Street in the old part of Horsens
Horsens is a city in eastern Jutland with a population of around 55,000. Already during the Viking age it was a settlement called Horsnes. The name probably referred to the breeding of large numbers of horses in the area.
Horsens is located at the end of a beautiful fjord which can be viewed from the harbor. The fjord is the typical Danish kind with rolling hills and forests that stretches all the way down to the water.
It takes 28 mins to reach Horsens from Aarhus by DSB Intercity trains, the main train service operating in Denmark. Horsens is two stops from Aarhus towards Copenhagen on the main line running from Frederikshavn in north to Copenhagen.
The nearest airport is Billund Airport, the country's second largest airport.
There is also a smaller airport in Tirstrup, north of Aarhus. Passengers arriving at that airport and are depending on public transportation will have to catch the airport coach into Aarhus station and then a train from Aarhus to Horsens.
From Copenhagen, Horsens can be reached with trains running from Copenhagen Airport Kastrup. The journey time is approx. 2 ½ to 3 hours (most often passengers will have to change trains at the main station in Copenhagen).
A ticket purchased on a local bus is valid for one hour and costs DKK 20. A ten-trips card costs DKK 115, each trip is valid for an hour as well. A great way to discover Horsens is by bike. You can rent bikes at different locations, ask at the tourist office located at Søndergade 28.
Bygholm Park, Vitus Berings Park and Søndergade (High Street).
The museums and special churches.
- FÆNGSLET (The Prison), Fussingsvej 8, 8700 Horsens, ☎ 76100011, . The former Horsens State Prison was in active use from 1853 to 2006, when the newly built East Jutland State Prison took over. The foundation FÆNGSLET now runs the cultural institution of the same name in the imposing buildings, which house the Prison Museum and various conference and business facilities as well as several large concerts and events throughout the year.
One of the largest cultural events in Horsens is the annual European Medieval Festival on the last Friday and Saturday in August. The town centre of Horsens is transformed into the largest medieval market town in Northern Europe with activities and entertainment for families and children of all ages.
- Bytorv Horsens, (on the highstreet, Søndergade). A shoppingcentre.
- Bilka, Høegh Guldbergsgade 10. The largest supermarket in the town of Horsens.
- L'estragon (Restaurant), Sønderbrogade 4, 8700 Horsens, ☎ (+45) 75 61 53 03, . Restaurant L'estragon takes the French kitchen as its starting point and combines it with ingredients and methods of preparation from all over the world.
- Cafe Corfitz (Cafe and restaurant), Søndergade 21, DK-8700 Horsens, ☎ (+45) 7562 8844.
- China House (Restaurant), Søndergade 15, ☎ (+45) 75623132.
There is a wide selection of cafées and bars in Horsens
- Café Gran, Grønnegade 15.
- Hekkenfeldt, Graven 17-19.
There are a few primitive, but free, camping grounds  available.
- Best Western Hotel Danica, Ove Jensens Alle 28, ☎ +45 7561 6022 ([email protected], fax: +45 7561 6663), . From DKK 895. (55.8595,9.8461)
- Jørgensen Hotel, "Søndergade (centrally), ☎ (+45) 7562 1600 ([email protected], fax: +45 7562 8585), . From DKK 695. (55.8621,9.8475)
- Scandic Hotel Bygholm Park, Schüttesvej 6, ☎ +45 7562 2333 ([email protected], fax: +45 7561 3105), . From DKK 750. (55.8649,9.8262)
- Danhostel Horsens Vandrerhjem (Youth hostel), Flintebakken 150, ☎ +45 7561 6777 ([email protected], fax: +45 7561 0871), . From DKK 400, shared room from DKK 200. (55.8737,9.8659)
- Hotel Opus Horsens, Egebjergvej 1, ☎ +45 7625 7200 ([email protected], fax: +45 7625 7201), . From DKK 875. (55.8776,9.84238)
- TeaterHotellet.dk, Søndergade 22, 2nd floor (on the main street), ☎ +45 7627 8500 ([email protected], fax: +45 76278511), . Singles from DKK 995. (55.8618,9.8476)
- Motel Thorsvang, Vejlevej 58-60, ☎ +45 7564 2530 ([email protected], fax: +45 7564 7720), . From DKK 400. (55.8461,9.8242)
The city of Aarhus can be reached by intercity trains within 30 mins while the town of Vejle is about quarter of an hour away by train in opposite direction, towards Copenhagen.