Ilhéus is a city in Bahia, located approximately 450 km south of state capital Salvador. This city of 180 000 inhabitants is also the hometown of Jorge Amado, maybe the best-known modern Brazilian writer.
The City was founded in 1534 and its full name was then Vila de São Jorge dos Ilhéus. It was one of the most important producers of cocoa but nowadays it depends mostly on tourism and industry.
Closest international airport is in Salvador. TAM, TRIP and GOL have daily direct flights from Salvador, Belo Horizonte, Porto Seguro and São Paulo to the local airport of Jorge Amado, which is just five minutes away from the city by car.
From north or south, drive BR-101 to Itabuna, then take BR-415 eastward to Ilhéus. If you're coming from Salvador, take the ferry boat aand avoid the hard traffic of the trucks in the BR-101 by taking the BA-001 instead.
The bus station in Ilhéus is located 3,5 km west of the city centre. A local bus ride from station to the centre of Ilhéus will take about 10 minutes and costs 2,20 R$.
- Porto de Malhado - The harbor is one of the most importants of the Bahia State and receives around 20 cruisers in the high season.
- Natural Beauty and Beaches
- Praias do Sul (South Beach)
- Praias do Norte (North Beach)
- Lagoa Encantada
- Estância Hidromineral de Olivença (Hidromineral Waterpark os Olivença)
- Balneário de Tororomba (Tororomba Waterpark)
- Morro de Pernambuco (Pernambuco Hill, in Nova Brasilia neighborhood)
- Oiteiro de São Sebastião (at the back of the Cathedral, it's where the city was founded and still have the ancient canons used for defense in the beggining of the colonization)
- Praia do Cristo (Christ Beach)
- Cahoeira do Apepique (Apepique Waterfall)
- Calçadão Jorge Amado (pedonal shopping street)
- Avenida Soares Lopes (main avenue near the cathedral)
- Teatro Municipal (City Theater)
- Cine Theatro Ilhéos (Cinema)
- Biblioteca Municipal (City Library)
- Centro Cultural Bataclan (Cultural Center Bataclan)
- Palácio Paranaguá (City Hall)
- Casario secular
- Monuments e Memorials
- Cristo Redentor
- Escultura na Praia do Malhado
- Igrejas e Templos
- Catedral de São Sebastião
- Convento e Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Piedade
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora das Vitórias
- Igreja São Jorge
- Capela de Senhora Santana
- House of Jorge Amado. The house of the world famous novelist Jorge Amado. Mon-Fri 9-12 and 14-16, Sat 9-13, Sun 15-17.
- Feira de Artesanato
- Centro Histórico
- Bar Vesúvio
- Centro de Convenções
Do not miss the visit to a cocoa farm, you'll learn everything about the manufacturing of chocolate.
While visiting the Mercado de Artesanato you'll have the opportunity to know the local handcraft production form clothing to musical instruments.
- Casa da Moqueca
- Tempero Nativo
- Bar Vesuvio, Praça Dom Eduardo 190 . Taste a bit of history by having a drink at Bar Vesuvio. Jorge Amado used to write his novels there and even used the bar as décor in one of his books.
- Another option is the Bar Barrakitica which is considered on of the 100 best bars in Brazil. The bar is located near Jorge Amado's house downtown.
- In Nova Brasilia barrio, the locals and the tourists mingle in the Mar Aberto nightclub.
- Pousada dos Hibiscus, Rua F, quadra 15, lote 139, ☎ 73 3632 1080, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: noon. Lovely pousada directly on a sea-shore, 2 km south of Ilheus airport, offering twelve rooms, all with a sea view. 120,00-230,00.