Clear Lake is a district of Houston.
Clear Lake lies to the southeast of downtown, towards Galveston. The Clear Lake area includes the communities of Clear Lake, Friendswood, Webster, and Pearland.
A large sheltered bay and the area around it is a local recreation center. The area is home to NASA's Johnson Space Center, a smaller medical center, and seafood vendors. The area's boating opportunities are considered second only to those of Miami. Fishing, swimming, hiking, and history are also popular activities in the area.
- Space Center Houston, 1601 NASA Road 1, Webster (I-45 to NASA Parkway Eastbound via bypass, left turn at light into parking area. U-turn at Saturn Lane if passed. Left turn on Saturn Lane and right into Johnson Space Center for employees and official visitors only.), ☎ 281-244-2100, . Summer hours: June 10am-7pm, July 9am-7pm, August 10am-5pm, 10am-7pm Weekends. Winter hours: Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat-Sun 10am-6pm.. Indoor fun space museum with lots of hands-on space-science exhibits and artifacts from the full history of U.S. space exploration. A big hit with kids, but informative for adults. A highlight are the two tram tours of NASA's Johnson Space Center, one of which includes a visit to Mission Control and actual Apollo and Mercury launch vehicles, the other focuses on astronaut training facilities. Discount coupons are found in many local hotel brochures. $17.95 Adults, $13.95 Children (4-11), discounts for seniors. Parking $5. (29.551975,-95.098386)
There are several marinas that offer various yachting services. Consider chartering a sailboat for half a day, or looking into a weekend-long sailing certification course.
- At the Helm Charters and Sailing School, ☎ 281-334-4101.
- Captain Kidd Charters, ☎ 281-334-5433.
- Houston Yacht Sales Inc., ☎ 281-334-1400.
- Lighthouse Charters, ☎ 713-822-0825.
The area is renowned for its fishing. Red Drum are a popular hunt, as are croaker, flounder, and trout.
- Flipt, 243 Marina Bay Dr, ☎ 281-334-6506. Sporting goods, including kayaks and canoes.
- Marburgers Sporting Goods, 1400 Bayport Blvd, Seabrook (north on TX-146, just over the bridge, an orange building on the right side), ☎ 281-474-3229. Outfit for hunting or fishing. Knowledgable staff, decent selection.
- Baybrook Mall, 500 Baybrook Mall (IH-45 South at Bay Area Blvd.), Friendswood, ☎ 281-488-4620. 10-9 Mo-Sa, 11-7 Su.
- Tokyo Bowl, 2402 Bay Area Blvd., ☎ 281-480-5311. Japanese fast food. $10.
- Chabuca's, 316 NASA-1, Webster, ☎ 281-554-8000 ([email protected], fax: 281-332-5029), . South American style food and buffet, great atmosphere.
- BJ's Restaurant and Brewery, 515 W. Bay Area Blvd., Webster, ☎ 281-316-3037 (fax: 281-316-4213), . 11 am - 12 am MO-TH, 11 am - 1 am FR. A brewpub with several house brews and a variety of microbrews available. $4/pt.
- BJ's Restaurant and Brewery, 515 W. Bay Area Blvd., Webster (I-45 to Bay Area Blvd Eastbound, past 3 lights and on right.), ☎ 281-316-3037 (fax: 281-316-4213), . 11 am - 12 am MO-TH, 11 am - 1 am FR. A brewpub with several BJ's signature brews (their recipes brewed locally by St. Arnold's Brewery in NW Houston) and a variety of microbrews available. $4/pt.
- The Outpost Tavern, 18113 Egret Bay Blvd. (At NASA-1), ☎ 281-333-1235 ([email protected]), . Dingy local bar with a colorful crowd, (inaccurately) portrayed as an astronaut hangout in movies like Space Cowboys and Rocketman (but no less worth the visit). Building was originally located near Ellington Field during the early days of the space program, and moved to be closer to Johnson Space Center.
- Best Western NASA, 889 W Bay Area Boulevard, +1 281 338-6000, Fax: +1 281 338-2834, .
- Microtel Inn & Suites - Clear Lake, 1620 Nasa Rd 1, 281-335-0800.  Economy/budget hotel offering guests free local and free long distance calls in the continental United States, and free wireless high-speed Internet access in every room of their hotels, as well as advance online check-in and check-out with unlimited access to online folio information.
- Motel 6 Houston - NASA, 1001 West NASA Road 1, +1 281 332-4581, Fax: +1 281 332-0341, .
- Alvin - About 10 miles down Route 528 is the hometown of famous baseball pitcher Nolan Ryan.