide range of options from fairly cheap standard rooms up to luxury suites. Decent restaurant, fitness centre and .. errr.. VIP karaoke rooms. edit
- Rembangan Hotel, Jl Rembangan 65, Baratan, Patrang, Jember 68112, ☎ +62 331 420273. In a nice rural setting in the hills 12 km north of Jember city centre. From about Rp 250,000. edit
- Hotel Sulawesi, Jln. Letjen Suprapto no. 48 (East Java Jember), ☎ +62 331-5039555. checkout: 12:00. A great hotel, located up on a large hill in central Jember with an good view.The hotel is constantly being maintained. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. The staff are very friendly and the Coffee shop is open 24hrs with a full menu. Easy to get to on yellow local transportation called 'lin' with letter G. 225000-450000. edit
- Hotel Slamet, Jl Anggrek II. Three minutes from the train station, just a place to sleep. Most rooms lacks natural light, the only one with an outside window lacks the fan. 40-50000 IDR. edit
The telephone area code for Jember is 0331
- Banyuwangi Take a bus from Pakusari terminal.it cost 30,000rp or less to Banyuwangi.
- Bali There are direct local buses to Bali, cost around 75,000rp from Pakusari terminal the bus will drop you in Denpasar station in Bali. didn't see any private AC buses but if this is a big deal take a bus to Banyuwangi then a private bus from there.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!