| || |
| || |
Revision as of 06:29, 5 August 2009
Hope  is a small town at the far east of the Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Hope is famous for being the gateway to the interior of British Columbia, and serves as the junction of several major highways.
In the early 1980s, Hope was selected as the filming location for Rambo: First Blood. Local residents take great pride in this and visitors' maps are likely to include a detailed listing of locations to visit for Rambo fans.
- Highway 1 (the Trans-Canada highway) travels from Vancouver in the west north to Cache Creek and Kamloops through the scenic Fraser Canyon.
- Highway 5 (the Coquihalla highway) is a controlled access freeway that winds high through the mountains north-east to Merritt and Kamloops.
- Highway 3 (the Crowsnest highway) travels east to Manning Park, and on to Princeton and Osoyoos.
- Highway 7 (the Loughheed highway) doubles back west on the north bank of the Fraser River to Mission, Coquitlam, and eventually Vancouver.
The nearest major international airport is Vancouver Internation Airport (YVR), 155km west in Vancouver. There is also the Abbotsford International Airport, 70km west in Abbotsford. Abbotsford Airport offers fewer connecting flights but it is much closer and easier to navigate. The airport is service by several car rental agencies.
The town of Hope is small, and can be crossed on foot or by bicycle.
- Hope Vistor Centre & Museum, 919 Water Street, +1 604 869-2021 / +1 866 467-3842 (toll-free). This is a good place to stop if you're looking for travel information, including brochures, maps and self-guided tour routes. There is a small museum (open from mid-May to early September) and a gift shop. Some staff members are very knowledgeable about the filming of Rambo: First Blood in Hope, and you may be able to arrange a guided tour of the sites if you call ahead.
- Hope Arts Gallery, 349 Fort Street, +1 604 869-2408, . 9:30AM-5:30PM daily. Works by local artists. Free.
- Doc's Carving Gallery, 314 Hudson Bay Street, +1 604 869-0555. Collection of chainsaw carvings created by a local chiropractor. Admission by donation.
- Self-guided walking and driving tour of Rambo: First Blood filming locations in and around Hope 
- Self-guided tour of chainsaw carvings, Various locations in and around Hope. Hope is home to over 30 large chainsaw carvings, mostly of British Columbia wildlife.
- Hope Cinema, 376 Wallace Street, +1 604 869-0752, . Tues., Fri.-Sun. Cinema showing mainstream movies.
- Hope Recreation Complex, 1005 6th Avenue, +1 604 869-2304, . Includes a swimming pool, arena, and fitness centre.
- Whitewater Rafting on the Fraser River. Various companies offer rafting trips so you may want to pick up some brochures or seek advice from the Hope Visitor Centre. Most tours must be booked well in advance.
- Mountain Biking. Numerous decommissioned logging roads and the Kettle Valley Railway bed provide hundreds of kilometers of trails.
- Kawkawa Creek (Suckers Creek). This is one of the best locations in Hope to see salmon spawn. Fall is a particularly active time of year to witness salmon running upstream.
- Hope Golf Club, 900 Golf Course Road, ☎ +1 604-869-5881, .
- Hiking the many nearby trails. The trail to the lookout is recommended.
- Fort Hope Trading Post, 296 Hudson Bay St, +1 604 860-4030, . Tu-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 9:30AM-5PM. Antiques and collectibles.
- Blue Moose Cafe, 322 Wallace St, +1 604 869-0729, . M-Sa 8AM-10PM, Su 9AM-10PM. Coffee drinks and quick meals. Internet cafe. Live music. Licensed. $4-$10.
- Skinnys Grille, ??, +1 604 869-5713, . Full service restaurant. Live music.
- Kimchi Japanese & Korean Restaurant 821A - 6 Avenue. Sushi and Korean food.
- Best Western Heritage Inn, 570 Old Hope-Princeton Way, ☎ (604) 869-7166.
- Manning Park
- Skagit Valley Provincial Park 
- Fraser Canyon and the Hell's Gate Airtram, 43111 Trans Canada Hwy in Boston Bar, . The drive along the Fraser Canyon from Hope to Boston Bar is a beautiful journey. The tram ride over the Fraser River is short but very scenic. Enjoy the ride, but don't expect much from the touristy gift shops, fudge factory and children's activities at the bottom of the ride.